Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
stuball888

Re: MMB 2021 recruiting

Post by stuball888 »

We should go after him in case of either Kante or Schutte transfers next year
Polito

Post by Polito »

That kid is a STAR, conf POY - very doubtful HU reels him in. Very likely he's looking for max exposure for his future draft.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Polito wrote:That kid is a STAR, conf POY - very doubtful HU reels him in. Very likely he's looking for max exposure for his future draft.
Boom a P5 conference school will be in his future!
Polito

Re: MBB Recruits 2021

Post by Polito »

One to watch... HU makes the top 5 for '21 NYC PG Jaquan Carlos along with Ok State, Pitt, VT, and Fordham. Announces Friday the 13th 8-)

https://twitter.com/iamjaquann?lang=en

Couple of notes:
Consensus 3 star, this kid is a stud. #6 in NY, top 50 PG in the country, other big time offers he eliminated including Cincinnati, UConn, DePaul, East Carolina, North Carolina State, Pittsburgh, St. John's, and Wake Forest. Bucket getter, floor general, high IQ. Scores, dishes, and steals. This is the kind of recruit this program needs to follow up Cowart / Burgess. Only 5'10 but 1st team level baller in the CAA.

Pluses for HU:
- VT insider doesn't see VT in his future, and I agree - they are good at PG.
- OSU hasn't actually offered yet, although recruiting him - hopefully he sees that means you are not their high choice.
- Pitt only has 1 scholly for this class - maybe 2, so 1 for a guard 1 for a big. Would they use such a highly valued 'ship on a 3 star? Not sure. Believe they and OSU are also heavily recruiting Khalil Brantley, the other top NY PG who is also a star, and prob ahead of Carlos by a hair.
- Fordham...I mean I just don't see a concern here, but who knows.

I'm hopeful, but would see Pitt as the biggest threat, and would be too tough with Capel at the helm IF they really want him in their only scholly to give. Let's hope they don't. Super top group for HU to be with and a high major talent - he could be the next great HU guard if he pulls the trigger for the good guys. And from NYC to boot to continue HU's legacy of such. We shall see...
Mikey77

Post by Mikey77 »

Good report and analysis Polito. Thank you.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

Has anyone heard any rumors on if any the seniors will come back for another year?
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

HofstraMathew wrote:Has anyone heard any rumors on if any the seniors will come back for another year?
Buie is already playing pro ball, so I don't think that ever was seriously considered by the NCAA.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Polito wrote:One to watch... HU makes the top 5 for '21 NYC PG Jaquan Carlos along with Ok State, Pitt, VT, and Fordham. Announces Friday the 13th 8-)

https://twitter.com/iamjaquann?lang=en

Couple of notes:
Consensus 3 star, this kid is a stud. #6 in NY, top 50 PG in the country, other big time offers he eliminated including Cincinnati, UConn, DePaul, East Carolina, North Carolina State, Pittsburgh, St. John's, and Wake Forest. Bucket getter, floor general, high IQ. Scores, dishes, and steals. This is the kind of recruit this program needs to follow up Cowart / Burgess. Only 5'10 but 1st team level baller in the CAA.

Pluses for HU:
- VT insider doesn't see VT in his future, and I agree - they are good at PG.
- OSU hasn't actually offered yet, although recruiting him - hopefully he sees that means you are not their high choice.
- Pitt only has 1 scholly for this class - maybe 2, so 1 for a guard 1 for a big. Would they use such a highly valued 'ship on a 3 star? Not sure. Believe they and OSU are also heavily recruiting Khalil Brantley, the other top NY PG who is also a star, and prob ahead of Carlos by a hair.
- Fordham...I mean I just don't see a concern here, but who knows.

I'm hopeful, but would see Pitt as the biggest threat, and would be too tough with Capel at the helm IF they really want him in their only scholly to give. Let's hope they don't. Super top group for HU to be with and a high major talent - he could be the next great HU guard if he pulls the trigger for the good guys. And from NYC to boot to continue HU's legacy of such. We shall see...
would be a great get but usually these things are just done as a courtesy to teams like hofstra and fordham when big schools are involved.
maybe they'll get lucky if he wants to stay close to home
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

cactus wrote:
HofstraMathew wrote:Has anyone heard any rumors on if any the seniors will come back for another year?
Buie is already playing pro ball, so I don't think that ever was seriously considered by the NCAA.
I am talking about the seniors this year. My understanding is this year doesn’t count towards anyone’s eligibility.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Oh for sure cactus, that is definitely true in many cases, no argument there. These seem to be his most recent offers, outside of VT, but on good reports he will not be a Hokie. One out of 4 chance, not too bad really 8-) this could be the opposite scenario, where the rest are just not really in it... low prob, but as they say in D&D, there IS a chance!

