Thought I would start anew thread
These are some players we should look at in the transfer portel
Curt Lewis 6ft4 SG from Eastern Kentucky
Jaylan Gainey 6tf9 220 PF from Brown
Taurus Samuels 6ft0 PG from Darthmouth
ZMAN3

Re: Transfer Portel

Post by ZMAN3 »

Can't blame Burgess or Cramer for bailing - they were not properly used by Coach (it's his team so he has his own vision) Burgess was a PG who rarely had the ball - Estrada was the PG and SG all rolled into one - and Cramer was not a "5" We all know he had a unique skill set and when healthy and with opportunity was definitely an asset crashing the boards from the weak side and running the floor in transition.
Lots of guys can thrive without having a great shot - which can be improved with work (see Grant Williams on Celtics -missed his first 25 3's and is now one of the best corner shooters in the NBA. Was up to coach to see their strengths and improve and utilize them. On a team with limited rotation surprising to see 2 transfer out
Wags

Re: Transfer Portal

Post by Wags »

ZMAN3 wrote: Can't blame Burgess or Cramer for bailing - they were not properly used by Coach (it's his team so he has his own vision) Burgess was a PG who rarely had the ball - Estrada was the PG and SG all rolled into one
Burgess had some good assist numbers at times. Had he been allowed to handle the ball more, it might've taken pressure off Estrada to be able to focus more on being a SG and scorer (even though he still excelled in that combo PG/SG role anyway).
ZMAN3

Post by ZMAN3 »

2.5 assists per game not exactly stellar numbers! Estrada avg 5 - Would have been better playing off playing Cramer and Dubar more.
Wags

Post by Wags »

ZMAN3 wrote:2.5 assists per game not exactly stellar numbers! Estrada avg 5 - Would have been better playing off playing Cramer and Dubar more.
Like I said, at times -- when he was given the chance (he had 5-7 assists six times).

That 2.5 average was in 15.3 minutes per game (as assist every 6 minutes).

Estrada's 5.0 average was in 35.2 minutes per game (an assist every 7 minutes).

Play Burgess more minutes, let him handle the rock more, that 2.5 probably looks a lot more like Estrada's 5.0 and you get good D from him, which was sorely needed.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Wags wrote:
ZMAN3 wrote:2.5 assists per game not exactly stellar numbers! Estrada avg 5 - Would have been better playing off playing Cramer and Dubar more.
Like I said, at times -- when he was given the chance (he had 5-7 assists six times).

Play Burgess more minutes, let him handle the rock more, that 2.5 probably looks a lot more like Estrada's 5.0 and you get good D from him, which was sorely needed.
All this is true Burgess led the league in assists last year when he was playing minutes but can you afford to keep him in the game and give him minutes when he doesn't contribute anything offensively. There's the problem.
Wags

Post by Wags »

triplec2195 wrote:
Wags wrote:

All this is true Burgess led the league in assists last year when he was playing minutes but can you afford to keep him in the game and give him minutes when he doesn't contribute anything offensively. There's the problem.
Cooks and Ray sometimes played and contributed nothing offensively. If you're getting assists, you're contributing something very valuable offensively. He also played the kind of defense that others didn't play.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Guys lets keep the conversation to the portal and who we think we should go after
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Stu has spoken!! Agreed!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Transfer portal exploding now that many schools have finished their seasons. Up to 270 names, several from Northeastern and Elon.
CTDutch

Post by CTDutch »

Verbal Commits
@VerbalCommits
·
4m
Hofstra G Omar Silverio has entered the transfer portal. Grad transfer. https://verbalcommits.com/players/omar-silverio

My feeling is this is not good news. Despite this Board, he will be missed.
Last edited by CTDutch on Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

Wonder if everyone feels differently about this now than they would have a season ago. Going to be a lot of new faces next year.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

All bets r off I wonder who's next. Although some people here will be happy he's leaving. Going to be building a team around Estrada , Dubar and Iyiola that's if they all stay.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

I think this is the way it's going to be from now on, a lot of transfers in and out. At least in MBB. You can see it on other rosters as well.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

CTDutch wrote:Verbal Commits
@VerbalCommits
·
4m
Hofstra G Omar Silverio has entered the transfer portal. Grad transfer. https://verbalcommits.com/players/omar-silverio

He's someone elses problem now
Wags

Post by Wags »

Jojogunne wrote:I think this is the way it's going to be from now on, a lot of transfers in and out. At least in MBB. You can see it on other rosters as well.
You can be a mid-major and get to the NCAAT that way though. UAB (with a second-year head coach) and Texas A&M Corpus Christi both had a bunch of transfers, won a lot of games, and made the NCAAT this year.

Not as much fun as seeing recruits come in as freshmen, following their careers, seeing them develop, and leading the team to a title (like Buie, Pemberton, Ray), but as you said, just how it is today. And you'd rather win in any way you can - homegrowns or transfers - than not.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Hofstra wrote:
@VerbalCommits
·
4m

He had his issues before this season, but I think after a rough start this year, he ending up helping HU more than he hurt them. Put in the right situation, with a coaching staff that reels him in and helps him with his shot selection, where he can hang out on the perimeter and take open 3s instead of contested ones, in an offense that shares the ball and looks for an open shooter like him, he can possibly excel at his next stop.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Wags wrote:
Hofstra wrote:
@VerbalCommits
·
4m

He had his issues before this season, but I think after a rough start this year, he ending up helping HU more than he hurt them. Put in the right situation, with a coaching staff that reels him in and helps him with his shot selection, where he can hang out on the perimeter and take open 3s instead of contested ones, in an offense that shares the ball and looks for an open shooter like him, he can possibly excel at his next stop.
In reality a GOOD problem to have if in fact he was a PROBLEM. He helped us win a few games for sure but at times went off the rails thinking he was Steph Curry.
Captain

Post by Captain »

So Speedy will need to have another good run in the portal.
He will need at least one stud guard from the portal to run with Estrada.
Losing Cooks, Ray and Silverio are lots of minutes. Anybody have any insight into how promising the three bench guys besides Carlos are regarded?
Need some inside info...
Can Tomasso replace Simmons or Kramer?
Is Barrouk a shooter like Ray?
Can Amare play valuable minutes?
RollPride15

Post by RollPride15 »

We really need shooters. Anyone who can hit 35%+ from three should be prioritized.