Pride97

Re: NCAA 2024 MBB Transfer Portal

Post by Pride97 »

Does this end the CoC to A10 rumors?
dutchalum01

Post by dutchalum01 »

Wags wrote:
dutchalum01 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:44 pm I honestly think in this state of College MB, Speedy can thrive as a recruiter and a coach. Charleston imploding is a spark for us. Don’t be surprised if JC or DD exit the portal back to Hofstra.
Would love it but I doubt it. That would suggest they both left because they thought they couldn't get past Charleston and get to the NCAA tourney. I think they see what Estrada did and they want to likewise get paid and not only make the dance, but win games in it. Whether they end up in a similar situation and are able to help their teams do that (especially Carlos) remains to be seen, but that's what I think they are thinking rather than, "Oh, the CAA is open with Charleston not what it once was, let's go back." I don't think they're thinking that at all.
I’m thinking they don’t land at a top flight school like they hope and they see what now could be more opportunity in the CAA. I could be wrong, but I’ve now witnessed multiple instances of players entering the portal and then withdrawing, and in football, transferring and then transferring back three months later. This whole portal non-sense is Pandora’s box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wags

Post by Wags »

Pride97 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:22 pm Does this end the CoC to A10 rumors?
I was wondering about that. It would seem so, because if you're the A10, do you want to bring them in without the continuity of what they had already built? It's almost like bringing in a whole different program. Although, if they continue to win with a new head coach and new players, it could still be on the table, especially if Charleston pushes for it.
Wags

Post by Wags »

dutchalum01 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:39 pm
Wags wrote:
dutchalum01 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:44 pm I honestly think in this state of College MB, Speedy can thrive as a recruiter and a coach. Charleston imploding is a spark for us. Don’t be surprised if JC or DD exit the portal back to Hofstra.
Would love it but I doubt it. That would suggest they both left because they thought they couldn't get past Charleston and get to the NCAA tourney. I think they see what Estrada did and they want to likewise get paid and not only make the dance, but win games in it. Whether they end up in a similar situation and are able to help their teams do that (especially Carlos) remains to be seen, but that's what I think they are thinking rather than, "Oh, the CAA is open with Charleston not what it once was, let's go back." I don't think they're thinking that at all.
I’m thinking they don’t land at a top flight school like they hope and they see what now could be more opportunity in the CAA. I could be wrong, but I’ve now witnessed multiple instances of players entering the portal and then withdrawing, and in football, transferring and then transferring back three months later. This whole portal non-sense is Pandora’s box.
That's a lot more likely with Carlos than Dubar. I think Dubar will end up somewhere along the lines of what we've already heard (like Arkansas or similar). But unless they both return and/or unless Hofstra brings in other good transfers, I don't know what would bring Carlos back either. He could probably get more NIL money somewhere even if it's not his ideal choice, and with Thomas gone, and if Dubar is gone, and if they can't get some real impact transfers for him to play with, there's really no reason for him to come back. It's possible, but a lot still has to happen for either one or both to withdraw from the portal and return to Hofstra.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

1089 transfers in the portal and growing as we speak. This number from V/C. I don't know how accurate that number is but this number will explode I would imagine once the tournaments end. So we need 6 players and with these numbers it would seem like this would be easy for us to fill but in reality with everyone shopping will it be?? Also will we have any more defectors?
Wags

Post by Wags »

triplec2195 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:51 am 1089 transfers in the portal and growing as we speak. This number from V/C. I don't know how accurate that number is but this number will explode I would imagine once the tournaments end. So we need 6 players and with these numbers it would seem like this would be easy for us to fill but in reality with everyone shopping will it be?? Also will we have any more defectors?
At this point (with the CBI and CIT done, the NIT down to the semifinals, and the NCAAT down to the Sweet 16 and down to the Final Four by Sunday), there aren't that many teams left still playing in tournaments and usually, the vast majority of transfers are in March and then decline a lot after that, so we've likely already seen the majority of who will enter the portal for this year, although there will still be some in much smaller numbers through about August (usually how it works).

