MBB Game 14 Charleston, Jan 4 (Thu), 7 PM

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
cactus
Site Admin

Re: MBB Game 14 Charleston, Jan 4 (Thu), 7 PM

Post by cactus »

Wags wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:04 pm
cactus wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:30 pm thomas is way more efficient as the 2nd option, when the defense isn't keyed in on him. don't think dubar can be the #1 guy, and defenses are going to gameplan to stop thomas first regardless. they have two #2's and no #1, and no one else who can score in double digits consistently (although robinson has potential to be a #1 guy). not a recipe for success. someone else has to step up so thomas isn't forcing so many shots, but who? he did that at times last year earlier in the season too, but learned to play with estrada and take his shots within the offense - squared up, in rhythm, limit the 28 foot heaves, etc... the difference last year was that even though you might have been considered thomas the #1 in some games, defenses game planned for estrada - and rutgers didn't treat thomas as estrada when he fouled out. this year with teams game planning for thomas he's going the opposite direction - forcing more off-balance shots as the season wears on.
Estrada in 2021-22: 1.23 PPS (1.08 PPS without FT)
Estrada in 2023-23: 1.25 PPS (1.10 PPS without FT)
Thomas in 2023-24: 1.17 PPS (1.05 PPS without FT)
Dubar in 2023-24: 1.40 PPS (1.25 PPS without FT)

Are we certain Dubar can't be a #1 option this year?

At the very least if it is two #2s, play accordingly - even out the shot attempts for Thomas and Dubar and get others involved more because Thomas shooting 41% this year and getting the bulk of the shots isn't working unless he either becomes more efficient or some of those shots are given to Dubar or others who are more efficient.

They also miss Estrada defensively. He could be very disruptive with steals and helping the whole unit with his defense and communication.
the best path forward i think is start plotnikov and make robinson the 6 man, spell carlos more, and tell all 3 of those guys to shoot. lets see if any of those guys can step up and give them another reliable option where defenses get hurt selling out on thomas. washington hasn't come close to doing that yet.
Wags

Post by Wags »

cactus wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:43 pm
Wags wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:04 pm
cactus wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:30 pm thomas is way more efficient as the 2nd option, when the defense isn't keyed in on him. don't think dubar can be the #1 guy, and defenses are going to gameplan to stop thomas first regardless. they have two #2's and no #1, and no one else who can score in double digits consistently (although robinson has potential to be a #1 guy). not a recipe for success. someone else has to step up so thomas isn't forcing so many shots, but who? he did that at times last year earlier in the season too, but learned to play with estrada and take his shots within the offense - squared up, in rhythm, limit the 28 foot heaves, etc... the difference last year was that even though you might have been considered thomas the #1 in some games, defenses game planned for estrada - and rutgers didn't treat thomas as estrada when he fouled out. this year with teams game planning for thomas he's going the opposite direction - forcing more off-balance shots as the season wears on.
Estrada in 2021-22: 1.23 PPS (1.08 PPS without FT)
Estrada in 2023-23: 1.25 PPS (1.10 PPS without FT)
Thomas in 2023-24: 1.17 PPS (1.05 PPS without FT)
Dubar in 2023-24: 1.40 PPS (1.25 PPS without FT)

Are we certain Dubar can't be a #1 option this year?

At the very least if it is two #2s, play accordingly - even out the shot attempts for Thomas and Dubar and get others involved more because Thomas shooting 41% this year and getting the bulk of the shots isn't working unless he either becomes more efficient or some of those shots are given to Dubar or others who are more efficient.

