NCAA 2024 MBB Transfer Portal

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
daHUPride

Re: NCAA 2024 MBB Transfer Portal

Post by daHUPride »

triplec2195 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:10 pm Our next POTY possibly with some Speedy fine tuning. Nice get.
Sanders could be a really big player in the CAA - the pedigree is there and another NYer.

First - kudos to Speedy and staff - they were so patient through the process - certainly more patient than us (me for sure) - they did some big work and reestablished a roster.

Obviously, we are more than some past years back to "In Guards We Trust".

Welcome to Hofsta - Sanders/Davis/Gadsen/Aranguren/Graham/Lopez - job well done Speedy (and Staff) - I am impressed.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

daHUPride wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 6:17 am
triplec2195 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:10 pm Our next POTY possibly with some Speedy fine tuning. Nice get.
Sanders could be a really big player in the CAA - the pedigree is there and another NYer.

First - kudos to Speedy and staff - they were so patient through the process - certainly more patient than us (me for sure) - they did some big work and reestablished a roster.

Welcome to Hofsta - Sanders/Davis/Gadsen/Aranguren/Graham/Lopez - job well done Speedy (and Staff) - I am impressed.
It again will be the problem of can we rebound with one big on the floor that's if we don't go with 5 guards at times.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

triplec2195 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 6:37 am

It again will be the problem of can we rebound with one big on the floor that's if we don't go with 5 guards at times.
I hear ya - but it isnt much different than last year (23-24)

Fritz 6'10
Dubar 6'8" ...hmm
Plot 6'6"
Thomas 6'3"
Carlos 6'0"
______________average 6'5"

If we go (in 24-25)

Silas 7'0"
Gadsen 6'7"
Plot 6'6"
Sanders 6'4"
Davis 6'3"
______________average 6'6"

but it is desire - rebounding - height sure helps but you need a dog that wants "it"
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

daHUPride wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 7:23 am

Fritz 6'10
Dubar 6'8" ...hmm
Plot 6'6"
Thomas 6'3"
Carlos 6'0"

If we go (in 24-25)

Silas 7'0"
Gadsen 6'7"
Plot 6'6"
Sanders 6'4"
Davis 6'3"

but it is desire - rebounding - height sure helps but you need a dog that wants "it"
not sure what happened with odum. this is a great get though. however, they are very small. graham will likely be starting at C. actually my guess is they'll have a brand new all-transfer starting lineup next year of davis, aranguren, sanders, gadsden, and graham.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Graham will start so we'll go 6-8, 6-7 upfront. We play four shooters and one big anyway so we are fine. Trading 6-3, 6-4 guys for under 6 feet and 6-2.
Congrats to Speedy on the recruiting.
bean-pie

Post by bean-pie »

Silas made BIG strides at the end of the year. Kid is RAW, but with this offseason, he’ll be more seasoned and does have talent, just needs to learn to finish at the hoop. I honestly think he’s going to have a big improvement in year 2. Excited to see this team on the floor. I keep hearing how small we are, yet we are in effect actually bigger. I’ll also take a 6’8 dog over an undersized thin big guy who fouls too often. If you put Silas and Graham up front I think we’re good. Looking back at some of our best big guys - Gustys was 6’9 and that dude was a DOG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

So we exchanged Jaquan Carlos for Jaquan Sanders. :)

Another NYC player.

I like getting transfers from higher-rated programs.

From Sanders' SHU bio:

BEFORE SETON HALL: The Far Rockaway, N.Y. native averaged 19.0 points, 4.0 rebounds, 7.0 assists and 2.0 steals per game while shooting 44 percent from three-point range as a junior at Our Saviour Lutheran. Sanders is rated as a four-star prospect by ESPN and he plays on the EYBL circuit for New Heights Lightning.

https://shupirates.com/sports/mens-bask ... nders/6908

Over the years, we have done well recruiting players from greater Long Island (Brooklyn and Queens). Their families and friends can easily come to see them play.

Before Sanders landed at Seton Hall, we were in his top five (Seton Hall, St. Bonaventure, Hofstra, Temple and Butler). He originally committed to Mike Anderson at St. John's (remember him?), but decommitted from SJU before heading to SHU. His mother wanted him to go away to school after a friend was killed in their apartment building:

https://nypost.com/2021/11/05/ex-st-joh ... eton-hall/

High school mixtape:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVXw8N2s8aQ
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I saw that article about Sanders and how they reference Far Rockaway as a dangerous place to live. I'm thinking we have a sleeping potential POY here. Anyone remember a kid named Zeke Upshaw and how he went from Rags to Riches.

Cactus quote; not sure what happened with odum. this is a great get though. however, they are very small. graham will likely be starting at C. actually my guess is they'll have a brand new all-transfer starting lineup next year of davis, aranguren, sanders, gadsden, and graham.

I'm thinking this is correct that we may once again have Plotnikoff come off the bench and we will have an entirely different starting five. I wonder when that ever happened before??
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

bean-pie wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 10:35 am Silas made BIG strides at the end of the year. Kid is RAW, but with this offseason, he’ll be more seasoned and does have talent, just needs to learn to finish at the hoop. I honestly think he’s going to have a big improvement in year 2. Excited to see this team on the floor. I keep hearing how small we are, yet we are in effect actually bigger. I’ll also take a 6’8 dog over an undersized thin big guy who fouls too often. If you put Silas and Graham up front I think we’re good. Looking back at some of our best big guys - Gustys was 6’9 and that dude was a DOG.

