MBB Recruits 2019

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
garyg

Re: MBB Recruits 2019

Post by garyg »

Wonder if we are still in the running for the Atlanta PG Speedy has connections to ??
Polito

Post by Polito »

Vital to have one get mentored by Buie next year, and HU will get theirs. Prob already have him identified... newest PG offer was for a '20, a small potential sign to me that a '19 one may be in good shape.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Just offered 2020 PG Isaiah Wilson on 1/31:

http://verbalcommits.com/players/isaiah-wilson-pa
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

But what is really going on behind the scenes? V/C is just scratching the surface most of the time whenever we sign anyone it can take forever to appear on V/C. I wish there was a better source for recruits out there. Probably better to get it straight from the powers that be that some of us here are privy too.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Does anyone know especially those that have seen our practices whether there are any players who practice with us that are trying to make the team? Guys that may want to walk on. Does this happen? Maybe kids that somehow slipped thru the cracks who possibly are going to school here.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

triplec2195 wrote:Does anyone know especially those that have seen our practices whether there are any players who practice with us that are trying to make the team? Guys that may want to walk on. Does this happen? Maybe kids that somehow slipped thru the cracks who possibly are going to school here.
Nope...none...if they are short Speedy or Farrelly will join practice.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HUSID74 wrote:
triplec2195 wrote:Does anyone know especially those that have seen our practices whether there are any players who practice with us that are trying to make the team? Guys that may want to walk on. Does this happen? Maybe kids that somehow slipped thru the cracks who possibly are going to school here.
Nope...none...if they are short Speedy or Farrelly will join practice.
OK so I know at least in recent memory we had(have) Klementowicz who clearly has some game and probably is a good kid to have for morale and who provides good practice competition. We had Tommy Ros who appeared to have less ability and left the team. We also had someone else as a walk on whose name escapes me recently. There's different ways to look at these walk ons and they do behoove us if we are short and need practice bodies. They also could be offered scholarships if they have game and scholarships become available. I do remember a kid I believe from L.I. who got a fair amount of playing time during the basketball scandal years. I think that's when it was. The reason I'm bringing this up I was recently told by a casual acquaintance who I see when I go walking is that her son will be playing basketball here next year. Now I'm not going to bring up any names just yet because when I did my own research on him I felt based on his resume that we wouldn't have offered him a scholarship. So out of respect for him and the family I'll keep the conversation anonymous but think he would be coming here as a walk on if in fact this entire situation is accurate. Does this seem credible to those in the know??
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

He could be coming in as a walk on...most of them don't stick with it because it's a tough grind and there is VERY little playing time...Connor is an exception as he has been with the team for three years.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Dwyer was a walk on at Upenn.....just sayin
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Cards wrote:Dwyer was a walk on at Upenn.....just sayin
AND here he gets a scholarship. My feeling is that he has more upside then downside and we would be in some trouble without him because we don't have a suitable sub for Taylor right now. We clearly lose a lot at that position when he comes in.
Flying Dutchmen

Cards wrote:Dwyer was a walk on at Upenn.....just sayin
I don't think he was, where did you find that info, I found an article of him getting an offer and committing to UPenn.

https://www.thedp.com/article/2014/04/p ... -dan-dwyer

The Ivy League doesn't offer scholarships per se, they receive financial aid packages:

https://ivyleague.com/sports/2017/7/28/ ... index.aspx

And triplec, I believe the guy you're thinking of is Matt Grogan, he got a lot of burn on that last Mo team.

Best walk-on was Anthony Noble, who was a walk-on back in like '03, got a lot of playing time that year due to injuries.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Flying Dutchmen wrote:Dwyer was a walk on at Upenn.....just sayinI don't think he was, where did you find that info, I found an article of him getting an offer and committing to UPenn.
Not that verbal commits is the end all source of accurate info, but they have him listed as a RS-red shirt FWO-former walkon
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Thanks FD yes Grogan a decent player.
Mikey77

Post by Mikey77 »

FD - Not sure Anthony Noble was a walk-on per se. Think his dad worked at HU and he got a free ride for that reason.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

That’s it. If you are a employee of Hofstra it’s free tuition for your kid. Anthony did not need a dorm room since he lived in Uniondale
Flying Dutchmen

Mikey77 wrote:FD - Not sure Anthony Noble was a walk-on per se. Think his dad worked at HU and he got a free ride for that reason.
Makes sense! He was too good to be a true walk-on.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Noble.. blast from the past. Good kid that absolutely loved HU and wanted to be here. Yes, he did turn down a couple of small offers elsewhere, and was absolutely a walk-on at HU - and yes, his father worked here negating the cost, so it made sense.

He had some skill and a great HS career, but was in no way shape or form a CAA level athlete, which is why HU did not offer out of HS - AE or NEC level would've prob been better for him, although he did very little at SBU. That's why he ultimately ended up at Adelphi.

Wish him nothing but the best.
garyg

Post by garyg »

Hey SID...anymore tidbits from the recruiting trail???

The 6-5 SG from South Carolina, Asanti Price, looks like a heck of a prospect...
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Nothing at the moment...did hear we're in with a lot of prospects....winning and all the NY media helps!
Flying Dutchmen

HUSID74 wrote:Nothing at the moment...did hear we're in with a lot of prospects....winning and all the NY media helps!
Hope we're still in on Tony Johnson in GA, he would be a perfect fit. Lots of good guards still left in Georgia. Speedy, open that pipeline!