Hofstra Lacrosse 2022

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
BringBackFootball

Re: Hofstra Lacrosse 2022

Post by BringBackFootball »

Polito wrote:
I’ve said this here before I don’t know the first thing about lacrosse but there needs to be a major change and focus here. I believe that change is forthcoming from what I’ve been told.
AMAZING if true - pls let it be. Been saying this ad nauseam. About 5 years late but I’ll take it.

Time to fix this program. It’s so close to becoming irrecoverable, but if HU cowboys up and makes the move they should’ve made forever ago, they just might be able to still somehow salvage this program with THE RIGHT LEADERSHIP. It’s going to take a few years to unbury this debacle, but they have a shred of a chance.

Program is on literal life support, but at least still barely possible. Make this happen. And then make the right hire.
Sir, this lacrosse program is not on life support, its dead. Whoever amd whenever the next coach comes in it will be their job to bring us back to life and resurrect this program. This guy should have been fired before his kids arrived on campus.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Another totally depressing loss to begin CAA play.

Leading virtually the entire game, we blow a 10-8 lead in the final minutes and lose 12-10.

GROUND HOG DAY EVERY FRIGGEN WEEKEND!
CTDutch

Post by CTDutch »

HUSID80 wrote:Another totally depressing loss to begin CAA play.

Leading virtually the entire game, we blow a 10-8 lead in the final minutes and lose 12-10.

GROUND HOG DAY EVERY FRIGGEN WEEKEND!
I was at the game (10 minutes from home). Another brutal loss. We had an 8-5 lead in the 4th and turned it into a 12-10 defeat. Just awful.
Polito

Post by Polito »

GOODBYE TIERNEY.

HELLOOOOOOO AMPLO!

C'mon everyone, need to hear it from the back now.

Let's go Hofstra, WHATEVER IT TAKES, BRING AMPLO HOME.
BringBackFootball

Polito wrote:GOODBYE TIERNEY.

HELLOOOOOOO AMPLO!

Don't even care who the replacement is. For all I care it could be a publicity stunt hire like "Hofstra hires first ever Mentally Disabled Orangutan Lacrosse coach in history of NCAA" and it would be a step in the right direction.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

BringBackFootball wrote:
Polito wrote:GOODBYE TIERNEY.

HELLOOOOOOO AMPLO!

Don't even care who the replacement is. For all I care it could be a publicity stunt hire like "Hofstra hires first ever Mentally Disabled Orangutan Lacrosse coach in history of NCAA" and it would be a step in the right direction.
I would just be careful with the words "Mentally Disabled" not appropriate here and insensitive. I get where you're at and I don't think there are too many of us that don't think it is ample or is it "Amplo" time for a change. The coach has done good things here but mostly in the past and you can't rest on your laurels. Let's sound the BATTLE CRY for out with the old and in with the new.
Dutchflid

Post by Dutchflid »

I hate when the Dutch win, this thread gets so quite
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

All threads are quiet. I don’t see a lot of people giving a rats rear end about women’s lacrosse or softball but both programs are improving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

Big game against Drexel tomorrow in rematch of last year's CAA finals that will go long way toward determining our postseason fate. We have not beaten Drexel at home since 2011 as crazy as that sounds and prior to last season Drexel hadn't beaten us in Philly since 2012.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HofstraPride1 wrote:Big game against Drexel tomorrow in rematch of last year's CAA finals that will go long way toward determining our postseason fate. We have not beaten Drexel at home since 2011 as crazy as that sounds and prior to last season Drexel hadn't beaten us in Philly since 2012.
Well the wait is over and we still haven't beaten Drexel at home since 2011 losing today 10-7. We need an exorcism here and a purge of this program. Please wipe the slate clean and start anew next year. This is major frustrating and just more of the same crap.
Polito

Post by Polito »

You mean the whopping 5 times it's happened thus far this year? Dutchflid, tsk tsk, you should know better... you had to know that comment was not going to age well with this program right now - listen, I'll never complain about beating the Hens in anything, always a good thing - but attempting to talk trash about a 1 goal victory from one terrible team over another very unremarkable unranked one at 7-5 (1-2 in conf) seems... silly. Desperate even.

Now if in the event a miracle occurs and HU somehow manages to actually win the CAA and go to the tournament, well THEN you can stuff crow down throats all you want! And don't worry you won't have to ask for me, I'll be right here for it to take my heaping serving!

Other than that, you know darn well the programs in the toilet and needs an overhaul. If I had to guess, I imagine your issue is probably around showing respect, or something along those lines. And I'll bet it's because of some personal connection you have (nearly always is around here). Fair enough, we can agree there.

I think we can all give the team and staff the acknowledgement and appreciate that they are working hard and doing their best, while also fully highlighting the fact that is simply not enough and it's NOT working. It's perfectly ok, doable, and quite frankly responsible to both praise effort while demanding better. And taking the proper action to course correct it. But this has reached an inflection point - this isn't one season or game. It's a decade. And it's got to stop. No more mulligans, no more excuses, no more wait 'tills'. It's enough now. Kill this garbage and spawn a rebirth. ALL of us are tired of seeing a 'loved one' continue to be ignored.

But take heart, fortunately times a ticking, and the winds of change are hopefully a comin. A resurgence of HU Lax is just around the corner, * I F * the HU admin handles it properly this offseason. I don't believe it will take long with the right leadership. Fingers crossed.
Dutchflid

Post by Dutchflid »

Polito wrote:
You mean the whopping 5 times it's happened thus far this year? Dutchflid, tsk tsk, you should know better... you had to know that comment was not going to age well with this program right now - listen, I'll never complain about beating the Hens in anything, always a good thing - but attempting to talk trash about a 1 goal victory from one terrible team over another very unremarkable unranked one at 7-5 (1-2 in conf) seems... silly. Desperate even.

