MBB Game 16 @Northeastern, Jan 11 (Thu), 7 PM

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
EvanJ

Re: MBB Game 16 @Northeastern, Jan 11 (Thu), 7 PM

Post by EvanJ »

https://defiantlydutch.blogspot.com/202 ... stern.html is Jerry Beach's "I'll Be Quirky: Hofstra at Northeastern." I thought we were favored by 4.5 against Delaware, but Jerry says 5.5, so Delaware trailed for the last 37:46 and still covered, which made us 6-8 against the spread. It was the fourth time we won a game 76-71. Dubar is 10 points behind 40th in our career points.

https://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=486266 will have statistics. For now, it has rosters. Northeastern has nine guards, three forwards, and one center. The guards include Joe Pridgen, whose 5.7 rebounds are a lot for a guard. Here are team statistics with us followed by Northeastern:

Points per game: 75.9, 70.7
Field goal percentage: .465, .456
Three-point field goal percentage: .363, .311
Free throw percentage: .768, .752
Rebounds per game: 34.3, 33.3
Offensive rebounds per game: 8.5, 10.6
Blocks per game: 4.1, .30
Steals per game: 6.2, 6.1
Assists per game: 16.1, 13.7
Turnovers per game: 11.0, 13.2
Assists/turnovers: 1.47, 1.04

We lead in everything except offensive rebounds.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I think it's also apropos to mention that we give up 71.3 and they give up 74.1. They give up almost 4 points more then they score on average.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

That's relevant, but the statistics I listed came from StatBroadcast. When I post those eleven, I am not claiming that they are the most important statistics. They are just the quickest to find.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... 2/group/10 is tonight's scoreboard. Here are the predicted scores from the combination of line and over/under without rounding to whole numbers with the winning team listed first regardless of site:

William & Mary (1-1) 76, Hampton (0-3) 74.5
Towson (1-1) 66.5, Stony Brook (1-1) 62
UNCW (0-2) 76, Monmouth (2-0) 66.5
Hofstra (1-1) 73.5, Northeastern (0-2) 69
Charleston (2-0) 88, Elon (1-1) 71.5
Drexel (3-0) 77, North Carolina A&T (1-1) 62.5
Delaware (1-1) 73, Campbell (1-1) 65.5

The means are 75.7 for winning teams, 67.4 for losing teams, and 71.5 for all teams, meaning an over/under of 143 for the CAA. Road teams are favored in four of seven games, but Charleston is favored by enough that home teams are expected to outscore road teams by 2.5.
dutchPride86

Post by dutchPride86 »

Nothing ever changes. At some point may just have to accept this team is what it is... deeply flawed, frustrating, and consistently inconsistent.
Wags

Post by Wags »

I just don't get the bad starts. Even in our weekly Wed. night rec league, we learned and grew with no coaches. Every time we played someone the second time we did far better, or every time we started poorly in one game, we learned from our mistakes and we came back and started much better and played much better the next game. But this D-I team, with a head coach and four assistants, when Speedy has repeatedly emphasized avoiding the bad starts this season, comes out of the gate tonight as favorites and allows 10 straight to fall behind 10-2? Is the message just not getting through? Are the players not taking it to heart? Is the accountability lacking?

After they get it within four, they let Northeastern - Northeastern, not Charleston, not Drexel - close the half 17-2 to lead 42-23 at halftime? They played great for much of the second half in wiping out that 19-point deficit. But where is that team FROM THE OPENING TIP? How is this team already so many times not ready to start fast? Especially when they just did it and were up 10-3 against Delaware Saturday? Tonight, they get down 10-2. Script flipped from last game. I'm sure they prepared for Sakota just in case he was ready to go, and he's good player, but early on, they made Luka Sakota look like Luka Doncic. Forget the ending, that's where they lost the game. You have to be READY to play from the START.

Actually, let's not forget the ending. Out of a timeout with almost :19 left, the best they could do was a couple of passes up high leading to a forced Thomas 3 over two defenders? And with all that time, why even run it down and look for the 3? Why not extend the game? Plenty of time to get a quick 2 and foul there.

YET AGAIN, Thomas taking 15 3s? For a third straight game?! When he's only made 13 of those 45 3s (28.9%)?
15 3s attempted out of 26 shots, 15 3s attempted out of 26 shots again, and tonight, 15 3s attempted out of 23 shots.

Apparently, the main plan is to just let Thomas chuck 15 3s and pray he makes enough to pull out wins? He's more than capable of efficiently making mid-range shots and driving if he wants to and that would open up the 3 more for him anyway.

