MBB Recruits 2018

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
daHUPride

Re: MBB Recruits 2018

Post by daHUPride »

What I really like about this addition that it lets ST play off of the bigger Taylor - which (it sounds like) we now have 2 mobile, shot blocking bigs on back line of defense - is should also allow a guy like EP (last season our 2nd leading rebounder) to more or less float and pick up the scraps off the glass. With a quality big and the depth of our backcourt - I hope we utilize our depth in the backcourt - and run and press - and now use a smaller lineup as a change of pace (as opposed to having to use it out necessity). I feel a bit better after this signing - NICE get boys!
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Wow a a Big Ten Big! We'll take him with open arms! I keep saying this staff knows what they want and they'll get it done!
Last edited by HUSID74 on Wed May 09, 2018 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Now let’s get us another big to have depth at that position Drinks all around! I’ll have a boilermaker!
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

stuball888 wrote:Now let’s get us another big to have depth at that position Drinks all around! I’ll have a boilermaker!
Make that two...we have the fresh Hughes!
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Hughes at 6ft10 and what 210 a little light for the post
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Finally and this is a big get right now. This kid played with a lot of injuries so maybe he can stay healthy here and possibly get another year of eligibility due to time missed because of injuries. We still need to land another big cmon Hu lets get one more! The silver lining finally appeared.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

Taylor has had a balky ankle, but hopefully that's past him. According to this, he may apply for another year of eligibility.

https://www.jconline.com/story/sports/c ... 507735002/
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

Great news. Not sure how likely an extra year of eligibility is but that sounds like it could just be the cherry on top for this signing.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

stuball888 wrote:Hughes at 6ft10 and what 210 a little light for the post
everything I have read says he is 240lbs - that would be awesome if he were to get a 2nd year of eligibly with us. I saw some high school clips of him and he is athletic - I hope for his sake he mends what has plagued him and finishes his career on an up note and as successfully as some other 5th year seniors that JAM has brought in.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

daHUPride wrote:
everything I have read says he is 240lbs - that would be awesome if he were to get a 2nd year of eligibly with us. I saw some high school clips of him and he is athletic - I hope for his sake he mends what has plagued him and finishes his career on an up note and as successfully as some other 5th year seniors that JAM has brought in.
I'm a bit confused here wasn't the 210 reference referring to Hal Hughes our 6'10" Australian mystery kid not Taylor who's 240??
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Kind of interesting, Taylor was supposed to visit ODU this weekend, and committed to us before that visit. That must mean the staff did a great job selling the program to him. https://pilotonline.com/sports/college/ ... 88bea.html
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

triplec2195 wrote:
daHUPride wrote:
I'm a bit confused here wasn't the 210 reference referring to Hal Hughes our 6'10" Australian mystery kid not Taylor who's 240??
my bad - read to quickly that it WAS Hughes that "triple2195" was referring to.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

ProudofPride wrote:Kind of interesting, Taylor was supposed to visit ODU this weekend, and committed to us before that visit. That must mean the staff did a great job selling the program to him. https://pilotonline.com/sports/college/ ... 88bea.html
Taylor (#23) also said he wants to get into the media world/business of film making - maybe we were able to show him our pipeline to that industry. Plus he knows if hes healthy - there are a lot of minutes to be had for a big man at Hofstra. Whatever it was, nice pickup.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Hofstra was “Taylor made for him to play the post”
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Here's Jaquil Taylor's pedigree going back to H.S. taken from Purdue's web-site; He definitely has a history of injuries which has diminished his stats but if we can keep him on the floor for maybe 30 minutes a game he could be a real game changer for us and also has a perimeter game to go with his post skills.
Junior // Forward // 6-10 // 240
Cambridge, Massachusetts // Beaver Country Day School

Career Notes
• Taylor has missed significant parts of two of his three seasons at Purdue, but is healthy entering the year.
• Will be counted on this year to provide depth to Purdue’s frontcourt.
• Has good touch out to 3-point range and has added about 25 pounds since his arrival at Purdue.
• Has produced in his minutes at Purdue, averaging 14.5 points and 12.5 rebounds per 40 minutes.