I do not see him being quite 'star' enough for a place like OSU, and they also have reportedly not actually offered him yet, which would support that notion. And I hope some helpful folks in his circle have shown him how many NYC studs who have been duped into venturing out west because of some coach with former NY ties only to disappear into obscurity (because life is vastly diff in the cornfields than the streets of NYC), and then resurface 2 years later in the transfer market to come back east ending up at a mid anyway.

Fordham I just don't see. Neubauer has done a respectable job in his handful of years there, but it's just a brutal place to do anything of significance in a pretty good conf. They are projected to be very bad again this year, plus they are also super young with Fr and Soph guards all over the roster. But who knows, I'm also not a 17 yr old kid anymore, they do strange things sometimes LOL.

Pitt is interesting - Capel is a draw for any player, it's reasonable east coast, and they are rebuilding so they aren't the automatic 4 and 5 star recruiting power they one were... yet. The twist here is that Pitt only has 1 scholly. They may get 2 depending on the one players direction, but either way they have only 1 for a guard. Its not a flyer position for them, so is he the one they really want? Hey if he is, he gone and won't blame him. But if he's not high on their list, then it opens the door.

HU has a legit shot here IMO (and I'm also assuming HU really wants him)- he's the only public PG HU is after, HU needs one ideally in this class, HU has 'sellable' history with guards (esp NYC ones) as both all-conf performers while in college and developing profitable pro careers, and have a nice pitch to pair him up with a star shooter in G Barrouk. But just having fun thinking about it all! If a big prioritizes him, that will be it.

HU has also offered a boat load of PG's in the '22 class - so that either means they feel good about landing one and are focusing efforts to pull in a PG in back to back classes, possible, or they don't expect one in this class and are doubling down for the next, also possible. We'll find out in a few days...
Polito

Post by Polito »

Also, per JR, HU has interest in grad transfer 6'8 215lb F Danilo Djuricic from Harvard:

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status ... 5401742339
https://gocrimson.com/sports/mens-baske ... icic/22206

A lot of programs listed, so this one feels early to really know how serious or likely, but worth noting.
Cards

Post by Cards »

PG Kahlil Brantley. He just included HU on his top 10 list with some other top schools (OSU, Seton Hall, others). Also note that some other name schools like StJ did not make his list.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... uG_gsPlRhi
Polito

Post by Polito »

Great catch Cards, I actually did not expect that one to be honest... that's now the 2 best PG's in NY that HU has made the cut

Act of good will or not, I will take that image boost all day long - for HU to even be on the table for these two is really important - A) HU needs to continue it's NYC pipeline, esp for guards, B) PG is a vital spot for HU's playbook and the spot is wide open in 2 short years, C) to maintain very strong recruiting efforts and in-roads even w/out JM, and D) to capitalize on last seasons success / championship.

Both of these kids are stud guards - scoring machines, great floor vision, etc. - I would say JC is a bit more of a score first / attack the basket, with KB more of a run the O, although both can drop points on you in a hurry and equally make the killer pass to the better option

KB is an interesting one to watch for here - of course logic says P5, but in a recent interview he specifically stated his choice will not be about the name on the uniform, it's about fit, family, staff, culture, etc. This plays very well for HU IMO. And he supports his 'words' with a very nice mix of big and mid in his top 10, so I think he has the right character / mindset.

Landing either of these guys would be a big win on the trail - fingers crossed, bring one home coach F!!
RollPride15

Post by RollPride15 »

Love seeing us in on high-profile PGs. Cowart/Burgess/Bethea/2021 PG is a lot of commitment for the position. But I like the idea of going best player available, focusing on NYC guys, and seeing who among that cohort of young PGs can carve out their role as the future of the team. It seems like maybe Bethea projects as more of an SG anyway, which means Masic/Barrouk play as 3s.

I wonder how JAM's situation is affecting recruiting -- it would appear Farrelly and Speedy are still getting things done in his absence.

Getting Djuricic would only reinforce this Ivy-grad pipeline we've got going with Koon and Dwyer. He was basically the 7th man on a very good Harvard team and I can see him serving as a reliable veteran wing in a spot where we'd otherwise be pretty young.
HU87

Post by HU87 »

Jaquan Carlos announcing commitment on Friday: https://twitter.com/iamJaquann/status/1 ... 5069812736

Agree with Polito's analysis... I think we have a real shot, with Pitt being the front runner.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Jaquan Carlos commits!
RollPride15

Post by RollPride15 »

What a pickup. Not like these rankings necessarily mean much, but 42nd PG nationally and 6th ranked player in the state. Buie, for reference, was 62/8. You have to love the caliber of talent that the staff is bringing in...I trust our development to make at least some of the Cramer/Green/Bethea/Carlos etc crew into stars.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Link: https://n.rivals.com/news/brooklyn-guar ... es-hofstra

Awesome job by the coaching staff!
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

Big time pickup. That's 2 years in a row we have secured major talent in the early signing period. A great trend.