Turnpike United - Hofstra's NIL Collective

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

I saw this referenced in the NY Post article mentioned in the Newsday thread (repeated below):

https://turnpikeunited.com/

https://nypost.com/2024/03/09/sports/ho ... er-system/

I've never heard of Turnpike United before. Guess I didn't get the memo.
joeg1

Re: Turnpike United - Hofstra's NIL Collective

Post by joeg1 »

Not affiliated with Hofstra University.

The site is very sparse on details about who is behind this and where the money goes. Who is accountable for oversight? I'd be wary about forking over cash without an explicit endorsement from someone within the Athletics Department. Too many scams out there. What is your recourse if they take the money and run?

P.S. Unlike donations directly to the school, none of this is tax deductible.
Last edited by joeg1 on Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

This is the group behind Turnpike United:

https://studentathletenil.com/
Polito

Post by Polito »

Jojo thank you for posting this - frankly I am shocked people don't know about this - I thought it's been mentioned here before.

joeg, I get it, all should be mindful of where their money goes, but to my knowledge this is real and I believe HU's only NIL collective. And when I say Hofstra's I mean the only one that is specifically to help NIL for HU's athletes. Hopefully it is!

And yep, it's not tax deductible yet. It isn't for anyone or any program right now. Hopefully that changes soon. We still need to participate though. That isn't stopping it and it isn't stopping anyone else from utilizing it. Including out biggest rival to dancing CofC.

And I imagine for most the tax deduction on a few hundred or couple thousand bucks isn't a huge financial impact.

I would like to see HU do better at helping fans better understand all this, the value of it, the impact they can make, etc. I think it's a big missed opportunity on their part. It's all P5's are focused on today - HC's talk about it ALL the time. Everyone is in the same boat, HU is no different.

We are behind and need to do all we can to catch up. I would like to get more info and know how I can help - if this is the one, great, then let's know that and support the heck out of it. If there's another, great, show us and let's rock.

I think HU can better help remove the mystery and skepticism for all fans. Supporting the U itself is obviously a good thing too, but we can't ignore NIL - that's not going to help anything. Not one penny to the U helps NIL and none goest to the athletes we are trying to recruit and retain. HU right now seems to be confused and competing with itself - this is not helping anything and is hurting our future success.

It's all SJU promoted during breaks at UBS. HU needs to get educated, help its fanbase, support its athletes, and mature its approach, in a hurry.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

I would feel a whole lot better about it if Hofstra actually made a statement endorsing it. (Like Pitino/SJU did for their version)