Hofstra Lacrosse 2022

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
The Shadow

Hofstra Lacrosse 2022

Post by The Shadow »

Saturday's Merrimack game has been rescheduled to Sunday, February 6 at 11:30 AM.
HUSID80

Re: Hofstra Lacrosse 2022

Post by HUSID80 »

We win 8-7 in what should have been an easier contest…shame what little interest there is on these boards in what is a very storied program for this University.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Is or was?? We are r picked to finish 5th in a 6 team league only ahead of Fairfield. We're in a rebuilding year I'm assuming don't really know the first thing about lacrosse but I know we were good in the past. The coach would love to have his son back for another year for sure.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

HUSID80 wrote:We win 8-7 in what should have been an easier contest…shame what little interest there is on these boards in what is a very storied program for this University.
It wasn't pretty but a win is a win and Mac Gates was very impressive in net.
Polito

Post by Polito »

shame what little interest there is on these boards in what is a very storied program for this University.

Yep, and it's all on HU. They have destroyed the program. And that's the result when you completely fail the storied program. Why should fans care? HU clearly doesn't.

I'm sorry, feel for the kids, really do, appreciate them all for being HU peeps, but the harsh reality is the program does not deserve any attention until they prove they are worth it. They've fully earned the lost respect and belief they worked so hard to build under JD. They've done nothing but choke or turn in mediocrity at best year after year.

Now they have to somehow re-earn it with the same staff that tanked it because HU will not make any moves. ST will ride out into the sunset with average or below at best HC results, practically stealing $ at this point, and this program will be nearly beyond repair. Might already be in this landscape. HU has totally screwed it up, let the lax world speed on by, and they did absolutely nothing in response.

Very VERY sad.
Dutchflid

Post by Dutchflid »

Polito wrote:
shame what little interest there is on these boards in what is a very storied program for this University.

Yep, and it's all on HU. They have destroyed the program. And that's the result when you completely fail the storied program. Why should fans care? HU clearly doesn't.

I'm sorry, feel for the kids, really do, appreciate them all for being HU peeps, but the harsh reality is the program does not deserve any attention until they prove they are worth it. They've fully earned the lost respect and belief they worked so hard to build under JD. They've done nothing but choke or turn in mediocrity at best year after year.

Now they have to somehow re-earn it with the same staff that tanked it because HU will not make any moves. ST will ride out into the sunset with average or below at best HC results, practically stealing $ at this point, and this program will be nearly beyond repair. Might already be in this landscape. HU has totally screwed it up, let the lax world speed on by, and they did absolutely nothing in response.

Very VERY sad.
I know this is a broken record but nobody can win here NOBODY, Bill Tierney, Petro or Vince Lombardi could not win here. Expensive school, crap location, crap campus high cost to live off campus in crap areas and a good but not great academics. the top tier LI kids do not want tp stay home and it is a tough sell to get top flight kids from out of state. Hofstra will continue to be the destination of second tier players and kids that did not work out elsewhere (particularly Ohio State) transfering home. You put ST at UNC or UVA and he is contending for a championship every year and you bring Joe Breschi or Lars Tiffany here and in two years Polito starts posting about what a bad move it was
Polito

Post by Polito »

lol yeah probably Dutchflid :P

Some good points, I agree in part - HU isn't Duke, no expectations of Nat Champs here - but there is NO excuse for HU to not win this conf and make the NCAAT - that's not a lot to ask, esp from a supposedly top flight coach.

And sorry, but JD DID win here. It absolutely can be done, by the right leadership. To claim no one can win here is a huge copout, and total weak sauce. And it's not true.

Yep, JD was here during a different time in Lax - I know, it's not the same as today. I get it. I'm not looking for final fours here - but you have to at least make the tournament every few years - it's the CAA for goodness sake, not the ACC, friggin cowboy up and win it.

Give me Joe Amplo all day long. Is he going to win it every year? Nope. But I'll take my chances with him over what we've seen for nearly a decade now.

The fact that HU has allowed this program to literally fall off a cliff toiling in mediocrity at best is a total embarrassment IMO. I'm more angry at HU than ST. ST is what he is here - a knowledgeable coach, a good guy from what I hear, but not a champion. But HU has done absolutely nothing to fix things and elevate its program.

