stuball888

Re: MBB Recruits 2018

Post by stuball888 »

That’s why we need another 5. Just in case
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

stuball888 wrote:That’s why we need another 5. Just in case
This is ever so true here. This kid has never played a lot of minutes since H.S. at least not on the college level. I think every time he steps out on the court the staff will be holding there breath hoping that he doesn't have a recurrence of any of the many old injuries that have plagued him since his H.S. days. He probably won't see the minutes we normally would give him with the fear that he will get re-injured. Keeping that in mind it becomes even more of a priority to land another competent PF/C that has his same kind of skill set. If we don't we will either be looking at KS playing a lot of minutes or going with a small team on the floor if this kid gets hurt. I have previously mentioned this kid who just transferred out of UMASS C Malik Hines RS JR 6-9 240 eligible right away Massachusetts. I hope we are checking him out as well any other kids that r still available.
Cards

Post by Cards »

triplec2195 wrote:
stuball888 wrote:That’s why we need another 5. Just in case
This is ever so true here. This kid has never played a lot of minutes since H.S. at least not on the college level. I think every time he steps out on the court the staff will be holding there breath hoping that he doesn't have a recurrence of any of the many old injuries that have plagued him since his H.S. days. He probably won't see the minutes we normally would give him with the fear that he will get re-injured. Keeping that in mind it becomes even more of a priority to land another competent PF/C that has his same kind of skill set. If we don't we will either be looking at KS playing a lot of minutes or going with a small team on the floor if this kid gets hurt. I have previously mentioned this kid who just transferred out of UMASS C Malik Hines RS JR 6-9 240 eligible right away Massachusetts. I hope we are checking him out as well any other kids that r still available.
You are 100% on target. Taylor has good size, talent, and has been banging with big boys for three years. That being said, he has not logged many minutes and the injury bug is in the back of all of our minds. Still, this certainly appears to be a good pick-up. Hopefully its not the end.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Below is from an article prior to Purdue's trip last year to the sweet sixteen:

When Purdue’s NCAA Tournament began, the prevailing narrative was this would be the fi nal ride for the Boilermakers’ four seniors. Thompson, Edwards, Haas and Dakota Mathias have etched their names in Purdue’s record books as the winningest class in school history. The group entered the program at its lowest point and elevated the team to the 2017 Big Ten Title and back-to-back Sweet 16 appearances.
But the thing that sometimes goes overlooked is Taylor was also part of that recruiting class. Injuries forced him to redshirt twice and kept him from playing alongside the rest of his 2014 recruiting class. Now, someone else’s injury means he’ll get the chance to be there when the other members of the class play their fi nal game.

Key is the mention of him redshirting twice. Sounds like there is potential for petitioning NCAA for 2 years of additional eligibility. Wonder if that was taken into account by JM and is part of the plan. Heck, if hes coming here for grad school, he may not finish his masters degree in one year anyway.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

We'll happily take him for a full two years...would like to, as everyone says, get another big...either via transfer or a freshman although I don't think there is much left in the cupboard!
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

If I am not mistaken I can remember two players who received 2 redshirt years one was Marc Petit of Hofstra the other was a player on Drexel their center Lindermann
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Cards wrote:Below is from an article prior to Purdue's trip last year to the sweet sixteen:

When Purdue’s NCAA Tournament began, the prevailing narrative was this would be the fi nal ride for the Boilermakers’ four seniors. Thompson, Edwards, Haas and Dakota Mathias have etched their names in Purdue’s record books as the winningest class in school history. The group entered the program at its lowest point and elevated the team to the 2017 Big Ten Title and back-to-back Sweet 16 appearances.
But the thing that sometimes goes overlooked is Taylor was also part of that recruiting class. Injuries forced him to redshirt twice and kept him from playing alongside the rest of his 2014 recruiting class. Now, someone else’s injury means he’ll get the chance to be there when the other members of the class play their fi nal game.

Key is the mention of him redshirting twice. Sounds like there is potential for petitioning NCAA for 2 years of additional eligibility. Wonder if that was taken into account by JM and is part of the plan. Heck, if hes coming here for grad school, he may not finish his masters degree in one year anyway.
This was taken out of an article about Taylor from SB Nation; Taylor, who is set to graduate this spring, will be immediately eligible for the 2018-19 season as a graduate transfer. The oft injured 6’10” forward could also gain a sixth year of eligibility from the time he’s missed due to injuries. While Taylor is set to enter his fifth year of eligibility next season, he has also missed almost two full seasons due to injuries while at Purdue.
The possibility of Taylor getting an extra year of eligibility is common knowledge and I'm sure we're well aware of the possible whipped cream on this cake.
Cards

Post by Cards »

triplec2195 wrote:The possibility of Taylor getting an extra year of eligibility is common knowledge and I'm sure we're well aware of the possible whipped cream on this cake.
"COOL" whip I hope
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

Cards wrote:
triplec2195 wrote:The possibility of Taylor getting an extra year of eligibility is common knowledge and I'm sure we're well aware of the possible whipped cream on this cake.
"COOL" whip I hope
Forget cool whip (yeck)...make mine REDI whip....as in REDI to play 25 per game and put up a double/double!
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Yes love the sound of a double double and let’s get greedy and throw in a few blocked shots while we’re at it. I wonder if this kid can shoot free throws. I didn’t check this out but he doesn’t have a big body of work to look at.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Nice get. 6'10 kid. Finally.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

