CAA Expansion

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HofstraPride1

Re: CAA Expansion

Post by HofstraPride1 »

triplec2195 wrote:Just don't know why we would want Quinnipiac in this league? They haven't been D-1 all that long and athletically what do they bring to the table? Their ice hockey team or their women's basketball program that went to the sweet 16. Just don't think they're a good fit here. Academically they're a good school but we're talking sports.
Would also be a great geographic fit having another team between Boston and NY.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HofstraPride1 wrote:
triplec2195 wrote:Just don't know why we would want Quinnipiac in this league? They haven't been D-1 all that long and athletically what do they bring to the table? Their ice hockey team or their women's basketball program that went to the sweet 16. Just don't think they're a good fit here. Academically they're a good school but we're talking sports.
Would also be a great geographic fit having another team between Boston and NY.
Then I think a better choice would be Fairfield. We have a long standing history of playing them in at least basketball.
Wags

Post by Wags »

If Quinnipiac joins, it's guaranteed that for at least their first four seasons in the CAA, announcers of the CAA's southern teams will call them Quinni-PI-ac instead of Quin-NI-piac. Could also be a long longer than that, since after more than two decades in the conference, I was still hearing HAWFS-tra last season.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Wags wrote:If Quinnipiac joins, it's guaranteed that for at least their first four seasons in the CAA, announcers of the CAA's southern teams will call them Quinni-PI-ac instead of Quin-NI-piac. Could also be a long longer than that, since after more than two decades in the conference, I was still hearing HAWFS-tra last season.
Very funny Wags! Quinnipiac will certainly be a tongue-twister!
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Looks like Campbell has be added to the CAA for all sports including football for 2023.

https://caasports.com/news/2022/8/2/foo ... -2023.aspx
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

If we had to add another south team not the worst addition as another private school at least. At 14 schools we should be positioned now to have north-south divisions starting in 2023/24 season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Not in love with adding these low level teams. Hopefully Hofstra moves on from this conference eventually. We need a more northern based league.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

Hofstra wrote:Not in love with adding these low level teams. Hopefully Hofstra moves on from this conference eventually. We need a more northern based league.
The North-South division format could alleviate some of those concerns. Unfortunately no good realistic options for a more northern league.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Agreed...we're kind of stuck, especially without football.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Bingo HUSID. In HU's infinite wisdom, they canned the sport that controls ALL of college athletics. The entire landscape is changing massively, and the only thing that's driving it is football.

Even at the CAA level, this Campbell move is motivated by FOOTBALL. Perhaps our med school will secure a membership elsewhere like the A10! LOL oh no wait, it's supposed to elevate the academics to Ivy! LOL oh no wait...

(PS I dig the med school, it was a good add to HU, just making some humor here because regardless of that HU has put themselves in a crappy position in the great conference realignment - they have literally zero clout, power, or collateral. Forced to just blow in the wind now.)

So, all know I can't stand the CAA expansion, but having accepted it as a reality, I will say this move doesn't bother me so much. Campbell is actually a decent fit for the CAA. They've had decent hoops recently, have football, good soccer and baseball, and hey, they have a great and unique mascot! And they are in a convenient location right outside of Raleigh - easy travel and good recruiting region for HU.

The CAA is becoming watered down and even more southern anyway, but that's the deal - this is the bed HU made for themselves. Go win championships and become attractive to others, the only way to break free.