Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
joeg1

Re: MBB Recruits 2019

Post by joeg1 »

He was in the suite for the opener- have not seen him since
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

The thing is Jaquil really seems to be enjoying his time at Hofstra. He is in grad school. The NCAA should embrace this. With all the scandals at some of the big 5 schools this is a feel good story that the NCAA could use
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

stuball888 wrote:The thing is Jaquil really seems to be enjoying his time at Hofstra. He is in grad school. The NCAA should embrace this. With all the scandals at some of the big 5 schools this is a feel good story that the NCAA could use
that is something Ive noticed about JT - is his enthusiasm.
I too think he seems to be enjoying his time on this team.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Love JT, kudos to the staff on this one, I know he was at a P5 program, but did next to nothing - was a big unknown, and has flourished. HU really should do whatever they can here to gain another year.
Be nice if showed up for a game!
LOL, shots fired!! :lol:
garyg

Post by garyg »

Obviously winning today is the priority but keep an eye out for recruits behind Hofstra bench...maybe Speedy's Atlanta PG came for a visit ??
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

In all fairness JT was hurt for around two years. Never really got a chance to play much at Purdue...Another lesson for kids...Play at the right level!

Spoke to AD Rick Cole today and it does not look good for another year for JT...Let him help us win the CAA and go out as a HERO! year
Polito

Post by Polito »

Ugh, hate to hear that... but that sounds like a plan to me, let's go!

Also, I feel great about Kante - just loving what JT brings, would be super to have him back. But if not, let's go all out this yr!
garyg

Post by garyg »

The season we are having is going to enhance our recruiting quite a bit and making it to the BIG DANCE would be icing on the cake....does anyone know if recruits were at Charleston game ???
Captain

Post by Captain »

So we beat Charleston in a statement game then head down to South Carolina and offer 2 studs from keenan High school.
A 2019 sr.guard named Asanti Price and his Jr teammate , a small forward also 6'5" named Dillon Jones.
Strike while the iron is hot!
Polito

Post by Polito »

Making the dance would certainly do a lot for this program, and be a big boost for perception and recruiting efforts - BUT HU already recruits a high caliber player, esp in the guard ranks, so I'm thinking it would basically make the staffs job a little easier in terms of their targets being a bit easier to land. Not sure that would necessarily mean HU starts landing 4 star kids, but ya never know, that combined with HU's pro track record might push them to take the program more seriously at least.

Making a run would do even more - doing it again next year even more - you get the idea. I think it boosts the consistency, the targets, the ease of landing commitments, the grad transfer attraction, etc. Would prob help depth talent because of all that as well.

That said, I love who HU is targeting in this class... no issue at all there thus far.

Like Price a lot - could be the heir to Eli. Nice length, nice handle, not overly quick but athletic, strong shooter, consistent from 3, loves to drive and pullup for jumpers, good mid-range game, great at catch and shoot while still crafty at creating space for his own shot... top 20 in S.C.

P.S. My obligatory yearly 'I told ya so' to Jessie Govan :lol: should've transferred to HU and balled with his boy for 2 yrs - would've done damage instead of living the continued Hoya demise. (- > very happy with JT and this season by the way, just noting it would've been a much better / smarter move for him - Buie tried Jessie!)

P.S.S. Same with props to the staff on being one of the few to keep their talent in-house for the duration - a dying trend among mids, and a HUGE plus for HU, staff deserves big kudos for it, really not easy to do anymore - it causes major problems for programs of this size, and these kind of articles are all too common now:
https://www.foxsports.com/college-baske ... ave-012319

Thanks to our guys, player and staff!!!
garyg

Post by garyg »

Hope we have a connection to 6-10 JR Josh Gray at The Knox School [160 students] in St. James....verbal has Stony Brook as the only offer at this point
Cards

Post by Cards »

garyg wrote:Hope we have a connection to 6-10 JR Josh Gray at The Knox School [160 students] in St. James....verbal has Stony Brook as the only offer at this point
Yesterday, Knox school beat Chaminade in overtime (Knox is starting to make a name for themselves).

Anyway, Josh Gray had 20 pts and 21 rebs :shock:
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Interesting find gary and I hope we get a PG in the fold that is going to be an important piece of the puzzle. Getting Buie for another year huge but he needs to mentor his heir apparent. Like everyone has said if we make noise this year it will go a long way to get some studs.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Certainly worth a look but I'd need to see a lot more from him - Chaminade is not a power

Knox school def has ability - maybe he does too, so it's worth them checking him out in earnest - but I'm not sold yet - buzz on him is real light... but hey it could be early in his development and a chance to get in now before he blows up

I'm much more interested in the proven talent this program can land with an NCAAT appearance (and wins) under it's belt.
garyg

Post by garyg »

Just a JR Polito and from what I understand the biggies are starting to take notice...
Polito

Post by Polito »

Can def agree with that, local 6'10 Jr, worth a look as to his developing skill set and whether it fits for D1 at HU
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I saw this morning that PG Noah Kamba from Mass. a three star recruit signed with Murray State. IDK how hard we recruited him but hope someone though is coming our way.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

There are a plethora of point guards out there. We just have to find the right one to fit our system. remember we have a pretty good coach who was a great point guard to coach him up.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

stuball888 wrote:There are a plethora of point guards out there. We just have to find the right one to fit our system. remember we have a pretty good coach who was a great point guard to coach him up.
Yes and also a pretty good PG who can mentor him as well.