Thomas and they are capable of more than this. I just don't get the approach right now. Plenty of time left to course correct and there are SO many ebbs and flows throughout the conference in league play, who knows yet what the end of February will look like in the CAA, but like the way they've begun too many games this year, this too is a bad start at 1-2 and with the approach they're taking.

Speaking of bad starts, Delaware trailed at Campbell tonight, 16-2, but got within three at the half and won by six. So if Hofstra starts poorly again on Saturday there is hope in that one. But hopefully, they'll simply start the way they should. Would be refreshing.

I remember Mihlaich saying once that he had nice guys one season and it was hard to get on them, so he kind of coddled them, and then said that was the wrong approach, that maybe he did need to be a little tougher on them. I don't know, maybe that's the same thing here (and maybe not) since Speedy's a good guy and there are good guys through the roster. But maybe playing Campbell - a team they should beat easily, after these two early CAA losses - is the perfect time to start the bench until the first MTO. Maybe then it will sink in for the starters how important it is to be the team that's ready from the opening tip and to take the game to them before they take it to you.
mikey75

Post by mikey75 »

This is an unfocused immature team. German's ripping the ball from the NE player was just plain dumb and cost two points. Washington's stepping out on one of the last plays was too. There is a carelessness that I find more than irksome. We are getting killed on the boards and getting nothing from the bench. This team has not yet put two good half's together except for maybe High Point. Very disappointed so far.
Wags

Post by Wags »

I like these comments from Speedy on the game - notice the departure from the prior, "We'll be fine" or "I'm proud of my guys" (for battling back in the second half - which he can be proud of), but rather, the focus on expecting more - expecting a better start, expecting more respect for lesser (at least seemingly) opponents and for Thomas to play a full 40 minutes rather than easing into the game at some point later on. There's a theme of accountability here, but I think Speedy needs to push that button more rather than trusting his team to do that. He has to reel in Thomas' shot selection, especially the drastic imbalance in favor of 3s from him the last three games (and really for most of the season thus far) and after hearing on Speedy's comments about the lack of respect and lack of energy, I am even more sure about what I kicked around above, that benching the starters unto the first MTO at Campbell would be the best way to get his message across.

"We lost this game in the first half... you can't spot a team 19 points at halftime and expect to win."

"If we played the first half like we played the first half, we win this game easily."

"You try to tell these kids, 'You've got to respect everyone you play against no matter their record' and we did not respect Northeastern for whatever reason. I don't know why... to start the game, they didn't come out with any kind of life or energy and it's a shame because we had two really good days of practice and I thought we were going to come out here and handle business."

"Tyler's a good player but he's got to start the game out like that (like the second half). We can't get down double-digit points and then he decides he wants to play, It doesn't work like that. If you're going to be a First Team All-League [player], a candidate for Player of the Year, you have to bring it and you have to bring your teammates along with you as well."

The full postgame clip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhACv3pg8E0
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I didn't get to see this game kind of dumbfounded as to the way we lost and the fact that we lost. To be down by that many points in the first half is totally unacceptable obviously but not only did we shoot poorly our D wasn't exactly lock down. In the end looking at stats we scored 8 points under our average to a team that gives up a lot of points. How do we get out rebounded by 15 rebounds?? Our poor shooting helped as we only had 5 O rebounds with all of our misses. 6 points from our bench to their 28. Speaking volumes it really comes down to 3 guys on this team most of the time since we get little contributions from Fritz and Washington more often then not and this was a NOT game for those two. When this happens we are vulnerable to lose a close game. I wonder if this is our rock bottom moment our wake up call or does this kind of become the Jekyll and Hyde nature of this team. I could point to the sell out crowd making the difference but "972" people don't think made any difference. Very disappointing sorry for those who actually watched this debacle.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Like has been said here do you turn to something so drastic as to start your bench against Campbell as a statement to the starters or maybe we become an Iona type team that presses more generating turnovers and offense. Again where are our back up bench offensive players? Farmer and Robinson is that it.. We thought we would see more of Barrouk but under this cloud of secrecy we don't know the status of quite a few players on this roster. At this stage of the season we have to conclude that Parnell is a red-shirt just another player who we'll have to wait and see on?
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

I'm sure the grossness of this game has been plenty discussed. One silver lining was that Carlos shot and scored the way they need him to (although a few trips to the free throw line would have been nice too).
Polito

Post by Polito »

JC did play well, kid was fighting to help his team win. Would've been nice to have had Dubar too... oh wait, he played, just wore an invisibility coat, my bad. Can't pick on just him though, team game after all. TT played better, just a poor shooter. How about recognize and ACT on the double teams to find the open guy, instead of trying to dribble through missing the chance completely after they switch back?? Fundamentals.