Now if in the event a miracle occurs and HU somehow manages to actually win the CAA and go to the tournament, well THEN you can stuff crow down throats all you want! And don't worry you won't have to ask for me, I'll be right here for it to take my heaping serving!

Other than that, you know darn well the programs in the toilet and needs an overhaul. If I had to guess, I imagine your issue is probably around showing respect, or something along those lines. And I'll bet it's because of some personal connection you have (nearly always is around here). Fair enough, we can agree there.

I think we can all give the team and staff the acknowledgement and appreciate that they are working hard and doing their best, while also fully highlighting the fact that is simply not enough and it's NOT working. It's perfectly ok, doable, and quite frankly responsible to both praise effort while demanding better. And taking the proper action to course correct it. But this has reached an inflection point - this isn't one season or game. It's a decade. And it's got to stop. No more mulligans, no more excuses, no more wait 'tills'. It's enough now. Kill this garbage and spawn a rebirth. ALL of us are tired of seeing a 'loved one' continue to be ignored.

But take heart, fortunately times a ticking, and the winds of change are hopefully a comin. A resurgence of HU Lax is just around the corner, * I F * the HU admin handles it properly this offseason. I don't believe it will take long with the right leadership. Fingers crossed.
All Good - I was trying to add a little levity, I only have a limited number of years to be connected to the program so I am trying to always see the glass half full. The amount of injuries this year has been like nothing I have ever seen on one team in one season ( I started playing in 1971 and have been around a lot of lacrosse) . All teams have to deal with injuries but I believe just having Philbin would have made a difference, his scoring and leadership is missed. You may have noticed that we have had no injuries on D or in goal and those have been bright spots this year, had we stayed healthy things might have been better.

I will stand by the fact that I am a big fan of ST and believe any new coach will face similar recruiting issues, but that remains to be seen. There is nothing I would love more than to have the Dutch win the CAA and we can all have a love fest
Polito

Post by Polito »

Fist bump to ya Dutchflid 8-)

We need better / more emojis on here!
Polito

Post by Polito »

Hopefully only one more game until this misery era is over.

Navy with another solid win today, beat a high ranked Army squad in obviously the rivalry game of the year.

Get the bags of money ready, open up the dang checkbook, and hire Joe Amplo the minute their season is over.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

You left out the misery part as we lose again to UMASS 13-9. After being down 3-0 in the first period we make the game close and score 5 in the second only being down 6-5 at the half. Just close in the second half and couldn't tie the score. What can u say here that hasn't already been said before with our record at 5-9 1-3 CAA. Brutal.
BringBackFootball

29-38 record dating back to the epic April 2017 collapse. This Lacrosse program has consistantly sucked for a half of a decade now.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Oh I didn't miss it tc, just didn't want to beat a dead horse on the continued losing. Just happy to be near the end. It's the only positive thing to hang on to at the moment.

And I'm hoping with all hope that HU does the right thing here and saves this program - must make a change, and must make the right hire. HUGE opportunity here - blow it and will just be more of the same. Hit a home run and this program can be a premier lax machine. For me it's obviously Amplo - but I will take any HC and staff that rights this ship from those that know more than me. My bet is it'll be hard to find better than him for HU. But it sure is exciting to think about the possibilities...

Dutchflid said something very key:
I will stand by the fact that I am a big fan of ST and believe any new coach will face similar recruiting issues, but that remains to be seen.

This is fully correct. The hurdles will be the same. They don't magically go away. But see the difference is an effective coaching staff will overcome them. The solutions will be different. This happens all the time in every sport at every level all over the country. The trap is getting caught in the lie that it's not fixable. That is total nonsense. It is. Otherwise no other football team besides Alabama would even try. No hoops team besides Duke or Kentucky would bother. Baseball teams would've given up thinking no one will ever win over the Yankees. Things change, and hurdles can be of course be navigated and/or mitigated. With the right staff.

I have no doubt ST knows more about lax than a layman like me ever will. This isn't about whether he's knowledgeable or a good coach. It's about whether he's the right coach for HU. Spoiler alert: he isn't.

I don't expect FF's. HU lax will never be Duke lax. But this is about maximizing the program - HU can and absolutely should be a top 25 program 9 times out of 10, should win the CAA 5-7, and go dancing about the same (including at large bids). There is ZERO excuse for this programs less than mediocrity for years on end. Absolute 0.

There are PLENTY of local stud players who will stay and play for HU ... IF HU gives them something to want to play for. I don't buy for one second that every single top 100 kid in this national hotbed refuses to stay local and wants to leave. Some of course. But all?? Please. They don't want to play for HU in its present state because the program is stale and going nowhere. Give them some juice, give them a shot to be what HU was, get them top flight games, championships, and NCAAT shots, and I guarantee the right leader will reel in enough local talent to compliment the national and international recruiting effort still required.

This decade of garbage is ... well garbage. Thank ST for his time and move on to better days.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

Impressive 15-14 win at Towson to end the seaason, We nearly snuck into CAA Tourney as well like last year, but Delaware ended up edging Fairfield 14-12. A tough season with tons of injuries, but they did show some signs of improvement toward the end and hopefully that can be a building block for 2023.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Time for a major purge no??

HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

triplec2195 wrote:Time for a major purge no??

Have you heard anything about a possible move?
Last edited by HofstraPride1 on Sun May 01, 2022 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.