MBB Recruits 2019

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Flying Dutchmen

Re: MBB Recruits 2019

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Jojogunne wrote:Did we even try to recruit this guy?

https://bluehens.com/news/2018/12/21/de ... inter.aspx
Maybe we did, perhaps UD is just a better fit. There are 351 D-1 programs other than Hofstra that Painter could have chosen. Painter looked like a good fit, but there are thousands of players that are good fits that don't come to Hofstra annually.

Why should we have scholarships open? We have enough guys we need to replace next year. I would rather we never have scholarships open, players are always moving on, the more continuity we can create, the better.

I agree that Mihalich cuts the rotation too tight, but it's nice that we have enough scholarship guys on the roster this year, especially if we suffer injuries at any point. We're also carrying two redshirt players, so we don't have much room for error adding an in-season recruit, that wouldn't play next fall.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

We already have two bigs red shirting and Taylor may get a sixth year...maybe Painter saw the numbers and decided to go elsewhere.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

HUSID74 wrote:We already have two bigs red shirting and Taylor may get a sixth year...maybe Painter saw the numbers and decided to go elsewhere.
I'd assume this had something to do with it. We also have Schutte who I am sure the coaching staff expects to develop into at least a 10 minute per game backup role for the 5 spot. He would graduate the same time as Kante and Schutte and we wouldn't play two of them at the same time.
Polito

Post by Polito »

I'd say this was def a sign that HU's post spot is spoken for, which would be great - looking forward to a JT / Kante center combo.

Schutte 10 min a game?? Uh, no, sorry, hard pass on that, as I've said from day 1. Could see this from a mile away. I appreciate his role and contribution here, and think everyone here should know and accept it. I'm fine if he stays as a practice guy with JT and Kante running the show, but honestly he would probably be wise to check out other options IMO.

No way in h e double hockey sticks is this staff banking on that, nor should they - it's not happening. He is not a CAA level player, simply a deeper support guy. Think blowouts and major emergencies (not trying to knock, that's his situation, and every team has those needs). This staff will continue to beef up the post properly. Trust me on that one.

If he stay, then next years 5 spot is set, 3 deep.

If Hughes stays, then he will be the 3rd at the 4 behind Coburn and ST. And be prepared for him to provide the same level of backup support.

Matija will provide 3 deep support at the guard spot. And that's it. Those 3 are very, very limited. Will not, and should not, be major min guys - if so, something has gone very wrong - or there was a hoops miracle level of magic development (hint: don't bank on that one lol).

That means this program needs a CAA/game-ready PG for the 1 (replace KW), and a CAA/gameSG/CG for the 2/3 (replace JR role).
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Flying Dutchmen wrote:
Jojogunne wrote:Did we even try to recruit this guy?

https://bluehens.com/news/2018/12/21/de ... inter.aspx
Maybe we did, perhaps UD is just a better fit. There are 351 D-1 programs other than Hofstra that Painter could have chosen. Painter looked like a good fit, but there are thousands of players that are good fits that don't come to Hofstra annually.

Why should we have scholarships open? We have enough guys we need to replace next year. I would rather we never have scholarships open, players are always moving on, the more continuity we can create, the better.

I agree that Mihalich cuts the rotation too tight, but it's nice that we have enough scholarship guys on the roster this year, especially if we suffer injuries at any point. We're also carrying two redshirt players, so we don't have much room for error adding an in-season recruit, that wouldn't play next fall.

not sure what else UD has coming in but Painter is sure to get big minutes at UD - and after last night they NEED him (and more)
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

UD has three transfers coming in next year. Painter is the best of the bunch
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

My posts seemed to be disappearing either that or I'm delusional. I was posting a comment re Schutte. I believe he has definitely made some PROGRESS after sitting out last year although he's not going to impress anyone re his athletic ability or lack thereof. We need to keep in mind that he's a redshirt freshman and will only get better so is it totally out of the realm of possibility that he could get 5-10 minutes next year? I don't think that's too much of a stretch to even consider this IMO. He does worry me though his ineptness at the FT line. He appears to be worse then ROK if that is possible??
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

triplec2195 wrote:My posts seemed to be disappearing either that or I'm delusional. I was posting a comment re Schutte. I believe he has definitely made some PROGRESS after sitting out last year although he's not going to impress anyone re his athletic ability or lack thereof. We need to keep in mind that he's a redshirt freshman and will only get better so is it totally out of the realm of possibility that he could get 5-10 minutes next year? I don't think that's too much of a stretch to even consider this IMO. He does worry me though his ineptness at the FT line. He appears to be worse then ROK if that is possible??
I happen to agree with triplec, sorry Polito, on Schutte. I have seen him probably more than most of you guys in numerous practices and now on the court and he is more athletic and bigger than he was a year ago. He can jump and has some pretty good moves around the basket.