An article that mentions Taylor graduating from Purdue. Purdue basketball had five seniors graduate from the university this weekend. Vince Edwards, Isaac Haas, P.J. Thompson, Dakota Mathias and Jacquil Taylor all earned degrees and participated in commencement ceremonies. Proud to add them to the #Purdue Basketball family. All 5 earned their degrees in four years while playing in 4 NCAA Tournaments and winning 104 games.They represent what college basketball is about. Taylor is the only player of the five with remaining college eligibility. The forward opted to graduate transfer, and he will play for Hofstra in the 2018-19 season. It's always nice to have Hofstra mentioned in the same conversation with Purdue. I don't think anyone mentioned that Taylor played with Caleb Swanigan who was one of the leading rebounders in the country his senior year along with ROK. Swanigan was drafted in the first round by Portland and is currently playing for them.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

IDK if silence is golden here but we cleared a big first hurdle but where are we looking now there are clearly still good players out there that can play right away this year. Is anyone hearing anything as to who we are chasing right now????
Cards

Post by Cards »

triplec2195 wrote:IDK if silence is golden here but we cleared a big first hurdle but where are we looking now there are clearly still good players out there that can play right away this year. Is anyone hearing anything as to who we are chasing right now????
I was wondering the same thing. Look at it this way, last season we had Rok as the starting 5 with HS as the backup. This season we could have Taylor as the 5 with KS as the backup. Last season we had Angus and Truehart split the starts at the 4 with Radovic as the backup. This year we could be looking at Truehart at the starting 4 with Radovic and Hughes as the backups. So - as far as bodies go, JM could stand pat with this hand. Personally, I would like to see another transfer or JUCO added. A 6'8" or bigger who can contribute something right away.

We still have 2 open spots. Pick up another big and leave one spot open for any last minute surprise transfer or stud signing. We certainly don't need any guards this year as they all are coming back (assuming 99% JWF is returning) andwe are adding Coburn. I think any needs at the 1, 2, and 3 spots are more long-term planning needs.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Agree Cards except for the fact that if we only sign Taylor we could be in big trouble if he goes down unless u think that Schutte can handle getting major minutes. I think we're going to pick up a 4/5 kind of kid who can step in and play the 5 if need be. Otherwise we will be too thin in the frontcourt. There r kids out there we can sign and they're not only grad transfers but red shirts who r eligible right away. Get it done Hofstra!!
Cards

Post by Cards »

We are in agreement triplec. As I said, I would like to see us get another big as well.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Is that kid from UMass still available
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

stuball888 wrote:Is that kid from UMass still available
Off the internet but not real current;

UMass junior center Malik Hines is taking advantage of the NCAA’s graduate transfer rule and will head elsewhere for his final season without having to sit out.

Hines, a 6-foot-10 native of Mississippi, sat out his freshman year as an academic nonqualifier, but is on track to complete his sociology degree this summer.

Hines averaged 9.0 points and 6.1 rebounds, and led the Atlantic 10 with 65.8 field goal percentage. The points and rebounds doubled from his sophomore season (3.5 ppg, 3.0 rpg).

Hines issued a statement through the UMass athletic department:

“I want to thank the University of Massachusetts and everyone in the community for their support over the last four years. Thank you to the UMass basketball fans for allowing me to represent this institution on and off the court. I appreciate the all of the support from our coaches, my teammates over the years, and those who help our program.”

UMass coach Matt McCall also released a statement in the same release:

“We are so proud of Malik for the work he has accomplished in the classroom during his career at UMass. He is a tremendous person and it was a joy to work with him this past year. We wish him the best in everything he does following his UMass career.”

Reached by phone, McCall said with the graduate transfer rule, coaches have to be prepared any time a player is on path to complete his degree before his eligibility expires.

“Any time you have guys who have been in college for four years who have another year of eligibility, you always know this is a possibility,” McCall said. “It’s especially true when guys are from further away who have had some success and get a chance to go closer to home. He’s been away from home for a long time and he put himself in position to go closer to home as a senior. I wish him nothing but the best.”

If he's looking to get closer to home that's not an advantage for us obviously. He had nice numbers last year. I don't know if we have even been in contact with him. Like I have reiterated numerous times there are kids out there who r eligible immediately. How about this kid for starters; 3 C Connor MacDougall SR 6-9 240 Yes New Mexico Jon Rothstein, CBS Sports and this is just the tip of iceberg. If we can land a kid from Purdue who's from Mass. we can land almost any of these kids who have immediate eligibility. Their college stats may be meaningless in the great scheme of things using Zeke Upshaw as proof of the pudding( with all due respect to Zeke).
Last edited by triplec2195 on Mon May 14, 2018 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

More..........3 PF Tory Miller-Stewart SR 6-9 246 Yes Colorado and 3 PF Josh Martin RS JR 6-8 212 Yes Cal Poly and 2.3 PF Eugene Artison RS JR 6-9 202 Yes Tulsa and the lists go on and on.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

triplec2195 wrote:More..........3 PF Tory Miller-Stewart SR 6-9 246 Yes Colorado and 3 PF Josh Martin RS JR 6-8 212 Yes Cal Poly and 2.3 PF Eugene Artison RS JR 6-9 202 Yes Tulsa and the lists go on and on.
how about this recent add to immediately eligible "big" transfers - Marcel Pettway F/C Bryant University 6'5" 250lbs - averaged 10 ppg 8 rpg - from Providence RI. Cant find anything - but looks he might have been hurting 2017-18 and would give the team he hooks up 2 seasons.