MBB recruits 2016

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HUSID80

Re: MBB recruits 2016

Post by HUSID80 »

I'll take the 3 star kids and take my chances. We've had too many projects who don't amount to nothing. By the way any kid who gets a D 1 offer gets two stars.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Jojogunne wrote:I would rather recruit a one- or two-star player who improves than a three-star player who doesn't.

And Polito, you better take a chill pill before tonight's game vs. W&M. I don't want to have to pull you in from the ledge after another HU loss. : )
Given those two choices and knowing the end results - I too would take the overachieving 2-star player over the underachieving 3-star recruit - however, having to many "projects" with upside and not enough established is recipe for disaster for most programs.

What I would want from a recruit - regardless of star ranking - is someone that wants to come to the gym, works, works hard and is good teammate - the best player that doesn't show up is useless.
Polito

Post by Polito »

oh this is rich... LOL you guys are too funny - alright, I'll play along for some Friday fun

Recruiting isn't all about star rating, obviously, but that was a part of this conversation - I don't think the staff is going hm, he's a 3 star, get him!! It's just a measurement, it's one of several factors - and you guys are out of your mind if you want HU to go back to landing only 2 stars and then literally praying for 4 yrs that they turn into something - I guarantee BOTH of you have spoken about the need to elevate recruiting level at HU at some point over the many yrs pre-JM - guarantee it. So you're just talking junk now. What you're saying is the EXACT OPPOSITE of what HU needs to do. I want some 4's baby!

There are projects at all levels, guys that don't pan out on ALL levels, so ya know what, so I'll take my chances with the 3 star and above kids in this conf

OF COURSE you would take the player who develops over anyone else regardless of star level lololol - hey, I have an idea, when you two figure out which ones those are, whenever you start seeing that label tattooed on a players forehead prior to them stepping on a D1 court, which is when you need to know that, do please let us all know! Matter of fact, let the WORLD of sports know :lol: :lol:

good Lord :roll:

Are we done with this craziness yet? Any additional lessons and I'm going to start charging! 8-)
Cards

Post by Cards »

Chuba Ohams commits to Fordham That's a bit of a surprise. There were many better MBB programs (including HU) that offered. Must have been something other than the Program that sold him on the school - unless it was immediate playing time as a Freshman. I always thought that Ohams would have been a good fit at HU - nice athletic 6'-7" - oh well.

Saul Phiri commits to La Salle. Good player, but not a big deal since we signed Pemba. Upside on Pemba is much much higher! But then again, he might be one of those 3 star recruits that only develops into a 2 star player :lol: :lol: :lol:
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Cards wrote:Chuba Ohams commits to Fordham That's a bit of a surprise. There were many better MBB programs (including HU) that offered. Must have been something other than the Program that sold him on the school - unless it was immediate playing time as a Freshman. I always thought that Ohams would have been a good fit at HU - nice athletic 6'-7" - oh well.

Saul Phiri commits to La Salle. Good player, but not a big deal since we signed Pemba. Upside on Pemba is much much higher! But then again, he might be one of those 3 star recruits that only develops into a 2 star player :lol: :lol: :lol:
On the Zags Blog podcast Chuba said Fordham recruited him the hardest and he really liked the coaching staff, naming one assistant in particular....Also said Fordham was closer to home. He never mentioned Hofstra as one of his top schools....Oh well plenty of others out there
RollPride15

Post by RollPride15 »

A bit frustrating that we didn't really make him no.1 on our target list, since he fills a real need and seems to have plenty of upside. I trust Joe to identify talent properly though, and I'm confident we can bring in some more talent to complement Pemberton.

As an aside, who do we see as the theoretical star of the future if all goes well? Obviously if Rokas stays he'll be the centerpiece for the next two years, and Buie can develop into a tenacious pass-first guard. I see JWF basically going into Bernardi's role, except with a better ability to finish at the rim. I'm interested to see where Pemberton fits.

