Game 12 - SUNY SB game

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Wags

Re: Game 12 - SUNY SB game

Post by Wags »

HUSID80 wrote:
Jojogunne wrote:Coach has to seriously consider starting JWF.
Why? Off the bench he gives us a completely different look and great energy. Still very inconsistent, let's hope he improves and gives us consistent scoring off the bench, something we have lacked over the years.
If you start 6-0 JWF, it would be in place of 6-2 Bernardi, and then you're going pretty small to start the game with two 6-footers (since Powers is 6-0).

But in terms of their games, JWF might offer a little more than Bernardi as a starter. The way they play, JWF might fit into a more well-rounded starting type of role a little better than Bernardi, who is mainly out there to heat up from 3 -- which is something you would usually want to bring off the bench if that's a player's primary contribution. So in that sense, it's an interesting question. Do you go slightly bigger to start or do you start with the type of player whose game might lend itself more to being a starter in favor of the slightly bigger guard whose game might lend itself better to being a spark off the bench? My guess is nothing changes, but it might be something for the staff to consider.
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

Not everyone reacts the same coming off the bench, either. W-F is good at it. Bernardi might not be. I wouldn't mess with it though.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

That was a perfect win. While that's not a good Stony Brook team, we made them pay for it for a change. I wouldn't mind that being an annual occurrence.

We have seen the extremes of the D-1 talent pool in just two days, it's a crazy dichotomy. In that sense, it's hard to find takeaways that will translate to CAA play. One thing has been obvious over the past five games though, we're headed in the right direction.

I hate to say it, but something good happened to our offense after Buie went down in the Columbia game. We've gotten significantly more aggressive and it's starting to pay dividends. Powers is looking comfortable in the offense, he's starting to make the pick and roll reads that made our offense successful last year, flashes of Juan'ya. He had his best game tonight, he didn't seem to force much, like he was earlier in the season, as evidenced by his 7 assists.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Wags wrote:But in terms of their games, JWF might offer a little more than Bernardi as a starter. The way they play, JWF might fit into a more well-rounded starting type of role a little better than Bernardi, who is mainly out there to heat up from 3 -- which is something you would usually want to bring off the bench if that's a player's primary contribution. So in that sense, it's an interesting question. Do you go slightly bigger to start or do you start with the type of player whose game might lend itself more to being a starter in favor of the slightly bigger guard whose game might lend itself better to being a spark off the bench? My guess is nothing changes, but it might be something for the staff to consider.
Bernardi will remain the starter all season, I can't see that changing.

I think JWF's playing time this season will be somewhat situational depending on how opponents want to play us. Farrelly mentioned it in his pre-game pep talk in the lounge, we've played better against man to man defenses this year, JWF is better than Bernardi against those defensive looks, and he will play accordingly. If JWF's ability to get to the hoop keeps improving as the season goes on, I can see him getting starter-like minutes, considering he's the primary backup for both Pemba and Bernardi.

But for as much as I criticize him, Bernardi showed his value tonight. He's definitely the best shooter on the team. We're starting to move the ball the right way, everyone's getting on the same page. There were so many good passes tonight, I can't believe this was the same team that played Manhattan last month. We're going to start destroying zone defenses, and I think Bernardi is going to be a huge beneficiary of that, we need him to get good looks on the perimeter to win games in the CAA.
Wags

Post by Wags »

One thing I think would be cool starting next year with this rivalry (but which won't happen) is special uniforms for this game... instead of HOFSTRA and STONY BROOK across the chest, how about NASSAU and SUFFOLK?
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

Well - that was fun. In control from the start and never looked back. Kept the pressure on and never settled for quick threes (which they have done in the past when they have opened up big leads). I think it was a product of our confidence and execution mixed in with a bad shooting night from SBU. Judging by their record and fans, they don't usually shoot that poorly. However, mush of that was not getting good looks, so credit to our D.

I can't believe that was the same offense i saw earlier in the year. I'll never forget the Coppin St. game where Rok would sit inside and the other four guys on the court would stand around the perimeter waiting for someone to get an open 3 look. This team is AGGRESSIVE now. They ATTACK the hoop. Powers, Pemba, JWF, Bernardi are all penetrating with a lot of success. Even the big guys are trying to get into the act (though not their strong point).

Powers has really taken control which is the silver lining of losing Buie. He is great in transition - lightning quick as advertised. You know when he leads a break, he is going to finish strong and has a great touch - something we haven't seen a lot of other than Green. He has great confidence and feels he can play with anyone.

Totally agree on Greer. He just kept getting great positioning for quick put backs and boards all night. You wouldn't know it by looking at him, but he is turning into a great compliment to Rok and Sabety inside.

JWF looked great - his athleticism is evident. He can work with very little space and can create his shot. Very excited about him going forward. He deserves more minutes for sure.

