Estrada @ Alabama

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Wags

Re: Estrada @ Alabama

Post by Wags »

triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

He's feeling blessed to be able to experience what only a handful of players have in college basketball. Keep winning Aaron. https://twitter.com/Aaron4PF_
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Not a big scoring game for Estrada but making major contributions with 10 boards, 6 assists and 4 steals. Chipped in 8 points on a off shooting night 4-14. Bama got all they could handle in this one. They finally pulled away in the last 2 minutes 72-61.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Estrada could have stayed at Hofstra for his third season and been CAA POY and the Haggerty Award winner (again), but he did something better: he transferred to a top-flight program and is now receiving more attention from the pros than he ever would have back in Hempstead.

This is Speedy's new "blueprint": Come to Hofstra, play two or three years, learn from me, maybe taste the NCAA or NIT, and then transfer to a Power Five conference and improve your chances at playing pro hoops in the NBA or somewhere else.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

If Estrada had stayed at Hofstra, we would have gone dancing and he would be the Alpha. At Alabama he's just a role player. I don't see scouts fawning all over him.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

HUSID80 wrote:If Estrada had stayed at Hofstra, we would have gone dancing and he would be the Alpha. At Alabama he's just a role player. I don't see scouts fawning all over him.
No way to say we would have gone dancing given how challenging it is to win this league no matter how much talent you have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wags

Post by Wags »

HofstraPride1 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:33 pm
HUSID80 wrote:If Estrada had stayed at Hofstra, we would have gone dancing and he would be the Alpha. At Alabama he's just a role player. I don't see scouts fawning all over him.
No way to say we would have gone dancing given how challenging it is to win this league no matter how much talent you have.
Exactly. Did we simply forget that in his last year at Hofstra, he was a two-time POY, his team was the 1 seed, and they STILL lost in OT in the semis to a team they beat 70-46 several weeks earlier? There is no possible way it can be assumed that he would have gone dancing and even if he did, he likely wouldn't have won an NCAA tourney game vs. being the Sweet 16 with a legit chance to get to the Final Four right now. He's also far more than just a role player. He's a starter and Alabama's second-leading scorer.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Estrada showing up big tonight. Making some key plays late. He has a game-high-tying on 19 pts on 9/16 fg. Just tied the game 75-75 on a big 3 and Brian Anderson mentioned Hofstra.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Great comeback win for Alabama. Someone, Bama or Clemson, will go to the Final Four for the first time on Saturday night. So at least four teams making their first Final Four trip in the past two years. Could be more by Sunday.

Estrada finished with 19 pts on 9/17 fg, 1/4 from 3, 4 reb, 3 ast, 1 to, 1 stl, 1 blk.

If Alabama wins on Saturday night, have to think that helps Hofstra if Speedy can tell potential portal transfers that Estrada averaged under 20 mpg at St. Peter's, hardly played at Oregon, was a two-time POY at Hofstra and then went to the Final Four from there.
dutchPride86

Post by dutchPride86 »

How cool is this?!

https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status ... oBW-g&s=19

Serious question, in today's climate is popping in the tape of what Estrada did tonight as good a (if not better) recruiting tool than winning the conference tourney? OF COURSE the answer should be you can feel like Estrada does now HERE, but in this new world isnt using Hofstra to get to where Estrada is now what any mid major player really wants?

Also if any good mid major player is on the fence about transferring, seeing a team like Bama this year (Sears-Ohio, Nelson-North Dakota St and obvioisly Estrada) should tip it over the edge to go for it sadly
dutchPride86

Post by dutchPride86 »

Final Four for Estrada! Couldn't find his shot tonight, but 10 pts, 8 reb, 7 ast (game high) nothing to sneeze at. Made 3 of his 4 FTs in the final minute to help ice it.

Gonna be the biggest national stage for a former Hofstra athlete next week since what - Speedys nba finals with the spurs? (Unless you want to count Colston in general with NFL but certainly for basketball). And Estrada has a larger role for Bama than Speedy did for that Spurs team, though we all know he was better than Tony Parker in that series! (but I digress :D)
Wags

Post by Wags »

dutchPride86 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:19 pm Final Four for Estrada! Couldn't find his shot tonight, but 10 pts, 8 reb, 7 ast (game high) nothing to sneeze at. Made 3 of his 4 FTs in the final minute to help ice it.