My only concern going forward is if players start transferring out. JWF and Andre are possible transfer candidates in my mind, and Rokas could see offers to transfer from some serious (think top 25) schools if he wants to raise his pro profile a la Damion Lee.
HU87

Post by HU87 »

A bunch of mumbles lately on kids transferring-- Where is this coming from?? Aside from AW, I would be very surprised to see anyone transfer this offseason. JWF is getting off the bench on a soon-to-be 20 win team as a freshman, as part of a winning program that loses 4 contributors after this year. As an under-sized but explosive 2 guard, I think he realizes this is exactly where he should be. He'll be starting and relied upon as a major contributor by his JR year.

I LOVE Rokas, as we all do. I would really, really hope he sees this opportunity as a time to STAR for a quality mid-major in a quality conference. I'm knocking on every piece of wood in my vicinity while typing this, but I just can't see him trying to find greener pastures. He seems to embody everything we want for this program, and I would assume JAM will do whatever it takes to keep him here for 4 years. One would assume it would be much better for him than battling for minutes with super-athletic bigs while averaging 10 and 8 at a major program.

I think losing Halil Kanacevic and Chaz Williams has (rightfully) freaked us all out when we have some young talent. BUT lets not forget those two transferred with the departure of Pecora to Fordham. I think the young talent we have now should, and do, recognize the opportunities they'll have next season and beyond. And hey, they should even get some post-season experience to go along with it...
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Rokus is going nowhere. He loves Hofstra.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

HUSID80 wrote:Rokus is going nowhere. He loves Hofstra.
Exactly, not going to happen. In a Newsday article about him, he discussed exactly why he chose Hofstra over some of the bigger name schools that were recruiting him. He loves the school and NYC, and he wanted a school where he would stand out and be a star, not one where he'd have to fight for playing time.
Polito

Post by Polito »

The only player even in the transfer realm is AW, and honestly, I'm not convinced that he does - I think he stays based on the somewhat increased use, and the fact that next yrs team will have a very different look - with Sabety in the picture, 2 bigs can play at the same time - bodes well for them all - just a hunch.

JWF? lol huh? What in the world are you talking about? This kid is going to be a starter as soon as next yr. Guys, there is literally, no one else is even in the xfer discussion.

I saw that commit from Ohams and thought, wow, interesting choice - but hey a player needs to go where he feels best - as Speedy always says, you don't go for the name of the school, you go where you fit and feel best - and honestly, I never felt he was coming here - either on his end or HU's or both - I just didn't sense his vibe here

Was also a bit surprised at Phiri to LaSalle - that place is an A10 doormat right now - prob PT related, as he will have an immediate chance to start - but I didn't feel him at HU either, and def not once EP signed - again, 2 somewhat surprises, but can't knock the young men for going where they feel is best for them - and I don't either were figured heavily into any HU plans

Onward... I am VERY curious to the JUCO names besides Bob - VERY curious...
RollPride15

Post by RollPride15 »

It's not that I expect players to transfer out, my only thought was that unexpected transfers are the only realistic road bump in what should be a very talented 16-17 roster. If everyone stays I think we're in a very strong position next year.
Cards

Post by Cards »

I still strongly believe we need the 6'6" to 6'8' bridge from the Pemba/Robinson to the HS/RG type. Someone who can fill the Koon role (guy who is mobile, can score from outside, and can hit the boards as needed). Have to admit, DK has done a good job in that role this year. He might not be a standout in any one area, but he does meet the criteria in all those areas, highlighting his versatility. he has proven to be a very valuable pick-up!!
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

I wonder if there are any more IVY grad students who we can pluck off say Harvard or Princeton.
Polito

Post by Polito »

100% cards - a versatile WF is an absolute MUST in this class - matter of fact, I'll take 2 please 8-)

I'm sure they have their desired pieces identified and are working like heck to land them - I think the big wild card here in terms of transfers (especially potential 1 yr/grad student types) is the post-season - an NCAAT appearance could be a big boost on that front

Have full faith in the staff to bring in the talent, and excited to see how this class plays out in the coming months - they were in FL quite a bit pre-season, would love to know some of the real potential JUCO targets...