I think he ultimately could serve in a role similar to what Dwyer is playing for this year's team.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HUSID74 wrote:
triplec2195 wrote:My posts seemed to be disappearing either that or I'm delusional. I was posting a comment re Schutte. I believe he has definitely made some PROGRESS after sitting out last year although he's not going to impress anyone re his athletic ability or lack thereof. We need to keep in mind that he's a redshirt freshman and will only get better so is it totally out of the realm of possibility that he could get 5-10 minutes next year? I don't think that's too much of a stretch to even consider this IMO. He does worry me though his ineptness at the FT line. He appears to be worse then ROK if that is possible??
I happen to agree with triplec, sorry Polito, on Schutte. I have seen him probably more than most of you guys in numerous practices and now on the court and he is more athletic and bigger than he was a year ago. He can jump and has some pretty good moves around the basket.

I think he ultimately could serve in a role similar to what Dwyer is playing for this year's team.
Yes SID he needs to continue to improve and do his due diligence but realistically he hasn't been playing this sport that long. It seems that he certainly hasn't peaked yet. If we have any more blowout games he'll be getting more minutes and this seems entirely possible with some of the teams in this conference this year.
Polito

Post by Polito »

All good fellas...

No disagreement that he can def get better - he's very youthful in hoops experience with plenty of size. I'm just not big on him having some kind of huge future here.

And I'm not really sure why that matters? Why are you guys pushing so hard for him to play? Why does he need to next year with JT and Kante? I mean really... those two are going to lock that spot down and play stud ball. There is 0 reason for Schutte to play 10 min a game with those 2 - not needed unless blowout or emergency.

Fought some of you tooth and nail on KW's fluff as well at one time... think most have finally seen the light there. We'll see who's right on this one as well. And for the record, I hope he is all you believe he is, and more. Would gladly be proven wrong. I don't see it, and I don't think HU needs him to be, but that's just one fellas thought.

There are many many things I am not strong with in this great college hoops game, but when it comes to recruiting and talent eval, I'm pretty confident in my takes. Just a fan, certainly not an expert, but I have a bit of an affinity / knack / etc. for this end of the game because I really enjoy it - always have, recruitnik I guess.

That said, I am very enthused about Kante - believe this fella is gonna bring additional hammer to the post next year - skilled strong athletic returning 'home' (SJU wanted badly, several other quality offers, Hoyas, ODU, St Bon, Dayton, St Joes, etc. and major pedigree between Robeson and Putnam Science - will not be phased by CAA).

And ditto on the anticipation for Cramer - get ready for that one's splash onto the scene once he's fully healed and acclimated to HU/D1/CAA game. BRIGHT future.
Captain

Post by Captain »

I think in the 5-6 years, the coaching staff has found it's groove in recruiting. It probably should not be a surprise. At Niagara, the coach managed to have a team with Juan'ya Green, Ameen Tanksley, Anthony Mason Jr. and TJ Cline. That team would probably have won a couple of MAAC championships. (Mason almost led the nation in scoring at Auburn and TJ Cline was a great point forward at Richmond. IF that team had stayed at Niagara they had some real talent and potential.
Meanwhile the slowish evolution of a recruiting base here has reasons...need some real success in the CAA to impress recruits. Needed to live down a bad public image with the dorm stealing fiasco. Win the CAA and more players will come.
I think we are all looking forward to a period of sustained excellence, not a one year flash in the pan, but a nice basketball machine for years at Hofstra.
WHY NOT??
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Captain wrote:I think in the 5-6 years, the coaching staff has found it's groove in recruiting. It probably should not be a surprise. At Niagara, the coach managed to have a team with Juan'ya Green, Ameen Tanksley, Anthony Mason Jr. and TJ Cline. That team would probably have won a couple of MAAC championships. (Mason almost led the nation in scoring at Auburn and TJ Cline was a great point forward at Richmond. IF that team had stayed at Niagara they had some real talent and potential.
Meanwhile the slowish evolution of a recruiting base here has reasons...need some real success in the CAA to impress recruits. Needed to live down a bad public image with the dorm stealing fiasco. Win the CAA and more players will come.
I think we are all looking forward to a period of sustained excellence, not a one year flash in the pan, but a nice basketball machine for years at Hofstra.
WHY NOT??
Well said Captain and I agree and now I start to foresee this happening with the continued replacing of pieces of the puzzle as they leave with players that fit right into the basketball culture we're nurturing.
garyg