Gonna be the biggest national stage for a former Hofstra athlete next week since what - Speedys nba finals with the spurs? (Unless you want to count Colston in general with NFL but certainly for basketball). And Estrada has a larger role for Bama than Speedy did for that Spurs team, though we all know he was better than Tony Parker in that series! (but I digress :D)
Really, he had five points and missed some really easy ones at the rim he should have made in the first half. The last five points were garbage points although it did include two clutch FTs late when Alabama neede them. The assists and defense were big.

Parker was way better (and Speedy didn’t play much) in four games in the series, Speedy was better only in Games 4 and 6.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Wags wrote:
dutchPride86 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:19 pm Final Four for Estrada! Couldn't find his shot tonight, but 10 pts, 8 reb, 7 ast (game high) nothing to sneeze at. Made 3 of his 4 FTs in the final minute to help ice it.

Really, he had five points and missed some really easy ones at the rim he should have made in the first half. The last five points were garbage points although it did include two clutch FTs late when Alabama neede them. The assists and defense were big.

Parker was way better (and Speedy didn’t play much) in four games in the series, Speedy was better only in Games 4 and 6.
If you listen to Kidd talk about that series, they game planned for Parker and they held him in check in those games. Speedy was the difference maker and was the key to that championship. Didnt ESPN make a 30/30 about it?
Very conflicted time for me who loved the Nets since the Petrovic/Coleman/Anderson teams and also had the back of his head in a green American eagle t shirt on ESPN charging the court in 2000
I will not deny losing my temper during game 6

triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Estrada actually had 5 assists in this game but made major contributions even when his shot wasn't falling. He has to feel he made the right choice going to Alabama and I'm very happy for him getting the taste of the post season now the Final Four. Just huge!
Wags

Post by Wags »

cactus wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:01 am
Wags wrote:

If you listen to Kidd talk about that series, they game planned for Parker and they held him in check in those games. Speedy was the difference maker and was the key to that championship. Didnt ESPN make a 30/30 about it?
Very conflicted time for me who loved the Nets since the Petrovic/Coleman/Anderson teams and also had the back of his head in a green American eagle t shirt on ESPN charging the court in 2000
I will not deny losing my temper during game 6
They only held Parker in check over the final three games, not the whole series. He played well before that.

Spurs' win in Game 1: Parker played 40 min, Speedy played 8
Spurs' loss in Game 2: Parker played 41 min, Speedy played 7
Spurs' win in Game 3: Parker played 43 min, Speedy played 5
Spurs' loss in Game 4: Parker played 31 min and was awful, Speedy played much better in 17 min, but the still lost
Spurs' win in Game 5: Parker played okay but not great in 33 min, Speedy played 14 min but was okay at best
Spurs' win in Game 6: They split time, 24 mins apiece, with Parker not doing much and Speedy shining

To say Speedy was "the key" to the championship is vastly overstating it. He hardly played over the first half of the series. He was a significant factor over the second half of the series and had his big moment on the big stage in the closeout game in Game 6 (mainly, in the third quarter). Speedy was an x-factor in the second half of the series but the difference maker and the key to the championship was Tim Duncan (along with Stephen Jackson and David Robinson).
Wags

Post by Wags »

Wags

Post by Wags »

Wags

Post by Wags »

I could be wrong, but I think Estrada, who led Hofstra to a road win with 20 points at Hampton on 1/5/23 in front of 147 fans, and who 15 months later, will play in front of over 72,000 at the Final Four, should set the record for the biggest crowd disparity to play before in a career.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Wags wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 2:20 pm I could be wrong, but I think Estrada, who led Hofstra to a road win with 20 points at Hampton on 1/5/23 in front of 147 fans, and who 15 months later, will play in front of over 72,000 at the Final Four, should set the record for the biggest crowd disparity to play before in a career.
LOL

I hope there isnt someone tracking that stat -

But that said - I am happy for Estrada - I think it is such a great thing to know one of our very own has the chops to play at that level.

Gives Speedy and his staff credibility to eye and develop talent.

Although I absolutely hate it - the open transfer portal and what it means and does to us at HU - I get why a guy like Carlos feels it worth going to a bigger stage against tougher competition - a time from him (them) shine.

I just hope the ripple effect is that we continue to get those recruits that view us as a prime place to get playing time - learn the game and develop their skill set from Speedy.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

This will be the BIGGEST test for Speedy and his staff having to recruit practically from scratch. Lets see how they do. Most of us have full confidence in this staff.