stuball888

Re: MBB Game 24 @ Hampton, Feb. 8 (Thu), 7 PM

Post by stuball888 »

Bochie Yodem from Davidson higher than Canisus
Also if not for Nelson we dont beat Rutgers last year
Polito

Post by Polito »

HU is very fortunate to play in a garbage conference - it's the only reason this team is able to squeeze out any wins. We all know this group isn't very good, so any real expectations at this point are gone for me - whatever they do they do - will take any W however it comes, and I've fully accepted they aren't going anywhere this year. If they make a run in the CAAT that will be a pleasant surprise.

I will give them credit for not going away - it's a shockingly good quality they have lol - they are resilient, don't give up, and just keep battling - it's pretty amazing actually considering how bad they are and how often they simply don't show up for 30 min a game. Strange team, strange year.

Hm, I don't recall Williams like that at all, to be quite frank, the dude did not fulfill expectations in any way. He had an atrocious first half - fine, injury I guess (always the excuse at HU) - but he only had a couple of decent games towards the end, nowhere near what he was brought in to do. Just another looks like tarzan played like jane guy in the post for HU - something this program has mastered.

Fritz is so-so at best - has some good moments, and then has many times where he is completely lost and gets badly schooled. Not impressed at all - he's clearly at a certain level, and it isn't as high as HU needed. When he's on it's a positive impact, but he's not on enough in a terrible league.

Yodem to me is easily above both - that guy I had zero expectation to be anything, and he shocked the heck out of me - was extremely smart, always in the right spot, played his role to a T, and without a doubt was a primary reason that team won a lot of games. He definitely got bullied at times, but not nearly as much as the others being mentioned here. Nelson knew the game, knew himself, and maximized both. Glue guy and an actual leader - the other two mentioned, not even close to either.

I've had hope for Sunday. He's been really awful in many games... and then recently he's showing some light. It's too early to tell, but I guess the best thing about him is he's young. Still time - if he can develop his size will carry him far - let's see what next year looks like.
dutchPride86

Post by dutchPride86 »

Fritz is nice player and definitely a more skilled scorer than Nelson was, but as this season has developed there has been a noticeable drop off in toughness, defensive positioning, and leadership. I think it was short sighted from the staff to fall for Fritzs offensive traits and overlook those other qualities that Nelson brought to the table when targeting a starting center this season. As for Sunday hard to see any potential beyond being a backup, but a month ago I would have said he couldn't be on the roster next season so at least that's progress.

Imo Hofstra would be much better suited exclusively targeting bigs transferring down rather than MAAC level bigs moving up going forward (and maybe they did this yr with Wilmoth though it didn't sound like he would have played like a traditional big). Winning cultures, experience even if mainly in practice defending against power 5 level size. Jacquil Taylor was a personal favorite of mine, have to believe that type of player still exists.

And whatever Hofstra does, should also prioritize more bulk. Can't compete even at the CAA level if you're starting center is a 215lb finesse player. Look at even some of the other guys we've had:

Rokas - 260
Jaq Taylor - 235
Kante - 240
Warren Williams- 247

And just in conference this season:

Brzovic - 225
Amari williams - 265
Charles Thompson- 250
Doherty- 235
Kyreese Mullen- 230

The CAA stinks, but it's still a higher level league than the MAAC and the America East. Stop acting like you can win with size of players in those conferences
Polito

Post by Polito »

Amen, preaching to the choir on the bigs. I am SO ever sick and tired of the soft as charmin post guys this program brings in. Constantly with the "finesse" players. D O G S. This program needs DOGS. And post players that play with some actual authority. I've never seen so many bigs in a program year after year that can't throw down a proper dunk to make a statement. I've lost count how many easy alley oops have been turned into high jump layups... lol I mean they've all done this in HS for goodness sake, grab the dang ball like a big man and posterize somebody!

Although HU's best dogs in the post have been their 6'8 forwards - I'll take that too at this point, this team has zero of those as well.

Fully agree on getting P5 down vs bringing up - or a bad ass proven Juco - most of the time that's the best strategy. Once in awhile you'll hit on a Yodem from the mids - he turned out to be what the doctor ordered, but again, that's rare and he was a finesse / smarts guy vs a bully in the paint.

Sunday has the size, but man he plays too delicate so far. No clue how to use his size. He's like a st bernard that thinks he's yorkie trying to jump on laps. Teach that dude he's huge and to friggin play like it!
Wags

Post by Wags »

ZMAN3 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:57 pm Warren Williams so much better than Sunday. Also Williams slow start can be attributive to coming off injury
Agree, I wasn't comparing at all. Just the rebounds that Carlos was able to get in the same way for a couple of games and the signs of life (when there was none prior) for Sunday.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Polito wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:49 pm Sunday has the size, but man he plays too delicate so far. No clue how to use his size. He's like a st bernard that thinks he's yorkie trying to jump on laps.
:lol: