Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Cards

Re: MBB recruits 2016

Post by Cards »

re: pemberton - wow, that was fast!
garyg

Post by garyg »

Hofstra is still very much involved with Pemberton but that is all I can say at this time...the report that he gave a verbal to W & M on 9/12 was not accurate
Cards

Post by Cards »

Thanks garyg - I'll keep my fingers crossed on Pemberton.
garyg

Post by garyg »

Pemberton is a very impressive prospect....would be a great "get" for the Pride...athletic, handles ball well, a guy who finishes at the rim but has a developing outside game as well....could potentially play 3 positions at Hofstra...3,2, and occasionally at the 1 if need be...
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Looking at Pemberton's twitter, he he responded to a bunch of "congratulations" tweets on the 11th and 12th. One person (former HU recruit Kahlil Dukes) tweeted out a congrats, and included Pemberton's original commitment tweet in that post. Pemberton's tweet has since been deleted, so there seems to be some evidence of his decommitment.
https://twitter.com/pemcruise25/with_replies
https://twitter.com/kahlildukes/status/ ... 1567114240

For those who aren't Twitter savvy, this basically means that Pemberton deleted his post about committing to W&M, which is good news for us and many other schools pursuing him.
Last edited by ProudofPride on Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
garyg

Post by garyg »

Word on the street is we are meeting with Pemberton real soon so at this point hopefully our chances of landing him are as good as anyone else...a couple places on internet said Pemberton gave verbal on 9/12 to W & M...I was told by reliable source those reports were not accurate...Pembo would be a great addition to Hofstra Pride basketball....
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Would be a great start to a VERY IMPORTANT class. Go get 'em Joe!
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Adam Finkelstein ‏@AdamFinkelstein
Elijah Pemberton has re-opened his recruitment per Cheshire Academy head coach Kevin Kehoe. William & Mary definitely still in the mix.
https://twitter.com/AdamFinkelstein/sta ... 6580707330
garyg

Post by garyg »

You heard it first from Garyg....LOL
Polito

Post by Polito »

This is a very juicy situation 8-)

First, kudos to Gary, heckuva scoop!

Second, it's very early and there are plenty of fish in the sea folks, don't get tied to certain players in *Sept* - this staff has shown a super eye for talent and landing the best they can - I believe they will do so again in this class

Third, I'm sorry but EP has no business committing to a program like W&M - despite some of the Tribe fans knocking HU on their board (which is hilarious by the way, they have no business knocking their toughest conf opponent that took them double OT and a miracle play to beat, but I digress), I am not trying to knock them - I have nothing against W&M, they are a tremendous education institution, just looking at the bball facts

This is a talented kid from NEW YORK with a sky high ceiling - he has offers from the top half of the CAA, top programs in other mids, plus the A10 and now K Sate - he has the potential to play at the next level one day with the right coaching/development/exposure - sorry but W&M has ZERO basketball history, very very little success, and lets not forget has N E V E R made an NCAA tourney... EVER. Not even their best team in the modern era could do it

People can laugh at HU and its bad attendance all they want BUT the facts are HU is one of the best mid athletic depts around - they have a decent basketball history, HAVE made the dance and other postseasons, and when they are good, they DO experience the advantage of the NY media - just look at ESPN highlighting HU AGAIN this yr (not anyone else in the CAA), and this just like last yr is based purely on potential! That's the advantage of being solid in NY compared to other markets

And there is also the little fact of HU having a PROVEN track record of CONSISTENTLY putting talented guards in the pro ranks whether NBA or overseas

I have no clue where he ends up, but my selling pt for HU is simple: EP, you can be the next Charles Jenkins...except BETTER - he has a very similar build, similar game, EXCEPT he's a lot more athletic and is fierce at the rim - I believe he has that kind of potential - and CJ came from nowhere, developed into an NBA draft pick who got MAJOR attention at HU

That my friend, can be you.
Polito

Post by Polito »

So W&M picked up an alternative commit a day after EP pulls back, solid guy out of IL, 6'6 prob a combo SG/WF - had more ivy/ivy type offers so much more aligned with the Tribe IMO than EP

They have a few spots in this class like HU, but have to feel this is a positive sign for HU's recruitment - lets get this DONE, and notch one more for the good guys 8-)
garyg

Post by garyg »

Verbals are popping up all over the place including mid majors....we need to get on the board
Polito

Post by Polito »

what's the story here with EP? Has HU met with him or what?

I trust the staff to bring in the right guys, but I agree, it would be very nice to see HU on the board for a freshman recruit - considering he de-committed and W&M took another shooting type guy right after, I would expect HU to be all over this and lock him in asap - to my knowledge he was also very interested in HU, so would like to see this wrapped up.

Any others heavy in the mix?? would love to know where we stand on other key guys as well... what are the little birdies telling you gary?? :P
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Given our coaching staff's history with transfer students, I wouldn't be surprised if we recruited only two or three high school players this year.
garyg

Post by garyg »

We have met with EP and that is all I know...this past weekend JAM was down in Florida looking at a JC player or two....
Cards

Post by Cards »

Agree completely jojo - and per Garys post, confirms JAM is not wedded to all high schoolers.
Polito

Post by Polito »

FL Jucos huh? Know if it was for '16 or a later class?

Lot of commits happening, but I trust this staff - I really do - they will not bring in guys just to fill a 'ship - they will fight for the best/right players - may take more time than we like, including me lol, but I much prefer that plan
garyg

Post by garyg »

As far as the JC recruiting probably both
garyg

Post by garyg »

As everyone on this board knows coach is limited to what he can say about recruits until they have signed their LOI's...that being said I asked him if there was any encouraging news on the recruiting front?? His reply, "I really like the kids we are involved with...making progress".
dutchalum01

Post by dutchalum01 »

Awesome! Thanks for the update Gary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk