Justin Wright-Foreman's Legacy

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HUSID74

Re: Justin Wright-Foreman's Legacy

Post by HUSID74 »

Flying Dutchmen wrote:
Polito wrote:We need to stop sugarcoating everything and start to own the bullshit that we see. Do I want anyone fired? Absolutely not. Unfortunately I think it’s becoming increasingly clear that this is the best that we’re going to get. Give Cohen the talent that we have and this guys dancing nearly every year. Hell he already is almost dancing nearly every year.
Well let’s start by not sugarcoating how good our talent is. It’s been JWF and everyone else. Frankly I think our talent is mediocre. I love Pemberton but the dude can’t shoot. Taylor was great, but limited. Buie is not a great offensive player either.

We have no depth either, yeah Joe chokes the bench and I hate him for that, but its not like the bottom 5-7 players on the roster are great. Coen sucks, he’d probably coach us to 4th place this year. People think he’s the superior coach, I think hes the superior recruiter, and I’m right. He’s still at Northeastern because hes a mediocre coach.

This is why as pissed as I am that we lost, I do think we got a good run out of our talent.

JWF can’t be the hero if he scores 29 in the CAA Fianl and we’re not even close. Dude had 71 the last two games, he carried us this year as much as Speedy or Jenkins ever did.
Everyone seems to forget that we were picked THIRD in the pre-season for a reason. So by all standards of evaluation this team OVERACHIEVED this year, by winning the regular season outright, POTY, Defenseive Player of the Year etc....Northeastern was the better team in the second half of the season once they got their injured players back...overall OUTSTANDING season for Hofstra and hopefully we can do some damage in the NIT
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Flying Dutchmen wrote: As for JWF's draft stock, I don't think it drops with this loss. I was talking about it with "Hofstra" last night, back in 2000, our run to the NCAAT really helped Speedy get into the first round of the draft. This year, every one of our games were either on TV or on a video stream, there's so much more exposure now. No doubt a NCAA Tournament game could have been a huge boost though.
The games being streamed online is true for most teams now, not just us. I don't think it helps JWF over anybody else.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

EvanJ wrote:
Flying Dutchmen wrote: As for JWF's draft stock, I don't think it drops with this loss. I was talking about it with "Hofstra" last night, back in 2000, our run to the NCAAT really helped Speedy get into the first round of the draft. This year, every one of our games were either on TV or on a video stream, there's so much more exposure now. No doubt a NCAA Tournament game could have been a huge boost though.
The games being streamed online is true for most teams now, not just us. I don't think it helps JWF over anybody else.
Evan, that's not the point. I think he means that people can watch schools like Hofstra play all the time now vs. the past when a JWF would not have nearly the exposure he and the program get now.
Wags

Post by Wags »

HUSID74 wrote:
Flying Dutchmen wrote:
Polito wrote:We need to stop sugarcoating everything and start to own the bullshit that we see. Do I want anyone fired? Absolutely not. Unfortunately I think it’s becoming increasingly clear that this is the best that we’re going to get. Give Cohen the talent that we have and this guys dancing nearly every year. Hell he already is almost dancing nearly every year.
Well let’s start by not sugarcoating how good our talent is. It’s been JWF and everyone else. Frankly I think our talent is mediocre. I love Pemberton but the dude can’t shoot. Taylor was great, but limited. Buie is not a great offensive player either.

We have no depth either, yeah Joe chokes the bench and I hate him for that, but its not like the bottom 5-7 players on the roster are great. Coen sucks, he’d probably coach us to 4th place this year. People think he’s the superior coach, I think hes the superior recruiter, and I’m right. He’s still at Northeastern because hes a mediocre coach.

This is why as pissed as I am that we lost, I do think we got a good run out of our talent.

JWF can’t be the hero if he scores 29 in the CAA Fianl and we’re not even close. Dude had 71 the last two games, he carried us this year as much as Speedy or Jenkins ever did.
Everyone seems to forget that we were picked THIRD in the pre-season for a reason. So by all standards of evaluation this team OVERACHIEVED this year, by winning the regular season outright, POTY, Defenseive Player of the Year etc....Northeastern was the better team in the second half of the season once they got their injured players back...overall OUTSTANDING season for Hofstra and hopefully we can do some damage in the NIT
I don't put too much stock in the preseason polls when determining whether a team overachieved or underachieved. We've seen a team picked as low as 6th win a CAA title before, so preseason polls can be off. What happened with this team was that they overachieved so much by starting 9-0 in the CAA and going on the 16-game winning streak, it completely shifted expectations. No one ever expected that kind of streak nor to lead the CAA wire to wire. So when those things happened, now all of a sudden, we're no longer satisfied with being good and being in the mix as a legit contender. Then it became, NCAAT or bust. That IS always the goal, but sometimes it's not realistic. The streak made it very realistic and raised expectations beyond what they were before the season. In a way, the fan reaction to HU coming close, but not getting it done at the very end is a measure of HU being a victim of its own unexpected level of success earlier in the year. It's actually good problem to have in terms of seeing that your program is on the right track - but it's also disappointing at the very end. They just have to figure out next year and in successive year how take that last step.
Polito

Post by Polito »

We have GOT to stop with the preseason stuff. Seriously. That is absolutely MEANINGLESS now. The expectations change when reality hits. HU owened this conf all year, were the clear #1 seed, and were fully and rightly expected to win it all and go dancing.

They did not. And they did not 'overachieve' - that's so weak to say. That's what losers say, pulling out crap from last October for goodness sake. They failed to finish. Admit it and own it. And let's get some things corrected and make sure the job is completed next time.

Again, we can get real and still love and support them. This is one of those moments.

NU beat them and earned their trip to the NCAAT. They likely became the most talented team in the end, no shame in that specifically, BUT that in no way shape or form exonerates HU from fulfilling their earned in-season exceptions.

The job still hasn't been done, and the goal still hasn't been achieved. That is not an 'outstanding' season. This was a great season - slight difference to me. This isn't 1995 when 'almost' was cool, and making the NIT meant the world. HU has expectations now, in large part to the STAFF for resetting this program. <<--make sure you see that HUSID.

Not changing that just because they failed to finish. No participation trophies here - D1. You win or you lose. That's sports. There is MUCH work to be done.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Boy you change your tune quickly, a day ago you posted this "Nope. Has plenty to do with foreman, you guys may not want to hear it or admit it, but this was a total choke job as usual under JM and HUs star. All when it matters most.

This program is such a hard luck case it’s so freaking embarrassing. We may never see another damn dance in our lifetime.

We need to stop sugarcoating everything and start to own the bullshit that we see. Do I want anyone fired? Absolutely not. Unfortunately I think it’s becoming increasingly clear that this is the best that we’re going to get. Give Cohen the talent that we have and this guys dancing nearly every year. Hell he already is almost dancing nearly every year."

Come on where do you really stand????? What did you have to say about Coen blowing a 17 point lead in the Championships last year and losing? Choke job by the genius coach?????

This is college basketball and these are kids playing it...they have bad days and good, good games and bad...they are all human including the coaches. I choose to take the long view regarding our program. Sure I'm disappointed that we lost...more disappointed than most given my history...I was down there in Charleston for ALL the games and bled BLUE for this team...I still have no voice left.

Fact is several of our players did not play up to their capabilities...and I don't need to go into who they are...we can all read the box scores...some kids rise to the occasion some do not...going forward that will need to be taken into account for next year, but it was ONE GAME.

When I look back on this season I will remember what a great ride it all was...the streak, winning the conference outright, our awards, making the finals...making the winter tolerable and rooting for great kids and great coaches...a program to be PROUD OF....that's what I'll take away from this year.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

This thread has gotten WAY off track.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

HUSID74 wrote:
EvanJ wrote:
Evan, that's not the point. I think he means that people can watch schools like Hofstra play all the time now vs. the past when a JWF would not have nearly the exposure he and the program get now.
After televised games and online streams from the top conferences, how much time is spent scouting mid-major games online? I'm not saying Green was as good as JWF, but occasionally we were on national TV on NBC Sports Network. NBA scouts around the country who didn't get SNY or Comcast regional sports networks and didn't search for mid-major games online could see him. This season we weren't on national TV until the CAA Semifinals, and JWF was on TV less than the other best mid-major players. I'm happy that all CAA games are online for free for fans, but I doubt it helps CAA players get noticed. If you take the last ten seasons, I wouldn't be surprised if JWF had the best regular season by a player who was not on national TV until his conference tournament.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Sadly, a final update:

[1] 2,513 (186 behind) Charles Jenkins (2007-11)
[2] 2,327 Justin Wright-Foreman (2015-19)
-------------------------------------------------------------
[3] 2,276 (51 ahead) Antoine Agudio (2004-08)
[4] 2,222 (105 ahead) Steve Nisenson (1962-65)
[5] 2,148 (179 ahead) Loren Stokes (2003-07)
[6] 2,102 (225 ahead) Rich Laurel (1973-77)
[7] 2,045 (282 ahead) Bill Theiben (1953-56)
[8] 2,105 (322 ahead) Speedy Claxton (1996-2000)
[9] down are 1,818 and fewer points

Considering all but 44 of JWF's points came over his last three years, and Jenkins had 436 as a freshman, JWF goes down as the best Hofstra scorer ever, IMO. And that comes from someone who always thought Jenkins was the best Hofstra player and scorer.

Incredible career. Tough to think we won't see him again in a Hofstra uniform. Sad night in that regard. Would've been great to see him play this Thu or Fri. He deserved that stage. But it likely would've ended the same way as tonight - he'd have been great (as usual), he wouldn't get quite enough help, Hofstra would be competitive, but fall short in the end. Still, it would've been fun for at least one game. Hope HU can find the next great scorer in a long line of them during the CAA years. Need someone for JWF to pass the torch to soon, the way Jenkins passed it to him, the way Agudio passed it to Jenkins, Stokes to Agudio, and Speedy to Stokes.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Couple other notes on JWF and Jenkins.

JWF outscored Jenkins by 206 (2,283-2,207) over their final three years.

Jenkins' highest point total in a season was 746, as a senior. JWF surpassed that in each of his final two years, with 755 last year and 948 this year.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

What a stud. Will really be missed. JWF will always be one of my favorite players to ever play for our school. I wish him the best, and hope to see him in the league.
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

Agreed - a true ambassador for the university. Couldn’t be happier to have him rep Hofstra. Will go down as one of the greats. Too bad he didn’t get enough help in the big games this year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

I am looking forward to watching Justin at the next level. Hope he comes to the Knicks...they could use a local hero.

I have to rank him in the top three at Hofstra all time and right next to Jenkins in terms of class and the dignity he represented the program and Hofstra.

Yes Justin will be missed but my sense is that he will remain close to the program for a long time to come.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Wags wrote:
HUSID74 wrote:Everyone seems to forget that we were picked THIRD in the pre-season for a reason. So by all standards of evaluation this team OVERACHIEVED this year, by winning the regular season outright, POTY, Defenseive Player of the Year etc....Northeastern was the better team in the second half of the season once they got their injured players back...overall OUTSTANDING season for Hofstra and hopefully we can do some damage in the NIT
I don't put too much stock in the preseason polls when determining whether a team overachieved or underachieved. We've seen a team picked as low as 6th win a CAA title before, so preseason polls can be off. What happened with this team was that they overachieved so much by starting 9-0 in the CAA and going on the 16-game winning streak, it completely shifted expectations. No one ever expected that kind of streak nor to lead the CAA wire to wire. So when those things happened, now all of a sudden, we're no longer satisfied with being good and being in the mix as a legit contender. Then it became, NCAAT or bust. That IS always the goal, but sometimes it's not realistic. The streak made it very realistic and raised expectations beyond what they were before the season. In a way, the fan reaction to HU coming close, but not getting it done at the very end is a measure of HU being a victim of its own unexpected level of success earlier in the year. It's actually good problem to have in terms of seeing that your program is on the right track - but it's also disappointing at the very end. They just have to figure out next year and in successive year how take that last step.
Preseason predictions also didn't include much about Jacquil Taylor who came in averaging 1 and 1, and ended up being their 2nd best player this year.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Hofstra wrote:What a stud. Will really be missed. JWF will always be one of my favorite players to ever play for our school. I wish him the best, and hope to see him in the league.
agreed 100%. he's the best scorer the school has ever seen and probably will for a long time, if ever. more points in his last 3 years than anyone in their entire hofstra career, save jenkins. definitely bummed for him never getting to play in the NCAA tournament. the team this year peaked too early and never got back to the level of team ball they displayed during the streak.
Wags

