NIT????

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HUSID80

NIT????

Post by HUSID80 »

Do any of us think we have a chance of stealing an NIT bid? Does our win over Rutgers last year carry any weight? Will all mids be marginalized with the new selection criteria?
cactus
Site Admin

Re: NIT????

Post by cactus »

no chance. they didn't beat anyone except south florida, which was a different team then
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

The NIT this year does not have automatic bids for any team that was in first place in their conference and loses in their league tournament. This will be a very different year for the NIT because the finals are at Butler and not MSG. The power 6 conferences get 2 automatic bids for 12 spots in the 32 team field. The remaining 20 bids are considered at-large. Also, the foul lane is extended to 16 feet, the same size as the NBA.
Wags

Post by Wags »

HUSID80 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:27 am Do any of us think we have a chance of stealing an NIT bid? Does our win over Rutgers last year carry any weight? Will all mids be marginalized with the new selection criteria?
It "shouldn't" (in quotes because we know how they do things) carry any weight. Past seasons should not have anything to do with the current season. Anyway, I can't see it. South Florida was their only impressive win. Pretty sure there will be enough other candidates with better resumes to fill up the NIT bracket and they are already up against it as a third-place CAA team vs. power conference considerations who won't make the NCAAT field.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

100 teams make the NCAA or NIT. We are 112th in the NET, which would have us as the 12th team out, and farther out because of NCAA automatic bids to worse teams. We are good enough for the CBI or CIT. Charleston is 98th in the NET, so they probably would have been out of the top 100 if they did not win the CAA Tournament. I do not think any CAA team had a chance at the NIT before the CAA Tournament started.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Do you really want to see Hofstra in the CBI or CIT. If it was a young team I would say yes but I dont know if Speedy would welcome an extended season after losing to SBU