Post by garyg »

Making it to March Madness this season would only enhance our recruiting efforts
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

triplec2195 wrote:
Captain wrote:I think in the 5-6 years, the coaching staff has found it's groove in recruiting. It probably should not be a surprise. At Niagara, the coach managed to have a team with Juan'ya Green, Ameen Tanksley, Anthony Mason Jr. and TJ Cline. That team would probably have won a couple of MAAC championships. (Mason almost led the nation in scoring at Auburn and TJ Cline was a great point forward at Richmond. IF that team had stayed at Niagara they had some real talent and potential.
WHY NOT??
Well said Captain and I agree and now I start to foresee this happening with the continued replacing of pieces of the puzzle as they leave with players that fit right into the basketball culture we're nurturing.
I agree with you - as far as JAM recruiting finding "its groove" - it took some time for JAM to establish that trust and for me to appreciate their recruiting style.
We, as fans and supporters, dont get very much info from this staff of who we are recruiting, looking at or might be getting - and I miss some of that being in the know - but this staff has been consistent in playing their cards close to their vest.
We also dont seem to be able to sign guys early like some other teams do - and it makes me anxious that we are going to miss out on everyone - again it is me trusting the staffs ability to know that their are good players available late in the recruiting process.
That said - who we recruit we keep - very few of JAM recruited players leave.
As far balance in the roster - for now and in the future - I feel as comfortable as I ever have in the team that JAM has now.
Polito

Post by Polito »

I still can't stand the last minute stuff, irks me to no end, and I find it completely unnecessary - adds nothing but stress to an already challenging process.

But there is no doubt whatsoever this staff can bring in high end talent, proven that since day 1. Not only that, these are really really good kids. Excellent reps for HU, the fans, alum, and community.

Very very easy to root for JM teams, I must say.
garyg

Post by garyg »

HUSID74 wrote:

Based on what you have seen of Hughes what are your impressions so far ??
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

Couple of comments on some of the above posts:

1. Schutte is just a redshirt freshman; when he was brought in I don't think anyone expected him to be a big contributor his first couple of years but I would think this coaching staff is working with him to eventually be able to contribute his junior and senior year. Is it possible he doesn't develop further and becomes another Andre Walker; definitely. But it is also possible he develops and can be a solid backup for us.

2. I agree that I hate all the late commits but I think it also has to do with the coaching staff going after transfers. Most of those aren't going to sign until late. If you look at our current 13 scholarship players; 4 were early signers, 5 were transfers and 4 were late signers. So essentially 1/3rd of each. if Taylor does have another year of eligibility left then we would have 3 scholarships available for this recruiting class with 1 already signed. I would expect the other 2 to be split between a transfer and a freshmen; essentially keeping with the 1/3rd of each.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

HofstraMathew wrote:Couple of comments on some of the above posts:

1. Schutte is just a redshirt freshman; when he was brought in I don't think anyone expected him to be a big contributor his first couple of years but I would think this coaching staff is working with him to eventually be able to contribute his junior and senior year. Is it possible he doesn't develop further and becomes another Andre Walker; definitely. But it is also possible he develops and can be a solid backup for us.

2. I agree that I hate all the late commits but I think it also has to do with the coaching staff going after transfers. Most of those aren't going to sign until late. If you look at our current 13 scholarship players; 4 were early signers, 5 were transfers and 4 were late signers. So essentially 1/3rd of each. if Taylor does have another year of eligibility left then we would have 3 scholarships available for this recruiting class with 1 already signed. I would expect the other 2 to be split between a transfer and a freshmen; essentially keeping with the 1/3rd of each.
Is this the time of the season - that kids are announcing that they are transferring - so that they can still play in 2nd half of the next season (like Villanova/Delaware Painter)?
Polito

Post by Polito »

Forget if this is the time for visits, but if so, I really hope we had some 'cruits on hand for this one!

By the way, thinking the ATL guys are one or more of Hunter McIntosh, Mekhail Bethea, or one FD noted earlier Isaac Martin... we'll see though. Whoever it is better be VERY good though, because CofC's guard pickup from the peach state is a stud (Brenden Tucker). Aggressive, talented, and beat out some bigs for him.

HU needs to match or exceed the Coug's to keep in the CAA hunt. Go get 'em Speedy!
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Keep an eye on this guy, 6-6 wing out of Philadelphia...offers from Hofstra, ODU, Mason and now VCU...staff really likes him.
http://www.philly.com/high-school-sport ... 81223.html