Post by Wags »

cactus wrote:
Hofstra wrote: the team this year peaked too early and never got back to the level of team ball they displayed during the streak.
I asked Joe after double OT home win over Towson (before the Senior Day OT loss to JMU) if he was worried the team might've peaked too soon. He gave the standard answer any coach would give in that situation ("Hope our best ball is ahead of us," etc.), but looking back now, it's what I feared back then. They seemed to have peaked too soon. Shame. Was a great year for the team and an amazing season and career for JWF. But for mids like Hofstra, the whole season, even a great season, can come down to just one game, or even one bad stretch in a game (like that one when Pusica went to the bench with two fouls in the first half in SC and they got outscored 25-10). That's just the cruelty of March, sometimes.
Polito

Post by Polito »

That's what happens when you play 6. Not rocket science, yet we continue to pretend like it isn't a factor. It is. HU falters at the end every year. And nearly EVERY pundit called it, or at a minimum questioned their ability to finish. And they were 100% right. Only a few fans and the staff continue to think it's not the factor and it will be overcome etc. etc. I was one of them this year - bought in, and got burned again - foolish on my part. But hey JWF gave real reason for tangible hope! Was the only reason I even believed quite frankly. For that alone, I'm a proud JWF fan for life. 8-)

Obviously no question JWF is one of the top 3 HU players ever in the history of the program, prob 1A and 1B with him and Jenkins in terms of scoring.

But didn't dance and then couldn't lead an NIT win (not saying that's all his fault at all, just what happened), so unfortunately that will be a part of it. Just like Jenkins. And every other great HU guard.

But individually, he and Jenkins are the best scorers/shooters I've ever seen in person at HU. And should certainly be remembered as such - JWF earned his spot in HU lore, thrilled and honored to have been around to witness.

And he's a tremendous kid, that no one can argue. Bleeds this school, just have to love the young man - amazing rep of HU.

Go get em in the NBA young bull!!! ROLL PRIDE, and ROLL JWF!!!
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

ESPN doesn't think he will be drafted. There are 60 picks, and they have him 64th. Of the 63 players above him, 43 are from the top seven conferences, 8 are from mid-majors, and 12 are not from college. Of the Top 100, 65 are from the top seven conferences, 15 are from mid-majors, and 20 are not from college. Furthermore, some players near and below him have games left. There's no statistics a mid-major player who hasn't been to the NCAA Tournament can have to get an automatic bid to being drafted.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Received this comment on a recent Hofstra article I wrote, so in line with the request that's stated in the comment, I'm just forwarding this along in case anyone wants to visit the site listed below, vote for JWF and spread the word:

With regard to Justin Wright-Foreman, I’m not sure if you’re aware of one of his many awards that is not highly publicized. He is a finalist for the CLASS award which is the epitome and definition of what a student athlete is and should be. CLASS is Celebrating Loyalty and Achievement for Staying in School. It focuses on the senior class of accomplishments for academic excellence, community service and of course basketball excellence for Division 1 student athletes. He’s a top ten finalist competing with the likes of Luke Maye from The University of North Carolina and Reid Travis From Kentucky just to name a couple. For more information , you can go to seniorclassaward.com where you can cast your vote. Can you assist in making this public and help support our local hero. I’m hoping you will join me and vote for him for such a meritorious award. Thank you

UPDATE:
Apparently, today (3/25) is the last day to vote.
http://www.seniorclassaward.com/news/vi ... ior_class/

Looks like he's not doing so well with the voting, but still an honor to be a finalist.
http://www.seniorclassaward.com/vote/me ... l_2018-19/