Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Hofstra

Re: CAAT Sunday, March 10 - Quarterfinals

Post by Hofstra »

Big W. Keep it going
dutchPride86

Post by dutchPride86 »

Hopefully Thomas got the bad game out of his system, zero complaints otherwise. Had he had even an average game (or if Hofstra didn't spend a good couple mins down the stretch there trying to get him going instead of running the offense) would have won by 25+.

Just absolutely terrific games for Dubar and JC. When Dubar plays like that, you can see an NBA future.

Won the game on the defensive end... once again holding opponent under 60. They've finally accepted that's their new (and best) identity, and that's why we are where.

Facing Stony in a semi is almost too wild to even process, but no looking ahead to Charleston, Stony has gotten too good for that.

1 down, 2 to go!
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Delaware had 22 halfway through the first half , and 36 (really 33) pts the next 30 mins.

Sent from my Pixel 8 using Tapatalk

Polito

Post by Polito »

Was looking for a 10 point win and HU answered and then some. Gotta take any win you get in the tournament - can't complain too much, a W is a W in the CAAT - wasn't a pretty first half, but they came out with a purpose in the 2nd and left no doubt. Carlos and Dubar absolutely answered the call and carried the team. Played like 2 absolute studs. Playing like I was hoping they would, with a chip on the shoulder. KEEP IT UP!

TT, good grief. I don't want to ruin a positive night. He simply needs to do better. Not gonna fawn over him doing the little things - he's a senior conf POY he's SUPPOSED to do those things. He's also supposed to be better than this. The airballs and bricks shooting a zillion times a game just isn't helpful. This has gone beyond a bad game, it's become a bad trend - frankly the team is winning despite him at this point. He's pressing likely feeling the pressure to be better, and I think the POY and his slump are in his head a bit. Understandable, I know the kid cares deeply. But he needs to relax, stop shooting so much, keep doing the little things to help his teammates do their thing. Play within himself, the offense, and the flow of the game for what the D gives.

Would be nice if Speedy can have a Carlos-esque chat with TT tonight and tomorrow and get him back on track. I think it's all mental at this point. HU doesn't need everything to run through him - when he's on his game and it flows within the team they can do big things. He needs some zen right now!

On the plus how about Sunday delivering some quality minutes, really great to have! Going to need more of that.

And could we be witnessing the development and emergence of a leader in JC??? Man does this program need that. Would be a HECKUVA time to have him truly take those reigns - he's on the path, carry it through JC!!

Now...

On to a HUGE semifinal game. TBH I think this is a bigger game than a champ game would be. I don't expect them to win it all, but Speedy absolutely can NOT lose to SBU tomorrow. Newsday will never let HU hear the end of it. This is a MUST-WIN.

It'll be SBU's 3rd game in 3 days - I think HU should run them silly, play aggressive D again, and wear them out in the second. Rest up fellas, big time rival matchup in the conf tourney vs a team that is sneaky dangerous. Time to show up and put a stamp on owning the Island!
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

The bench played 30 minutes, which is too little in a win by 15, but that is twice as much as the 15 bench minutes at Charleston.

I wonder if it is rare for us to play a team on national TV twice in one season, but this is the second consecutive time our CAA Semifinal is a team we played on CBS Sports Network earlier. In 2020, we played Delaware and Northeastern on CBS Sports Network in the regular season and CAA Tournament.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsKKjmWFmLY is highlights.

I had a great night. Right after we won, I watched Omaha (where I live) end on a 10-0 run, and Frankie Fidler made the winning shot with 3.2 seconds left to win 73-72 and give him 34 points. Omaha lost in the Summit League Quarterfinals the previous four seasons, and tonight was the 3-6 Quarterfinal just like us. I want to go to the Summit League Tournament once, but it is at the same time as the CAA Tournament, and I might go to a Summit League Tournament if we have a bad season.

Edit: https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... /401630148 is the AI article with a mistake. It says we took the lead with 19:30 left in the first half and did not relinquish it. There was also an error about W&M's Second Round game where it said they extended their losing streak to ten games, but they ended their losing streak in the First Round. AI does things instantly, but if you want quality, don't use it.
Wags

Post by Wags »

This was the 9th time this season Hofstra allowed <60 pts vs. a D-I opponent and the 15th time this season they allowed <70 vs. a D-I opponent.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Workman like victory
DD and JC stepped up bigtime
TT scored 20 but not efficient
We still win going away
Delaware is a better team this year than the last few years but it was our D that locked them down
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Congrats on a great team win...when you key on Thomas it opens things up for Carlos and Dubar and they took full advantage.
Now on to SB...huge game for PRIDE...hopefully they have no legs. I think this one will be close early with us pulling away. I think SB only beat Drexel due to Williams' injury. He was the best plyer on the floor prior to getting hurt.
Wonder if Newsday will pry Roger Rubin from Pitino's butt to cover this game and they SHOULD but probably won't.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Like the Newsday comments HUSID but really a statement win. Carlos stirred the drink and set the tempo in this game not to mention taking smart shots and making them. Feels like he’s the X factor here just controls the game in so many ways. We will have to beat a team for the third time today but I remember us doing this before. Hopefully we’re fresh and they’re a bit exhausted from the night before. This may be a lot tougher game than people expect.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

It was ridiculous for the announcer to say that Stony Brook reached the Semifinals for the first time in school history. It is their second season in the CAA, and they reached the America East Semifinals earlier.

Edit: The Summit League is a worse conference with its tournament in Sioux Falls, South Dakota. One of the Summit League's Quarterfinal doubleheaders got 5.4 times the attendance of our Quarterfinal doubleheader. I wouldn't be surprised if the CAA was the conference with the highest percentage of its regular season conference games having one or both teams in the top half of the NET and an attendance under 3,000.
Wags

Post by Wags »

If anyone's interested...

On the quarterfinal day session:
https://www.midmajormadness.com/2024/3/ ... aight-year

On the quarterfinal night session:
https://www.midmajormadness.com/2024/3/ ... n-delaware
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Well done, Wags. You had to write those two article pretty quickly.

I hope they pay you by the word. :)
Wags

Post by Wags »

Jojogunne wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:29 pm Well done, Wags. You had to write those two article pretty quickly.
Let's just say sleep has been lacking so far this trip (especially with on top of the hectic schedule, throwing in springing ahead for DST and 2OT last night).
Jojogunne wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:29 pm I hope they pay you by the word. :)
:lol: I wish!