MBB Game 29 Elon, Feb. 24 (Sat), 7 PM

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
dutchPride86

Re: MBB Game 29 Elon, Feb. 24 (Sat), 7 PM

Post by dutchPride86 »

Wags wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:23 am
dutchPride86 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:13 pm Good job all around taking care of business tonight. Yes Elon clearly outclassed, but - that team was good enough to pull an upset at UNCW last week
I look at this another way for Hofstra, not related to how Hofstra took care of business tonight but related to their next game. It's going to be a very tough challenge just to steal one of the two on this last road trip, but if this normally bad Elon team was good enough to win at UNCW, who's to say Hofstra can't win there?
Totally fair take. Having not watched that Elon UNCW game though, I'm just gonna assume UNCW took them lightly and we'll see a much more focused opponent than Elon did.

If Hofstra winds up in a 4-way tie for 4th at 11-7 with Towson, Delaware and Monmouth (which is what would happen if the presumed favorite won every remaining game), or a 3-way tie with Towson and Delaware - Hofstra it appears would win that tiebreaker. However if Hofstra winds up in a 3-way tie with Monmouth and either of the other two - Monmouth would take it down.

Fun website here where you can select the winner of every remaining conference game for any league and it'll spit out what their bracket looks like (it defaults to the better team by NET ranking as the winner):

https://bball.notnothing.net/caa.php?sport=mbb
Wags

Post by Wags »

Wonder if this is the first time something like this has happened in consecutive Hofstra basketball games (men's or women's for that matter):

Thu 2/22
Shooting: Drexel 18/51
Turnovers: Drexel 13, Hofstra 9
Pts of TOs: Hofstra 19, Drexel 5

Sat 2/24
Shooting: Elon 18/51
Turnovers: Elon 13, Hofstra 9
Pts of TOs: Hofstra 19, Elon 5
danbenjamin888

Post by danbenjamin888 »

I believe Dubar has at least one more year of eligibility but was honored in the Senior Night ceremony.
Is he leaving after this year?
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Unless Hofstra comes up with a decent NIL package I see Dubar leaving for a P5 school
Wags

Post by Wags »

danbenjamin888 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:08 am I believe Dubar has at least one more year of eligibility but was honored in the Senior Night ceremony.
Is he leaving after this year?
He could, but that's not certain and not why he was honored. They wouldn't honor based on speculation, it's strictly about service. He was honored as a fourth-year player with three years at Hofstra after a year at Iowa State even though he is technically listed as a junior.
Wags

Post by Wags »

This was Fritz' seventh career double-double but his first in a Hofstra uniform.

Speedy on that:

“Jacco was huge. Whenever we get that kind of production from our bigs, it takes us to another level. I hope Jacco has finally settled in here and he’s comfortable. When he gives us minutes and point production like that, we’re tough to beat.”
Wags

Post by Wags »

It gets overshadowed because they won so easily, but this was a bit of a reversion back to Thomas' old shooting ways during his mid-season slump. He started 1/8, only shot 9/26 overall and took and missed a lot of 3s (5/14), although the 8/18 finish overall was not too bad, and he did add 7 rebs and 4 asts (including a really good find to Plotnikov in the first half).

I just hope the rest of the way, he'll get back to where he was a lot more efficient (like over his prior eight games), when he was shooting much overall, more from mid-range, less from 3 (going something more like 3/8 or 4/9 from 3) while getting to the line a bit rather than the types of familiar numbers we saw yesterday and earlier in the season. Needing 26 shots to get to 25 points (like yesterday) is what he had gotten away from in recent weeks and that likely won't cut it in D.C.

Nevertheless, this is good recognition:
https://twitter.com/CAABasketball/statu ... 4775419034