I am with you - think Silas is going to be the starter - other than Graham being more athletic and giving us a faster sleeker starting 5 - but I hope with teams playing man to man on us and for scorers on our perimeter that Silas owns the paint - make him a beast!!!
dutchPride86

Post by dutchPride86 »

In agreement feels like the 3 locks to start from the transfers would be Cruz Davis, Jaquan Sanders, and Gadsden, with one of Sunday/Graham obviously at the 5.

So the real positional/philosophical battle then may come down to Aranguren at 6'3 190lbs vs German at 6'6 197lbs for the final starter. Aranguren actually averaged over 1.5 more rebounds/g in almost 10 less min/g than German last season fwiw. Also think question there could be determined by if we expect either freshman "big" to play next season. It so, there's your sub for Gadsden and maybe German starts to give us 3 guys at 6'6+. If not, then German may be only other player who could approximate Gadsdens size and then make more sense coming off the bench with Aranguren starting
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Fritz 6'10
Dubar 6'8" ...hmm
Plot 6'6"
Thomas 6'3"
Carlos 6'0"

However the goal was to improve from last year where we averaged 29.5 RPG and were ranked 327th in the country out of 362 teams.
If we go (in 24-25)

Silas 7'0"
Gadsen 6'7"
Plot 6'6"
Sanders 6'4"
Davis 6'3"

triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

triplec2195 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 6:18 pm

Fritz 6'10
Dubar 6'8" ...hmm
Plot 6'6"
Thomas 6'3"
Carlos 6'0"

Silas 7'0"
Gadsen 6'7"
Plot 6'6"
Sanders 6'4"
Davis 6'3"

However the goal was to improve from last year where we averaged 29.5 RPG and were ranked 327th in the country out of 362 teams.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

More info about Jaquan Sanders. As far as I know, he's the first Mr. Basketball from any state to play for us.

https://www.rockawave.com/articles/mr-n ... -his-mind/

Recent Mr. New York Basketball award winners:

Branden Gardner
Christ The King HS
Playing at USC

Jaquan Sanders
Our Savior Lutheran School
SHU/Hofstra

Jordan Riley
Brentwood HS
Georgetown/Temple

R.J. Davis
Archbishop Stepinac HS
UNC All-American

Joseph Girard III
Glens Falls HS (New York State's all-time HS scoring leader)
Syracuse/Clemson

Savion Lewis
Half Hollow Hills East HS
Quinnipiac

https://www.bcany.org/_files/ugd/b7ad0b ... 86e36d.pdf
thepride23

Post by thepride23 »

dutchPride86 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 3:27 pm In agreement feels like the 3 locks to start from the transfers would be Cruz Davis, Jaquan Sanders, and Gadsden, with one of Sunday/Graham obviously at the 5.

So the real positional/philosophical battle then may come down to Aranguren at 6'3 190lbs vs German at 6'6 197lbs for the final starter. Aranguren actually averaged over 1.5 more rebounds/g in almost 10 less min/g than German last season fwiw. Also think question there could be determined by if we expect either freshman "big" to play next season. It so, there's your sub for Gadsden and maybe German starts to give us 3 guys at 6'6+. If not, then German may be only other player who could approximate Gadsdens size and then make more sense coming off the bench with Aranguren starting
German played with so much heart last year, I hope he finds a firm hold on a starting spot. Watching him at UBS against SJ, he really became a name for this team. Silas showed improvement throughout the season and Jacco really took him under his wing. Hope he is working on his footing this offseason, he is a big big man with a lot of promise!
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

I know LA Pratt was discussed a little here - committed to Northeastern

dutchPride86

Post by dutchPride86 »

Pride97 wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 2:48 pm I know LA Pratt was discussed a little here - committed to Northeastern

Speaking of Northeastern, they also just added another player with a bit of a hofstra connection... Jacco Fritz's younger brother Youri, who also started his career at Canisius
thepride23

Post by thepride23 »

dutchPride86 wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 3:07 pm
Pride97 wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 2:48 pm I know LA Pratt was discussed a little here - committed to Northeastern

Speaking of Northeastern, they also just added another player with a bit of a hofstra connection... Jacco Fritz's younger brother Youri, who also started his career at Canisius
dutchPride86

Post by dutchPride86 »

Saw that Amar'e Marshall wound up going back to Albany in the end. Pretty surprising that neither we nor any other team at a higher level was interested in him after the numbers he put up last season. Can't imagine Albany suddenly came up with some sort of NIL package to keep him, wonder what it is about his game that hasn't connected?
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Maybe he was looking for too much NIL money and priced himself out of the market!
dutchPride86

Post by dutchPride86 »

For those keeping score, Moe Odum wound up staying in the WCC and committed to Pepperdine over the weekend. He would have been a nice get for us, but very happy we were able to land Jaquan Sanders with that last spot instead.