only thing missing that I want to see this round is the numbers - this program needs some bodies - considering the impact felt this yr (and really from JM's start) depth should NEVER be a problem going forward - that lesson needs to be learned and steps taken to resolve from here on out.
garyg

Post by garyg »

As others have mentioned on this board before it is crucial for Hofstra to make NCAA tournament this season...it will be the difference between us having a good recruiting class and a great recruiting class especially since most of our recruits will be signing in the spring
ZMAN3

Post by ZMAN3 »

I hope you guys are WRIGHT on JWF - I don't see it - I see an under 6' skinny 2 guard with an unreliable jumper who's strength is going to the basket - against guys more than a half foot taller and decidedly stronger. Koon has been terrific - saved the season.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

What others schools offered JWF?
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

ZMAN3 wrote:I hope you guys are WRIGHT on JWF - I don't see it - I see an under 6' skinny 2 guard with an unreliable jumper who's strength is going to the basket - against guys more than a half foot taller and decidedly stronger. Koon has been terrific - saved the season.
I think JWF has upside and also hope we (I) are right - he is athletic and shows a quick release that like most frosh he needs to work on and adjust his game to the college level -
Koon - talk about the right kind of guy for the right team at the right time - don't think we'd got the same level of play from a say a redshirting JR
that graduating senior/with a year of immediate eligibility is now - especially for HU - and important part of recruiting and building a team going forward - hope there is another in the works
Polito

Post by Polito »

I'm excited to see what JWF can do with more PT and experience under his belt - I think he has a lot to offer - extremely athletic, plays above the rim, can score in bunches from all over the floor, has a handle, can create his shot... a ton of ability and potential there

Undersized yes - but so is Buie - the right talent in the right system overcomes that, and we are seeing it live at HU - I'm not too concerned about that - the one area that's an unknown to me is his D - that may be an area that needs improvement, I don't know enough to say one way or the other - he's been a big-time scoring guard, that I know - and he also helped recruit Buie here, so JWF is all good in my book!

And look, this staff is doing some really strong things with player development - there are a number of examples of guys that came in with question marks and produced above and beyone anyone's expectations - that's what this coaching staff brings to the table - super talent evaluation and the ability to put it to work in their system

Upshaw, Nesmith, Koon, now Gustys - we'll see more with the freshmen, and I bet Jamall Robinson will turn some heads next yr with an improved game - I have a lot of confidence this staff will help JWF and others elevate

For '16 WF's, I'm liking Antwan Walker a LOT - would love to land this young man, think he'd be a fantastic get - 6'7 215, long, super athletic, plays beyond the rim, is a rebounding machine, blocks EVERYTHING, can score back to the basket, pull up jumper, and out to the 3, runs great, has a solid handle, and is actually a very good passer - posted a triple-double recently points, blocks, and rebounds - major upside with this staff's development

And he's from a fertile recruiting area in the DMV (DC, Maryland, Virginia) - bringing him in could also help HU with his friend and teammate Kiyon Boyd, a Soph that HU has already offered, and will likely be a 4 star kid if not already

Decent offer list with some A10's and top half of CAA, but not over the top - I think HU has a great shot, unless he goes prep - seems to have a good head on his shoulders - not about the name, about the development and growth and the chance to move on one day - and HU has a MAJOR need for a WF of his size right now...
ZMAN3

Post by ZMAN3 »

Don't see it with JWF - first off 5'10" guys don't play above rim - (we don't even throw lobs to our big guys) His strength is getting out on break - haven't seen anything re his handle to make me feel it's anything special. Buie is a point with long arms, great handle and passing ability (and it better be because Gustys depends on him - can't shoot anything other than a layup) Where's JWF playing ? He's too small for the 2 so he's a backup PG ?
As far as the staff doing anything with those mentioned - they all could play prior - Upshaw never got chance playing behind top player on squad, Nesmith was solid at Monmouth and Koon at Princeton - just progressed exponentially. Certainly like what Gustys has done but he can't shoot - period. What have they done with AW ? Zero - Bernardi - nothing really and Nichols wasn't much better than last year if at all. HU was picked first so... and our "zone" is a joke.