MBB Game 28 Drexel, Feb. 22 (Thu), 7 PM

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
EvanJ

Re: MBB Game 28 Drexel, Feb. 22 (Thu), 7 PM

Post by EvanJ »

Of 362 teams, we are last in free throws attempted per game, and 18th worst in free throws made per game differential. We committed 16 more fouls than our opponents, but our opponents made 107 more free throws. On a batter note, we shoot twos .560, and our opponents shoot twos .464. They don't keep statistics for only twos, but that must be one of the best differentials. Being among the leaders in threes made and three-point field goal percentage while shooting twos so much better than our opponents is a great combination.
dan10

Post by dan10 »

Wags wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:54 pm
dan10 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:14 pm
Wags wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:51 am
I don't get this but it played right into Hofstra's hands last night. It's the only time I've seen Drexel in person this year and I was wondering why they weren't just using his size, allowing Williams to fulfill those preseason POY expectations. Late in the second half he was right in front of me along the baseline. The guy next to me and I both said, "He's a big guy." Even compared to Sunday's size, he just looks powerful and like he could as you say, dominate, if allowed to. Sometimes coaches outsmart themselves and don't simply play to their strengths. Maybe Spiker's playing that way all regular season to throw people off and then unexpectedly unleashes that in DC? :lol:
Amari's 40 minute splits are quite good and would look like a POY. But he is only averaging like 22 minutes a game so its not super impressive (especially offensively).
I was wondering about this too. He had about the same production in 27 minutes last night as Fritz and Sunday in 39 combined minutes and he only had one foul. It looks like he hasn't been in foul trouble all year. Is he not in good enough shape to play more from a conditioning standpoint? Or Spiker is just insistent on doing things his own way and completely ignoring what Williams could do for Drexel if he played 35 minutes a game? It's otherwise just self-sabotage. Why would any coach place self-imposed limits on such a big (figuratively and literally) weapon?
Your guess is as good as any of ours. We thought it was conditioning last season and he was putting in work with I believe Robert Battle and yet this season his minutes have gone down, not up. So who knows. To me it seems more a Spiker decision to run his offense and his rotations and keep everyone fresh than it does Amari himself. Spiker's substitution patterns are very methodical and consistent, regardless of the game and situation.

If you would like to call Spiker or our athletic department up and let them know to unleash Amari, I would support that.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

They're really misusing this guy who has a lot of upside. I would love to know the entire story behind this. At times he appears to be in a coma but one play that stands out to me he used that coma ploy to blow right by Fritz and score on an easy layup. A real mystery!
Wags

Post by Wags »

Made ESPN for the second time in a week (this time, for halftime):

https://twitter.com/HofstraPride/status ... 5304019387
Wags

Post by Wags »

dan10 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:18 pm
Wags wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:54 pm
dan10 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:14 pm
Amari's 40 minute splits are quite good and would look like a POY. But he is only averaging like 22 minutes a game so its not super impressive (especially offensively).
I was wondering about this too. He had about the same production in 27 minutes last night as Fritz and Sunday in 39 combined minutes and he only had one foul. It looks like he hasn't been in foul trouble all year. Is he not in good enough shape to play more from a conditioning standpoint? Or Spiker is just insistent on doing things his own way and completely ignoring what Williams could do for Drexel if he played 35 minutes a game? It's otherwise just self-sabotage. Why would any coach place self-imposed limits on such a big (figuratively and literally) weapon?
Your guess is as good as any of ours. We thought it was conditioning last season and he was putting in work with I believe Robert Battle and yet this season his minutes have gone down, not up. So who knows. To me it seems more a Spiker decision to run his offense and his rotations and keep everyone fresh than it does Amari himself. Spiker's substitution patterns are very methodical and consistent, regardless of the game and situation.

If you would like to call Spiker or our athletic department up and let them know to unleash Amari, I would support that.
LOL, I would but since Drexel is already enough of a challenge to Hofstra trying to desperately hang on to a top-four spot, I'll leave that one alone.
dan10

Post by dan10 »

18-3 in your last 21 against us would suggest otherwise on the "challenge" part LOL
Wags

Post by Wags »

dan10 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:34 pm 18-3 in your last 21 against us would suggest otherwise on the "challenge" part LOL
Tied with three to play, we just split, and you have an easier remaining schedule. That's challenge enough!