MBB Game 30 @UNCW, Feb. 29 (Thu), 7 PM

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HUSID80

Re: MBB Game 30 @UNCW, Feb. 29 (Thu), 7 PM

Post by HUSID80 »

I'm not worried about Thomas at all. UNCW did everything they could to stop him which opened things up for Dubar and Carlos. They picked their poison, betted that stopping Thomas would win the game and they lost!
Great gut check win when it really mattered!
All the early doomsayers can eat their words now as we are in a better position going into to the playoffs than anyone would have thought.
Now it will be fun to watch us against Charleston!
HU87

Post by HU87 »

HUSID80 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:58 am I'm not worried about Thomas at all. UNCW did everything they could to stop him which opened things up for Dubar and Carlos. They picked their poison, betted that stopping Thomas would win the game and they lost!
Great gut check win when it really mattered!
All the early doomsayers can eat their words now as we are in a better position going into to the playoffs than anyone would have thought.
Now it will be fun to watch us against Charleston!
Amen!

Kudos to Speedy for his game planning, Kudos to TT for adjusting when the doubles and zones came his way, and HUGE kudos to DD and JC for hitting shots when we need them.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Hofstra wore their road blues
Time for another Blue Collar win on Saturday
Wags

Post by Wags »

HUSID80 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:58 am I'm not worried about Thomas at all. UNCW did everything they could to stop him which opened things up for Dubar and Carlos. They picked their poison, betted that stopping Thomas would win the game and they lost!
I get it, and that's all fine. The are more than capable of having Dubar carry them one game in DC and Thomas another, and maybe both, or like last night, one of them plus another (like Carlos last night) or a few others chipping in (like Fritz, Plotnikov, etc.), but Thomas is still 13/39 (33.3%) over his last two games. That's reverting back to where he was before he shot a lot better during this push he helped to a top-3 seed. Hopefully just a small sample in a couple of games they won anyway, but I'd feel better about DC if he is efficient again on Saturday.

If there was still any doubt about Thomas as the POY, this game put that to rest. White didn't do anymore than Thomas did. He probably needed two big games in two wins during this final week, to see Thomas have two games like Thomas had last night, and see two Hofstra losses, to leap (again, happy Leap Day yesterday lol) over Thomas for the POY award. But I think last night sealed it for Thomas if it wasn't already his.

Plotnikov also only two shots again in 28 minutes last night. Sometimes he's involved a lot offensively, sometimes very little. I hope they don't forget about him when they will really need his contributions at some point in DC.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Gut check win for sure, and yep it's amazing the position HU is in right now - very fortunate. A combo of how bad this league is and HU finally stepping it up on D and stopped pretending they can out 3 everyone. They need to keep playing their game within their skill set - stay focused on how they win best, with DEFENSE, and don't get caught up in trying to shoot the lights out or stand around and watch TT hoist bad contested shots.

TT is definitely in a little lull, let's not pretend that isn't an issue - but he's also being keyed on, and yes, he's doing some other things to help. BUT can't say there's "no" concern - HU absolutely needs him to have a chance. He doesn't have to star in every game, but he certainly needs to do better than the last couple of games. He needs to step up in the CAAT, or this team doesn't get it done.

I don't want him to take over - just play up to his potential and play his part - when HU plays as a team with ball distribution and intense D, they are much better. Good enough even to get it done.

German could be this years X factor. Hope the young man balls out and is utilized to his ability. He can make a difference for sure.

Those are impressive stats for Speedy in Feb. Can't not like that. But we all know it's the March success that matters most. Only year 3 so a small sample size for him - but this program has fallen flat way wayyyyy too often - Speedy & Co. now need to show they are going to be a program that actually finishes.

It's MARCH. All the marbles starts now - show up, show out, or sit home.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Pol if you don't win in February there AIN'T NO MARCH.
And, we did just fine with Thomas' performanve Thursday.
They keyed on him and we went elsewhere with success.
Let's see what Charleton does.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Guess we saw what Charleston does.