World University Games (August 2017)
• Taylor was a pleasant surprise in Taipei, averaging 5.8 points per game and ranking second in rebounding (6.1 rpg) in just 14
.6 minutes per game.
• Averaged 16.9 rebounds / 40 minutes in Taipei.
• Recorded seven points, 14 rebounds and two blocked shots in just 16 minutes vs. Estonia.
• Had five points, eight rebounds and three assists in the opener vs. Argentina.
• Contributed nine points and nine rebounds in 16 minutes vs. the United Arab Emirates.
• Only had two points in the quarterfi nals win over Israel, but was plus-17 when on the fl oor.
• Scored four points with seven rebounds in 14 minutes during the Gold-medal game against Lithuania.

As a Sophomore / 2016-17
• Suffered a foot injury in October, causing him to miss the entire season.

As a RS-Freshman / 2015-16
• Taylor appeared in 13 games for the Boilermakers, averaging 1.8 points and 1.5 rebounds in just 4.6 minutes per game.
• Posted his first career double-double with 12 points and 10 rebounds in just 14 minutes against Rutgers. Made 4-of-6 field goals and 2-of-3 3-pointers
against the Scarlet Knights.
• Scored five points with two rebounds, a block and a steal in 10 minutes against Howard.
• Netted two points with a rebound in the Big Ten Tournament win over Illinois.
• Blocked two shots in five minutes in the season-opening win over North Carolina A&T.
• Averaged 16.0 points and 13.3 rebounds per 40 minutes played.

As a Freshman / 2014-15
• Taylor appeared in six games throughout his freshman campaign, before nagging injuries from high school eventually ended his
season.
• Was granted a medical hardship waiver and his freshman season of eligibility was restored in mid-July.
• Appeared in the first five games of the year and then the Arkansas State contest on Dec. 10, before being sidelined.
• Scored a total of 13 points with 12 rebounds, two assists and four blocks in 42 minutes of action.
• Had two assists against Grambling, in addition to making his first career three-pointer.

High School
• Three-star recruit according to ESPN.com and Rivals and ranked as the No. 6 prospect in the state of Massachusetts.
• As a senior, was named the Eastern Independent League (EIL) MVP, team MVP and named to the Boston Globe All-Scholastic Team for the third straight
year, leading his team to the NEPSAC Class B title.
• Named eighth-best player in New England by the New England Recruiting Report.
• Named Big Man of the Year, Best Shot Blocker and MVP by Hoop Mountain (AAU).
• Earned first-team All-NEPSAC Class B accolades as a sophomore, leading Beaver Country Day to an undefeated regular season and
the NEPSAC Class B
title, typically one of the toughest conferences in America.
• Averaged 15.1 points, 8.3 rebounds and 3.2 blocks a game as a sophomore, being named the EIL Co-MVP. Was also named to the Boston Globe All-Scholastic Team.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Looks like this guy certainly has some talent.
Really like that he's a rebounder AND a shot blocker. Can shoot it a bit too.
Red flags are injury history, has picked up fouls kind of quickly in limited time, and he didn't get minutes when Vince Edwards was banged up.
ZMAN3

Post by ZMAN3 »

Is he confirmed as IN ? Is he going to visit ODU or was that cancelled ?
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

ZMAN3

Post by ZMAN3 »

I can go with that!! - lol
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

I'm pretty happy with this pickup especially at this stage of the game.. I was starting to wonder where our 5 was coming from but this kid seems to fit the bill perfectly. We dont need an all-star, just a serviceable big who can start and play the majority of the minutes at the 5.

There are plenty of vids on youtube of this kid, the talent is there- he can definitely play in the CAA. The only question seems to be can he stay healthy for a full season getting starter's minutes. We'll take our chances I guess.