It was truly a great team win. Great ball moment, scoring from everyone, tough D (mixed in a lot of man to man last night) and pedal to the metal all the way through. Never let SBU get in any sort of rhythm.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

Pride97 wrote:Totally agree on Greer. He just kept getting great positioning for quick put backs and boards all night. You wouldn't know it by looking at him, but he is turning into a great compliment to Rok and Sabety inside..
To add to this I am liking the lineup of leaving Greer at the 4 and bringing Robinson in at the 3. It gives us a slightly bigger lineup that can help matchup in certain situations. If Greer keeps playing like he has been the past few games I am sure we will see more of it.
Mike34

Post by Mike34 »

I agree with a lot of the above - I was at the game and have to say that Greer is playing extremely aggressively and is a great addition to Rokas and Sabety on the inside. He had two awesome and unexpected blocks. Rokas and Sabety also killed it rebounding last night.

Powers had an awesome game last night and showed the most aggression out of everyone on the team and came out successful most of the time. To me, him and Pemberton are the only ones who aggressively drive to the hoop and drive the ball to the inside. They don't waste time.

I'd like the team to progress even more and start to feed the inside post more. I don't think they are consistent with their plays on that quite yet.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Not much to say that has not already been said - Team looked good and is steadily improving in many areas.

Admittedly, it was an off night for SB, but even with some reasonable shooting percentages, we still would have won by 20 pts. I know Woodhouse is a decent player, but it goes to show how Purifoy and the big guy were the glue and talent that got them to the dance last year. This SB team looked to be a shadow of its former self!

I was pleasantly shocked to see the student turnout last night. They were not overly loud or engaged, but they were there!!! It's a good sign.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Wags wrote: One thing I think would be cool starting next year with this rivalry (but which won't happen) is special uniforms for this game... instead of HOFSTRA and STONY BROOK across the chest, how about NASSAU and SUFFOLK?
Would Hofstra students from Suffolk or Stony Brook students from Nassau like that idea?
Polito

Post by Polito »

Exactly the kind of game/performance you want to see from this team going into CAA play - these fellas are REALLY coming together. IMO this show out was in part related to playing UK - you could just see HU was on another level after experiencing a top 10 program. They competed with the Cats more than expected, and now they KNOW they can be very good - that game gave them confidence and they set out to make a point. It doesn't always work out that way after playing an elite level game, but for this squad, mission accomplished.

SBU is not a good team at all, so let's be sure to temper, and take that into consideration. But this was a rivalry beatdown, and it feels fantastic. Everyone just witnessed how hard it is for a mid-major to reload after having program superstars... and quite frankly HU is flat out conquering that. This staff deserves major kudos on that front - boys are looking night and day compared to the disaster of the Sacred Heart game - which I am now denying ever happened LOL.

As I said, some guys need to have things set and know they are the man - Powers is that kind of player. He's avg almost 5 assists per game - get that up to 6, which I think he's on track to do, and we'll be looking at a big year. He is a different guy now that he's the #1 and can relax and get into a rhythm. HUGE impact.

Gustys is also playing much more aggressive and making moves to the basket - this is MUCH needed and making a big difference.

Right on cue, JWF delivers after I mention he needs more PT. Dooku, I actually think JWF's coming out party was Kentucky. He displayed legit ability against a top 10 program, likely giving himself a confidence stabilizer - he still makes youthful errors, but it's purely experience/comfort related. Talent is BIG.

I agree that BB will continue to start - and for now, I'm ok with that - both players carry value and have limitations, so their time needs to be properly managed - that's for the staff to handle - I think they're doing a good job for the most part, I just think JWF needs a few more minutes - I would probably split them right down the middle. JWF will have his time to start and shine beginning promptly next year. This is a great transition season for his development.

I like Greer, but still want more because I know he can! Esp consistency from game to game - he has big shoes to fill from Koon, so even though he's a compliment player, the expectations are still high in that starter spot. He has the ability to play at another level - hopefully SBU was the start.

Great to see fans and especially STUDENTS! Not getting picky - savvy-ness and college crazed noise will come in terms of HOW to be a fan lol - for now, let's just see a full year of positive growth in that dept first!
Wags

Post by Wags »

EvanJ wrote:
Wags wrote: One thing I think would be cool starting next year with this rivalry (but which won't happen) is special uniforms for this game... instead of HOFSTRA and STONY BROOK across the chest, how about NASSAU and SUFFOLK?
Would Hofstra students from Suffolk or Stony Brook students from Nassau like that idea?
Don't know and don't care. I think those groups would be in the minority, just as Mets and Yankees fans if those teams wore Queens and Bronx jerseys. Both would be fun.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Think it's a great idea. Both schools would have to share in the promotion. It's a win win for both schools
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Hofstra's 59 rebounds against Stony Brook is tied for the tenth most by a team this season in games where both teams were in Division I.
Wags

Post by Wags »

EvanJ wrote:Hofstra's 59 rebounds against Stony Brook is tied for the tenth most by a team this season in games where both teams were in Division I.
Good stat. It was also nearly double the 30 boards that Stony Brook had -- which was matched by Rok (18) and Greer (12) alone.
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

Not that it matters, but you can only have your school name or nickname on the front of your jersey.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

So put Nassau and Suffolk on the back with their number
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Never happen...and I'm fine with it! The brands are SBU and HOFSTRA, we know where they are from and what they stand for as institutions.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

News12 has a list of the top 10 NY area sports headlines for 2016. Number three is SBU's first NCAA tournament appearance.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Stony Brook in the spotlight... they can have it this time!

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/crim ... 1.13084240