Raheem Morris

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Jojogunne

Raheem Morris

Post by Jojogunne »

Former Hofstra player Raheem Morris succeeded former Hofstra defensive coordinator Dan Quinn as head coach of the Atlanta Falcons today.

Quinn joined the Hofstra staff as defensive line coach in Morris's senior year (1996-97). When Quinn got the HC job at Atlanta in 2015, he hired Morris as DB coach.

https://sports.yahoo.com/falcons-announ ... 35742.html
Mikey77

Re: Raheem Morris

Post by Mikey77 »

The football program and legacy live on for a bit longer.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

It's just amazing that there were so many talented football players/coaches to come through the Hofstra program...there could and should have been many more...What a shame!
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

I am surprised there has not been an announcement on the GoHofstra website.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Program needs to come back one day post-Rab - we need a sports guy next time around, I still believe in big college football potential at HU. Just need the guy with the power to feel the same.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

Polito wrote:Program needs to come back one day post-Rab - we need a sports guy next time around, I still believe in big college football potential at HU. Just need the guy with the power to feel the same.
If football hypothetically wasn't cut in 2009 it surely probably would have been on chopping block when COVID-19 hit. As much as I would love football's return I don't think is realistic in today's higher education climate.
Polito

Post by Polito »

I get that, but don't see it exactly that way.

'Higher education' is under full attack, as it should be now that it has been exposed like never before. COVID has hit education hard, and it has brought to the forefront questioning of it's value in it's present form.

Disdain for gouging students and their families has grown leaps and bounds, many have and will continue to question whether it's really worth it... I see continued declining attendance, and therefore college sports will continue to be absolutely vital for education bottom lines everywhere. Less paying customers, less profit being made with less students on campuses, less of a lot of things simply means sports $ become a necessity.

LI will never be the south for college sports, but if this school put the proper money and commitment behind football, I do believe it can succeed here. It just hasn't ever gone all in (simple example, how can a college football program have no marching band?? literally never heard of such a thing except here lol), and that is definitely a requirement.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

Polito wrote:I get that, but don't see it exactly that way.

'Higher education' is under full attack, as it should be now that it has been exposed like never before. COVID has hit education hard, and it has brought to the forefront questioning of it's value in it's present form.

Disdain for gouging students and their families has grown leaps and bounds, many have and will continue to question whether it's really worth it... I see continued declining attendance, and therefore college sports will continue to be absolutely vital for education bottom lines everywhere. Less paying customers, less profit being made with less students on campuses, less of a lot of things simply means sports $ become a necessity.

LI will never be the south for college sports, but if this school put the proper money and commitment behind football, I do believe it can succeed here. It just hasn't ever gone all in (simple example, how can a college football program have no marching band?? literally never heard of such a thing except here lol), and that is definitely a requirement.

All great points. I think the way D1 football is structured hurt Hofstra in past and will also make it harder to justify trying to revive program. It would be a far easier sell if we would be competing at highest level of sport. FCS football fairly or unfairly just doesn't draw excitement, especially in a heavy pro sports market.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Polito wrote: Disdain for gouging students and their families has grown leaps and bounds, many have and will continue to question whether it's really worth it...
People who want jobs that require college have to go to college. The amount of students who go to college will go down if more people start their own business (possibly online) that does not require a license, degree, or to be hired.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

I can see more going by way of the trade schools. There is a shortage of Plumbers, electricians, carpenters, mechanics etc. No big debt and almost guaranteed a job as an apprentice position as soon as they graduate.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

The training is cheaper, but there are people who will feel like they wasted the work they did in high school if they choose a career with tools. On a related note, I read that one good thing for people who do repairs is that repairs must be physically done to the items, so the jobs can't be outsourced. Construction, gardening/lawn care, masonry/siding/roofing, painting, and HVAC also can't be outsourced.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Although I do see a continuing need for higher education of course, I think it needs to and will go through a reform. College enrollment is being hammered by the COVID impact, that is a fact. And there are companies now, some big names, that are no longer requiring degrees for employment - this would have been unimaginable just a few years ago. Some of that is from COVID, but some of that is because the new generations are questioning the value, finding other avenues, getting certifications instead, not wanting to have their lives ruined by debt, the lack of working in the field you spent a ton of dough on, etc.
Entrepreneurship is at an all-time high as well, which is fantastic.

And the financial impact of not having students on campus is HUGE. The declining attendance, and those that aren't ready to return, just means college athletics becomes that much more important to the bottom line. BUT this only really applies for the money makers, hoops and football. Those sports are a MUST now. The others are fully expendable, for better or worse.

I see the same re trades, this is a booming space and will likely continue to be - the less people doing it over the years has made those skills that much more valuable. And you note great points on the inability to outsource.

I can tell you one thing, the construction people on LI are making bank right now... busy morning and night 7 days a week. Turning away jobs. The housing market overall and the home remodeling market in particular here is insane! God bless them lol ain't a bad way to go nowadays!
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Remember the housing bubble the tech bubble well this now the Education bubble Lets see go to school fir four years and graduate with debt near 200k or go to trade school graduate with little to no debt and in 2 years making a 6 figure salary
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

The Shadow wrote:I am surprised there has not been an announcement on the GoHofstra website.
A Hofstra Athletics alum won the Stanley Cup, and it got some retweets and that's about it. Nothing on the website, nothing on Instagram, nothing from the University's social media channels. So, no, I'm not surprised there hasn't been an announcement on the GoHofstra site.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

There are only 32 NFL head coaches in the most followed sport in America. I would think HU would give some mention to an alumnus who has achieved that appointment for two franchises.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Yep, except this is a highlight from a program this U canned in a very shady way, and therefore causing much angst with it's people, like us. Doubtful they are going to do a lot of promotion about something related to a 'negative' aspect, sadly.

Although HU SHOULD promote the hell out of it IMO.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Polito wrote: Although I do see a continuing need for higher education of course, I think it needs to and will go through a reform. College enrollment is being hammered by the COVID impact, that is a fact. And there are companies now, some big names, that are no longer requiring degrees for employment - this would have been unimaginable just a few years ago. Some of that is from COVID, but some of that is because the new generations are questioning the value, finding other avenues, getting certifications instead, not wanting to have their lives ruined by debt, the lack of working in the field you spent a ton of dough on, etc.
Entrepreneurship is at an all-time high as well, which is fantastic.
Employees (and students who are future employees) and employers affect each other. Employers make qualifications (along with states for jobs that need licenses), but if employers combine to want X employees with a bachelors and the amount of people with a bachelors who want to work is less than X, employers have to employer fewer people or employ people who don't have a bachelors. Young adults choosing what education to get would benefit from making organizations or agreements between people agreeing to get the same amount of education just like some employees benefit from unions. Consumers also matter. The more consumers who are willing to pay somebody on Fiverr to do a service without caring about that person's education, the less need there is for people who provide that service to work for someone else or get a specific degree. In addition to people who start their own business online, it's possible to get famous without trying. Some people could be more productive choosing and knowing their customers and choosing how much work to do than having fixed hours and pleasing a boss.
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

Raheem back in the driver's seat in Atlanta, as he beats out Bill Belichick for the job. That puts us back at two Hofstra alums as head coaches in the four major sports.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Dallas Cowboys DC Dan Quinn has a Hofstra connection, too.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Good thing HU cut the sport. It was clearly not producing any returns. Can't even market it properly because it makes them look like complete fools for murdering it.

And now that the legend Jay Wright is done, this U and athletic department has only FOOTBALL people at the top of their game in the only two sports that produce any meaningful revenue or national relevance.

Congrats to Raheem - big time stuff, pulling for him to do big things!!!