Next Year's Team

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
triplec2195

Re: Next Year's Team

Post by triplec2195 »

I didn't know that Dubar was official but things normally have a way of working out but in these NIL times who really knows what will transpire now. Sounds like they will have to lean on Freshman and JUCO transfers. It certainly could be a rebuilding year and when was the last time this team was considered to be in a rebuild. After the Mo Cassara debacle.
Mikey77

Post by Mikey77 »

Took the words right out of my mouth. Hide your laptops. Good luck Speedo!
Wags

Post by Wags »

This was rare, but it does show it's possible to immediately reboot and be very successful with a whole new team, with the right transfer choices and the right coaching: Utah State, an 8 seed in this year's NCAAT after winning the regular season title in a very competitive MWC, returned only one player (who did not score a single point) from last year's roster. So, no matter who else HU may lose, let's see who they bring in and what they can turn that into, collectively.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Agree Wags it is possible but let's see who else we may lose in the portal.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

HUSID80 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:03 am Agree Wags it is possible but let's see who else we may lose in the portal.
only 5 remain, plus the two commits, 4 starters gone from a team that was not really that good last year, save a strong February:

KJ Robinson G
Farmer G
Parnell G
Plotnikov G/F
Amir Williams G/F
DeCady F
Sunday F
Cards

Post by Cards »

Tomasco also just hit the portal. Not really a loss, other than having a tall practice player.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Cards wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:28 am Tomasco also just hit the portal. Not really a loss, other than having a tall practice player.
And with that, no players remain from Speedy's first year as head coach.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Wags wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:48 am
Cards wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:28 am Tomasco also just hit the portal. Not really a loss, other than having a tall practice player.
And with that, no players remain from Speedy's first year as head coach.
and only plotnikov (farmer was a redshirt) remains from his second year, if i am not mistaken.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Spent a few minutes reviewing some of the Parnell JUCO videos. I know they are only vids, but I don't think its a stretch to think he could be a double digit scorer for us next season. He is quite athletic and has a nice jumpshot from deep and the midrange. Shot the three in JUCO at roughly 40%.
If he used his redshirt year to work hard, improve his skills (under Speedy's guidance), and adapt his game to D1 speed, I can see him being a big plus next season. If, if, if.........
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Cards wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:29 am Spent a few minutes reviewing some of the Parnell JUCO videos. I know they are only vids, but I don't think its a stretch to think he could be a double digit scorer for us next season. He is quite athletic and has a nice jumpshot from deep and the midrange. Shot the three in JUCO at roughly 40%.
If he used his redshirt year to work hard, improve his skills (under Speedy's guidance), and adapt his game to D1 speed, I can see him being a big plus next season. If, if, if.........
Agree with this Cards a very enthusiastic kid with a high motor and apparent skills and a kid who has a good vertical rise. We need to have something to pin our hopes on after this brutal purge.
ZMAN3

Post by ZMAN3 »

Remember just because a player enters the portal doesn't necessarily mean he's gone. Some find out that after testing the "waters" they decide to return (of course Coach needs to want them back) Akins and Hoggard returned to MSU after entering last year. Grass isn't always greener!
Wags

Post by Wags »

Mikey77 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:05 pm Took the words right out of my mouth. Hide your laptops. Good luck Speedo!
Mo's Dad passed away today.

https://twitter.com/COACH_MOCASSARA/sta ... 6782433670
Wags

Post by Wags »

ZMAN3 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:11 pm Remember just because a player enters the portal doesn't necessarily mean he's gone. Some find out that after testing the "waters" they decide to return (of course Coach needs to want them back) Akins and Hoggard returned to MSU after entering last year. Grass isn't always greener!
True, but this seems to be the case more for declaring for the draft. We've seen that with Hofstra players who did that and returned. That's a likely return. But I feel like its the opposite odds for players that enter the portal, that even if they don't go where they'd ideally like to, they end up somewhere else rather than returning. Makes perfect sense - few draft picks and a much higher level to achieve vs. the portal and many various options to go somewhere. Time will tell.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

The Rutgers big man returned to the school. Maybe he didn't like the $$$ Pitino was offering.
So it is possible to return to the flock.
ZMAN3

Post by ZMAN3 »

HUSID80 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:06 am The Rutgers big man returned to the school. Maybe he didn't like the $$$ Pitino was offering.
So it is possible to return to the flock.

"Maybe they made him an offer he couldn't refuse"
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

Eric Musselman, ex head coach of Arkansas, just was hired as Southern Cal's head coach. SC is now a Big 10 member. Wasn't Musselman Coach Speedy's coach in the NBA? To Coach Curtin (scheduling asst. coach), how about a California trip with a game with SC in LA plus some other possible opponent?
Mikey77

Post by Mikey77 »

Does Musselman's move to USC and Calipari's to Arkansas change Dubar's status at all? He seemed headed to Fayetteville. Just asking.
dutchalum01

Post by dutchalum01 »

Mikey77 wrote:Does Musselman's move to USC and Calipari's to Arkansas change Dubar's status at all? He seemed headed to Fayetteville. Just asking.
Absolutely. If I had to guess, D-Stone will be headed for USC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dutchPride86

Post by dutchPride86 »

Let's hope whatever the roster winds up looking like next season, it exceeds expectations more than this year's team did. Random proof - Hofstra apparently wound up as one of only 5 teams on KenPom to finish in the exact same spot he ranked them entering the season (113th)

https://twitter.com/kenpomeroy/status/1 ... PqqlA&s=19
Cards

Post by Cards »

Per verbal commits - Cruz Davis committed to HU!
PG or shooting guard?