I'm just about done analyzing this team. Seen enough. Will give it the formality of 3 more games before calling it until the CAAT. This might be the worst HU team in about a decade. They look poorly coached, limited in talent, and bad strategy STILL lingering. Nit picking but I don't like their demeanor on the floor either - constantly hands up in confusion, often sulking looking frustrated, dejected, defeated.

Speedy's shine is dimming a bit here. I'm not 'down' on him, good fit for HU, but this is a garbage product in year 3 - he's not 'great' until he proves it. So far this year he's got a D at best. Only so much more he's going to be able to sell his past success from 20 years ago. He may know how to get to the league, but he hasn't sent anyone there yet, and doesn't have anyone on this team even close to sniffing a look.

His comments are spot on. But WAY late. It's about damn time we hear some truth and frustration instead of the nonsensical sunshine pumping trying to cover things up. Should've been more honest and urgent about addressing the glaring issues WEEKS ago. This teams shooting ability has been exposed. Continuing to say they're good shooters or they'll be fine just makes them look foolish - fans aren't stupid, we see the games and can read a stat sheet.

Same BS every game. Groundhog day. Zero improvement - if anything, regression. They are infuriating to watch. It's not good basketball.
Comebacks aren't exciting nor desired when they happen every game because you suck for most of it. All year they play well for 10 min, and look like dog poo for the other 30. Closer to the bottom than the top right now.

I am truly shocked that this is the kind of team Speedy would produce in year 3. Baffling. And Concerning. Meanwhile, at CofC in year 2...
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

What's becoming more and more evident on these boards is that there's a lack of interest with fewer postings by regulars. The play of this team has taken a lot of wind out of our sails. I get it frustrating and disappointing so far but I'm far from throwing in the towel just yet. There's a lot of basketball to be played hoping they can get the T back into team.
Wags

Post by Wags »

cactus wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 5:33 pm I'm sure the grossness of this game has been plenty discussed. One silver lining was that Carlos shot and scored the way they need him to (although a few trips to the free throw line would have been nice too).
And followed this up with a horrid shooting game, taking too many 3s, which he normally can't make (why does this team not play to the strengths it has instead of insisting on playing to ones that are a mirage)?

Another silver lining (though not for Hofstra) is this win on Thursday along with Northeastern's win today (Saturday) moved Bill Coen into a tie with Larranaga for most league wins all-time.
gacoug

Post by gacoug »

HUSID80 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 3:02 pm Checked Northeastern's forum

Is there a NU forum besides the one that they have behind a paywall?
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

gacoug wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:23 am
HUSID80 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 3:02 pm Checked Northeastern's forum

Is there a NU forum besides the one that they have behind a paywall?
Yes go to CSNbbs, then go to CAA. Most teams don't post much but Northeastern, UNCW, Drexel and W&M do.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Wags wrote:
cactus wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 5:33 pm I'm sure the grossness of this game has been plenty discussed. One silver lining was that Carlos shot and scored the way they need him to (although a few trips to the free throw line would have been nice too).
And followed this up with a horrid shooting game, taking too many 3s, which he normally can't make (why does this team not play to the strengths it has instead of insisting on playing to ones that are a mirage)?

Another silver lining (though not for Hofstra) is this win on Thursday along with Northeastern's win today (Saturday) moved Bill Coen into a tie with Larranaga for most league wins all-time.
Shot selection needs to be better and he needs to be more aggressive looking to score, sometimes earlier in the shot clock, like he was in this game. A bad game does not negate them needing more points from him on a regular basis.

Wags

Post by Wags »

cactus wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:49 pm
Wags wrote:

Shot selection needs to be better and he needs to be more aggressive looking to score, sometimes earlier in the shot clock, like he was in this game. A bad game does not negate them needing more points from him on a regular basis.
They need his points, but the same for him as with Thomas - if it's not scoring efficiently (like Dubar has normally done), it's not going to help them enough. Doing everything you said - earlier in the shot clock, driving aggressively, better shot selection in general - but still pass first for him and even more so than Thomas, not forcing, but getting shots and scoring within the flow of the offense (which could be helped if they ALL moved the ball and moved without the ball more). Make the defense work a little bit rather than making it easy on them with the dribble, dribble, dribble, step-back, contested jumper (Thomas, not Carlos, mainly on that, but for all of their shooters, really).