Men's Basketball Schedule 2022-2023

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
The Shadow

Men's Basketball Schedule 2022-2023

Post by The Shadow »

According to D1 Docket, Iona at HU, Friday, November 11th. I figured I would start a new topic for the upcoming season.
triplec2195

Re: Men's Basketball Schedule 2022-2023

Post by triplec2195 »

The Shadow wrote:According to D1 Docket, Iona at HU, Friday, November 11th. I figured I would start a new topic for the upcoming season.
This is good hopefully we win this game and hopefully we can get some decent schools in here OOC. Now we will be playing regularly Monmouth and SB. Just don't need soft schools on this schedule.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Thanks Shadow.

Would really like HU to play in a big time well known tournament that many other mids seem to do. HU needs more experience playing in tough tourney's to get them in better position to win the CAAT.

The one off games are great, all for it, they are important to the schedule and development, but HU really doesn't understand yet how to play and win tournaments consistently, and this could help them. Let's see an awesome weekend battle-testing on the docket this year.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

HU vs UMass at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn on Sunday, December 11th listed on D1 Docket. St. Bonaventure vs Iona is the other game. This is part of a Hall of Fame series of games with more to be announced.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Wow I like those matchups.
ZMAN3

Post by ZMAN3 »

Now if someone could only guarantee my safety going into Brooklyn I'm in
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

ZMAN3 wrote:Now if someone could only guarantee my safety going into Brooklyn I'm in
Are you scared going in to Brooklyn? Is there a major problem at Barclay's? I've never been there.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Barclay's is next to the LIRR terminal. Maybe a five-minute walk across a wide-open plaza.
CTDutch

Post by CTDutch »

I have been to Barclay's 4-5 times for college BB, including the Dutch several years ago. Never a hint of a problem. And Sunday afternoon will even make it better.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

ZMAN3 wrote:Now if someone could only guarantee my safety going into Brooklyn I'm in
Most of Brooklyn, and especially around Barclays, has been gentrified for decades now and you'd barely be outside since arena is across street from LIRR station.
ZMAN3

Post by ZMAN3 »

I've been there and didn't have a problem but NYC is not what it was a few years ago. I'll watch on TV
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

ZMAN3 wrote:I've been there and didn't have a problem but NYC is not what it was a few years ago. I'll watch on TV
Your loss. I go into city all the time for work and have had zero issues.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

HofstraPride1 wrote:
ZMAN3 wrote:I've been there and didn't have a problem but NYC is not what it was a few years ago. I'll watch on TV
Your loss. I go into city all the time for work and have had zero issues.
Me too. This is nothing. I'm old enough to remember when it was really bad, 30 years ago. Don't believe everything you read/watch. I feel less safe in Hempstead.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Actually its the LIRR and not the NYC subway
After that its a one block walk to Barclays
Should be no problem
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

So be it sounds like a good venue for a basketball game. Hopefully good sight lines. If it's good enough for the Nets it's good enough for us.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Great venue for basketball, not for hockey! Been there numerous times with no issues whatsoever...easy trip on the LIRR.
CTDutch

Post by CTDutch »

HUSID80 wrote:Great venue for basketball, not for hockey! Been there numerous times with no issues whatsoever...easy trip on the LIRR.
Ditto!!
Polito

Post by Polito »

Love this OOC game, really great add - UMass is poised to go through a big turnaround after hiring a fantastic coach in Martin. Will be year 1, so a good chance to catch them before they rise up again.

I have been to Barclays for a few events, including for HU. I mean, it's ok - I certainly wouldn't call it awesome by any means. It's a very weird setup and layout. prettier from the outside than in. The surrounding area is eh...so-so. The main entrance where you first walk in has that really cool view, but outside of that, it's pretty average - cramped and crowded facilities and walkways. It's ok for hoops, but let's relax, it's not some incredible place to watch a college basketball game lol.

But that said, I am a fan of HU hoops playing in any of the big arenas in the tri-state, it's a good thing, and good for recruiting.

As far as NYC, I will just say that the reality is likely somewhere in between both extremes I see here. It's not the apocalypse, but it ain't Pleasantville either. I personally have no desire to be there, so happy I work from home and don't have to face any of the potential nonsense. Will never go back to the daily commute. But not everyone can do that. City life still has to exist, and I fully respect that. Doesn't mean I haven't or wouldn't attend something in NYC as a one-off. I have, and will, especially for business/work related aspects. But bring my family in for a 'fun' day in the 'great; NYC, nah, no thanks. Not right now. Just my personal choice at this time. No issue with anyone who chooses the opposite.

