MBB Game 07 South Florida, Nov 30 (Thu), 7 PM

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Mark19th

Re: MBB Game 07 South Florida, Nov 30 (Thu), 7 PM

Post by Mark19th »

Great coverage by Newsday…a single paragraph buried in the middle of the sports pages…Pretty pathetic. CALL AND COMPLAIN!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Mark19th wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:17 pm Great coverage by Newsday…a single paragraph buried in the middle of the sports pages…Pretty pathetic. CALL AND COMPLAIN!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
We have been discussing this under the topic Media Thread Mark19th just an FYI.
Wags

Post by Wags »

triplec2195 wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:15 pm Also for all the talk about Pack the Mack and just based on a visual there seemed to be a lot of people at this game but the official attendance was listed as 1,758. It seems like we had more then that there. Does anyone feel that way also??
I was surprised when I saw that figure last night because the parking lots by the baseball field were far more crowded than usual and inside the building it did feel like it was about 800 - 1,000 or so more than was listed and the Lion's Den had a decent turnout, but if that's the number, it's probably accurate. Good on the 1,758 then for making it feel like more, but I wonder what all those cars outside were there for.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

triplec2195 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:19 pm As super as Tyler played Dubar overall played better and was really locked in.
I just looked at the Analytics tab, which agrees. In efficiency, Dubar led with 31, and Thomas and Carlos tied with 21. Sam Hines Jr. led USF with 20. In game score, Dubar led with 21.7, Thomas had 16.2, and Carlos had 14.4. Hines Jr. led USF with 11.4. In net points, Carlos had +6.5, Dubar had +2.8, Sunday had +1.2, and Thomas had -1. Hines Jr. led USF with +3.3. Net points is different from +/-, and it is negative for all players combined. It was -2.3 for us and -6.9 for USF, so it was much closer than the margin, and I don't see how any rating could have Hines Jr. above Dubar. The formula is not available.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

triplec2195 wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:15 pm To comment on the official scoring on who did what I noticed that on gohofstra the box score shows that Carlos went 6-6 from the foul line when in reality he went 6-7 after missing the front end of a one and one. Crazy they can't get this right.

Also for all the talk about Pack the Mack and just based on a visual there seemed to be a lot of people at this game but the official attendance was listed as 1,758. It seems like we had more then that there. Does anyone feel that way also??
So I watched part of this game on Flo sports replay and I wasn't dreaming. At 8:06 remaining in the game JC was fouled and did in fact miss the front end of a ONE AND ONE. His overall stats on gohofstra show him hitting 16-16 from the foul line. Just sayin........... BTW our FT shooting has been superb with JC shooting 100% and Tyler shooting 96%, Dubar 78%.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

and that’s why we should drive to the hoop and draw fouls get the other team in foul trouble which will open up the outside shooting for us. Also remember how important foul shooting is down the stretch when you’re trying to protect the lead
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Tyler shot 78% all of last year and Carlos 79%. Good shooting percentages but not what they're shooting so far this year. Tyler took 36 FT's all of last year and has already taken 22. Carlos took 48 last year and has already taken 16. You see what the game plan is already to get easier points from the foul line and Tyler is taking his game inside the ARC where like Estrada he's a proficient scorer.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Not much more to add a bit after the fact, but was at the game with HUSID (great time), and this was a total domination. I don't care how good or bad USF is, this was very refreshing to see. The keys here were HU started fast and aggressive, and STAYED that way no matter the score - they did NOT let up or play down to any level, they stayed true to their game and I think that was a big sign of maturity.

And this was a team not close to full strength with a number of guys not playing. German looks to be favoring his right arm. Still no Wilmoth or Parnell, Farmer barely saw the floor... when this team is finally at full strength it's going to be exciting. All played aggressive too, which I like - yes, the bigs need to steady their hands and feet, and the young bucks like KJ will need to mature and show patience, but I MUCH rather have a team that's more proactive flying around making the opponent work hard than be too reserved.

I really like the bench use, this staff is building up a full arsenal - although we've had more single top talent, I think this might be the most talented "top to bottom" HU has been since I can remember - nearly every bench guy is serviceable and brings something to the table - pretty rare for HU - all are getting real burn to develop their games - I think this kind of depth is big and is going to pay off at the end of the season.
Wags

Post by Wags »

South Florida is #25 and ranked in the AP Top 25 for the first time in program history.

Can we count this as beating a Top 25 team three straight years? :D

I'm joking but I think this means more than the reverse (beating a highly overrated Top 25 team early only to see that team fall out of the Top 25 and have a bad year), even though South Florida wasn't the same team yet that they are today when Hofstra beat them.
Polito

Post by Polito »

This is interesting, I thought USF was ranked years ago? They had a very respectable program at one time, good talent and coaching. Thought they had been in the top 25 before...

Good for them, heckuva turnaround.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Prior to this season, their best winning percentage was 19-8 (.704) as an Independent in 1975-1976. There is a USF that was ranked in at least some of 14 seasons, including finishing Number 1 in consecutive seasons. That was University of San Francisco.

On Saturday at 4:00 P.M., South Florida is at Charlotte, who is tied for second with Florida Atlantic. South Florida has clinched a tie for first, and will clinch sole first with a win.