Although it seems like a lot because of some of the big impact to teams and a league we know well with HU and the CAA, it's really been a significant down year for the portal.

As of two days ago, I saw it was over 900. Even if the 1,089 or something closer to that is accurate as of today, this year pales in comparison to the last three years:

2012: 1,687
2022: 1,649
2023: 1,815
dutchPride86

Post by dutchPride86 »

H/T to the sidelines twitter account for catching this... seems like Speedy has Cruz Davis in for a visit, could be an interesting potential pickup. 6'3 former 3-star guard, made the MAAC all-rookie team for Iona in 22-23 averaging little over 6 ppg. Pitino brought him with him to St John's but he got injured, only played 4 games this yr and redshirted. Should have 3 yrs eligibility left
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

With Carlos in the portal, Speedy can tell Davis that he will be the starting PG. And if Carlos should stay, he can back Davis up.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Jojogunne wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:04 pm With Carlos in the portal, Speedy can tell Davis that he will be the starting PG. And if Carlos should stay, he can back Davis up.
I thought Carlos was primed for a breakout senior year like Buie (Desure, not Taran). Davis hasn't really proven anything yet (but would be a welcome addition)
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

walk-on Aiden Best has entered the portal.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

I guess he's looking for a scholarship somewhere?
Mark19th

Post by Mark19th »

Syracuse interested in JC? In my opinion, he’d be overmatched in the ACC by bigger, stronger faster guards.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

cactus wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:01 pm walk-on Aiden Best has entered the portal.
After seeing him play believe he could play somewhere if not D1 then D2.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Mark19th wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:29 pm Syracuse interested in JC? In my opinion, he’d be overmatched in the ACC by bigger, stronger faster guards.

Yeah I agree with this and in the CAA he seemed to be a perfect fit. I hope he had the decency to talk to Speedy before he entered the portal.
dutchalum01

Post by dutchalum01 »

Mark19th wrote:Syracuse interested in JC? In my opinion, he’d be overmatched in the ACC by bigger, stronger faster guards.

100% agree. I don’t think JC is quick enough to play “up”, however, only one way to find out.

triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

1148 and counting!!
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

I want to see some signings this weekend...Come on Speedy1
dutchPride86

Post by dutchPride86 »

dutchalum01 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:29 pm
Mark19th wrote:Syracuse interested in JC? In my opinion, he’d be overmatched in the ACC by bigger, stronger faster guards.

100% agree. I don’t think JC is quick enough to play “up”, however, only one way to find out.

I'd tend to agree with you guys, but there's clearly a lot of high major interest in him. Look at this list of schools...

Cal
Iowa
Syracuse
Georgia Tech
Texas Tech
Colorado
LMU
Temple
Boston College
Washington
VCU
Virginia Tech
Rhode Island
DePaul

https://twitter.com/ThePortalReport/sta ... APnNQ&s=19
dutchPride86

Post by dutchPride86 »

Wags wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:09 pm
I was wondering about that. It would seem so, because if you're the A10, do you want to bring them in without the continuity of what they had already built? It's almost like bringing in a whole different program. Although, if they continue to win with a new head coach and new players, it could still be on the table, especially if Charleston pushes for it.
Charleston is hiring Chris Mack. There is no way he's taking that job to coach in the CAA. They can't leave for a10 soon enough. Yes it will further kill this awful conference, but Charleston clearly operating on a different financial playing field than everyone else in the league
Wags

Post by Wags »

dutchPride86 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:07 am
Wags wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:09 pm
Charleston is hiring Chris Mack. There is no way he's taking that job to coach in the CAA. They can't leave for a10 soon enough. Yes it will further kill this awful conference, but Charleston clearly operating on a different financial playing field than everyone else in the league
Probably but the A10 also has to want Charleston. We’ll see. If it does happen, it won’t be until at least 2025-26, I think. So at least initially and for however long, it’ll be Mack at The Mack when Charleston visits Hofstra.