I would say some of you would probably learn a bit more chatting with a few NYPD folks directly. Real life is a bit different compared to the vanilla groundhog day commute from Ronkonkoma to the X block radius by Penn or Times Square or FiDi. Thinking that little world is all that's really going on is naive. And to downplay or pretend like NYC is "A-OK!" is an insult to everyone who has been hurt, killed, or murdered during these wild times.

The data shows the worst crime in NYC is very high, and has jumped YoY. That's not political, it's just a fact. Plenty of credible sources. The NYPD is not in a position right now to fully enforce or uphold the law. It's a dicey situation for them. I am fortunate to have direct contact with a variety of sergeants, detectives, chief inspectors, and more, so this isn't some 'Polito' thing. Just bringing some perspective to the convo. Some great people out there having an awful time.

Now does that mean you can't step foot in the city w/out running for your life? Of course not. Again, it's somewhere in the middle. There is plenty of NYC life happening day in and out in a perfectly safe manner, school is still in session, people are still going to and from work, sporting and music events are in full swing. There is still plenty good. I'm sure it's not the best nor the worse it's ever been. It's a mix of decent and not.

So I would say let's not pretend that NYC is just fine, it isn't, but we don't need to fear monger everything either. It is what it is. Everyone just needs to make the choice that's right for them, and like in all cities, be very careful when you are out and about.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

I went to Barclays a couple months ago for the ACC tournament and I can't say I feared for my life but the area definitely had gone down hill from a few years ago. Anyone that says differently is just lying.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

Polito wrote:Love this OOC game, really great add - UMass is poised to go through a big turnaround after hiring a fantastic coach in Martin. Will be year 1, so a good chance to catch them before they rise up again.

I have been to Barclays for a few events, including for HU. I mean, it's ok - I certainly wouldn't call it awesome by any means. It's a very weird setup and layout. prettier from the outside than in. The surrounding area is eh...so-so. The main entrance where you first walk in has that really cool view, but outside of that, it's pretty average - cramped and crowded facilities and walkways. It's ok for hoops, but let's relax, it's not some incredible place to watch a college basketball game lol.

But that said, I am a fan of HU hoops playing in any of the big arenas in the tri-state, it's a good thing, and good for recruiting.

As far as NYC, I will just say that the reality is likely somewhere in between both extremes I see here. It's not the apocalypse, but it ain't Pleasantville either. I personally have no desire to be there, so happy I work from home and don't have to face any of the potential nonsense. Will never go back to the daily commute. But not everyone can do that. City life still has to exist, and I fully respect that. Doesn't mean I haven't or wouldn't attend something in NYC as a one-off. I have, and will, especially for business/work related aspects. But bring my family in for a 'fun' day in the 'great; NYC, nah, no thanks. Not right now. Just my personal choice at this time. No issue with anyone who chooses the opposite.

I would say some of you would probably learn a bit more chatting with a few NYPD folks directly. Real life is a bit different compared to the vanilla groundhog day commute from Ronkonkoma to the X block radius by Penn or Times Square or FiDi. Thinking that little world is all that's really going on is naive. And to downplay or pretend like NYC is "A-OK!" is an insult to everyone who has been hurt, killed, or murdered during these wild times.

The data shows the worst crime in NYC is very high, and has jumped YoY. That's not political, it's just a fact. Plenty of credible sources. The NYPD is not in a position right now to fully enforce or uphold the law. It's a dicey situation for them. I am fortunate to have direct contact with a variety of sergeants, detectives, chief inspectors, and more, so this isn't some 'Polito' thing. Just bringing some perspective to the convo. Some great people out there having an awful time.

Now does that mean you can't step foot in the city w/out running for your life? Of course not. Again, it's somewhere in the middle. There is plenty of NYC life happening day in and out in a perfectly safe manner, school is still in session, people are still going to and from work, sporting and music events are in full swing. There is still plenty good. I'm sure it's not the best nor the worse it's ever been. It's a mix of decent and not.

So I would say let's not pretend that NYC is just fine, it isn't, but we don't need to fear monger everything either. It is what it is. Everyone just needs to make the choice that's right for them, and like in all cities, be very careful when you are out and about.
I don't think anyone would argue that homeless situation has not gotten worst in last decade and yes crime is up as it is in other major cities, although still nowhere close to its low point of 1970s. Either way everyone should feel perfectly safe going to any sporting event in NYC, especially Barclays Center where like I said you barely are on the street because of how close the LIRR terminal is to the arena.