Again, they don't care, why should anyone else. What we need to see is HU get up off their duffs and DO something - I'll take anything, ANY action that shows they know it's not right, that they want to be champions, and that they are willing to make moves to do so - I mean for goodness sake, at least T R Y. Doing nothing for years on end is shameful.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Coach Amplo will be back here next Friday at 6 p.m. with the US Navy Midshipmen. This will be the 20th meeting between these two teams, which first met in 1965 and last played in the NCAAT at Brown in 1999, with Hofstra winning, 15-7. I was at that game.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/bs-xp ... story.html

Meanwhile, it's a beautiful day outside with another game (Sacred Heart) starting at 1 p.m. today.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Dutchflid wrote:I know this is a broken record but nobody can win here NOBODY, Bill Tierney, Petro or Vince Lombardi could not win here. Expensive school, crap location, crap campus high cost to live off campus in crap areas and a good but not great academics. the top tier LI kids do not want tp stay home and it is a tough sell to get top flight kids from out of state. Hofstra will continue to be the destination of second tier players and kids that did not work out elsewhere (particularly Ohio State) transfering home. You put ST at UNC or UVA and he is contending for a championship every year and you bring Joe Breschi or Lars Tiffany here and in two years Polito starts posting about what a bad move it was
That's BS. First off, how would we know, we've had one coach since 2006, who hasn't got the team to the NCAAT since 2011. Secondly, the free movement of student athletes nowadays is a tremendous advantage for Hofstra. The coaching staff should have a field day poaching players that want to come back to the Island for either playing time or grad degrees. This program should have enough talent to stay at least on the periphery of the national picture, yet this team isn't even relevant in the CAA.

Any potential recruiting disadvantage also does not explain the seemingly annual collapses. Multiple times over the last 10 years this team has been in position to get into the dance, yet they have faltered down the stretch, in epic fashion. Tierney has not been able to compete in the CAA, which is a joke of a conference, for years, frankly it's embarrassing. I don't know why the HC of the Men's Lacrosse is a lifetime position, 16 years has been more than enough, nothing personal, because I think he's been an awesome ambassador for Hofstra, but a decade of irrelevancy demands a change, it's just so obvious.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

What's the feeling with this solid win over Sacred Heart clearly a blow out 21-9. I guess that Sacred Heart is not a very good team not that our team is a powerhouse from what I've been reading here. You lacrosse guys here is that the case??
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Jury is out. We played extremely well. Seths teams have usually played defensive games and the 21 goal outburst can either mean Sacred heart is not a very good team or we have found some goal scorers this year as a couple of players got their first starts and took advantage of it.
Also I think we lost the faceoff battle
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Surprising on faceoffs as that was to be one of our strengths this year.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

Was great to see President Poser attend game and see a great performance from our boys. https://twitter.com/SusanPoser/status/1 ... _5BELegyiA
Polito

Post by Polito »

Amen FD. Amen.

HU seems to care more about its politics and whatever sweetheart deals it has going on with ST than true success on the field. No athletic dept worth its salt at ANY level actually serious about being a champion and producing the highest quality product possible would ever let this go on for umpteen years the way HU has unless there is some underlying BS.

When there is ZERO expectation, timeline, or pressure to win or to produce, then you can put good $ on that. And for those reasons, I'M OUT - as should everyone else IMHO until they earn back the support of our time energy and money through action and change.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

Polito wrote:Amen FD. Amen.

HU seems to care more about its politics and whatever sweetheart deals it has going on with ST than true success on the field. No athletic dept worth its salt at ANY level actually serious about being a champion and producing the highest quality product possible would ever let this go on for umpteen years the way HU has unless there is some underlying BS.

When there is ZERO expectation, timeline, or pressure to win or to produce, then you can put good $ on that. And for those reasons, I'M OUT - as should everyone else IMHO until they earn back the support of our time energy and money through action and change.
I completely disagree with that approach. The reality is in that in college lacrosse there simply aren't a ton of coaches fired unless there is an off-field incident. Look at St. John's, with Jason Miller which hasn't made Big East Tourney since 2012 and has no NCAA appearances since taking over in 2007. Team had one win last season and he is still there. We certainly aren't where we want to be wins and losses wise, but Tierney has run a very clean program since taking over and kept us in mix. He and his hard-working players, who have great character, deserves our support in the good and tough times.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Seths daughter Erin is on the womens lax team she is a senior. Because of Covid she is here another year. I think Seths contract is up in 2 years. After that he may stay on or retire.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Very entertaining game yesterday. Ten of 21 goals were assisted, which is a good sign. Lots of players getting their first full run on the field. Coaches will work on things that need to be improved. Navy should be a good test.

BTW, the Midshipmen will return to the Dutch Dome on Sunday for another game, against a very solid Manhattan team.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

Unfortunately I'll miss Navy game, but thrilled they are back on schedule. I remember seeing us beat them in regular season of my freshman year in 1999 in close game before handily defeating them in first round of NCAAs.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Navy humiliates us at home. We were never in the game.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

So beating up on Sacred Heart was just beating an inferior team really nothing to build on.