They also miss Estrada defensively. He could be very disruptive with steals and helping the whole unit with his defense and communication.
the best path forward i think is start plotnikov and make robinson the 6 man, spell carlos more, and tell all 3 of those guys to shoot. lets see if any of those guys can step up and give them another reliable option where defenses get hurt selling out on thomas. washington hasn't come close to doing that yet.
Plotnikov and Robinson, yes (especially Robinson). Both are also capable of attacking the rim besides hitting from the perimeter.
Carlos, when the looks are open (although he did hit that one well-contested 3 at the first half buzzer last night), otherwise he should be driving to score, get fouled or to draw the D and kick. Can't just tell them to shoot though, have to run the offense with movement (the ball and players) and more screens to get those guys and everyone (Thomas and Dubar included) more open looks. It's not merely a matter of giving others green lights or encouraging them to shoot more. They have to run a style of offense that puts everyone in the best spots to succeed offensively rather than... dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble, force a tough 3 late in the clock. They actually started to do some of that later in the first half last night, and no surprise, that was when they turned it around from that bad start to get within two by halftime.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

yes, a lot of dribbling and 1 on 1 yesterday. and i'm not suggesting they just shoot whenever they touch the ball, but be more aggressive looking for shots, don't pass up good looks, etc.

they need more points from carlos, whether it be shooting more from the outside or trying to finish at the rim instead of curling back or continuing under the rim and passing out.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

Jordan wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:01 pm Anyone else find it odd that the College of Charleston assistant coach was yelling during our free throws?

"Octagon! Octagon! Octagon!"

Never seen that before. Pretty rude imo. It's not like it changed the outcome of the game, we were ice cold end of that second half, but still, let's see some class COC.
Yes. JV move. He is a little punk.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Agree with pretty much all the comments here. And agree the CofC dude was a bozo. This game was a pitiful showing, and validated every concern I’ve had - I am extremely disappointed in the staff.

I put this squarely on their shoulders. They’ve ignored the warning signs for weeks if not months at this point, and here we are. The delusions about this team need to go away now as does the “we’ll be fine” nonsense as the team continues to flounder, lose, and look bad doing so.

If they don’t make changes now, we can chalk this season up. Time to see a different starting lineup today. No clue what the coaching pow wow was about but they probably should’ve done whatever that was a lot sooner. Only tells me they know this is bad situation and getting worse.

I’m not ‘down’ on Speedy, but this is where all the “great” coach kudos need to chill until we see it proven. He has no POY savior this time, and he is really up against it for the first true time. His guards look terrible and his team has regressed.

The optics on TV were also bad - staff and bench looking lost confused frustrated and defeated. Not impressed at all.

Thomas is a great young man, hard worker, but he is hurting the team at this point. Thought he could be #1. Proved me wrong. Cactus called it well, two 2’s and no 3rd.

Dubar is a stud and the only dog on this team. If they don’t get this fixed he will be high risk to portal after the season.

No post game, with nearly every play in the paint ending with Fritz getting bullied and beat and a wth just happened face. Team can’t shoot, can’t dribble, missed FTs, and plays garbage half’s. Like I’ve said can’t win playing well 10 min a game, even in the CAA.

Only one conf game, but the issues have been a trend for nearly 2 months now. I don’t see enough talent or answers from the staff.

I think this team could be in BIG trouble. As wags says, 5 more games and it’s go or no-go.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Polito wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 11:07 am Agree with pretty much all the comments here. And agree the CofC dude was a bozo. This game was a pitiful showing, and validated every concern I’ve had - I am extremely disappointed in the staff.

I put this squarely on their shoulders. They’ve ignored the warning signs for weeks if not months at this point, and here we are. The delusions about this team need to go away now as does the “we’ll be fine” nonsense as the team continues to flounder, lose, and look bad doing so.

If they don’t make changes now, we can chalk this season up. Time to see a different starting lineup today. No clue what the coaching pow wow was about but they probably should’ve done whatever that was a lot sooner. Only tells me they know this is bad situation and getting worse.

I’m not ‘down’ on Speedy, but this is where all the “great” coach kudos need to chill until we see it proven. He has no POY savior this time, and he is really up against it for the first true time. His guards look terrible and his team has regressed.

The optics on TV were also bad - staff and bench looking lost confused frustrated and defeated. Not impressed at all.

Thomas is a great young man, hard worker, but he is hurting the team at this point. Thought he could be #1. Proved me wrong. Cactus called it well, two 2’s and no 3rd.

Dubar is a stud and the only dog on this team. If they don’t get this fixed he will be high risk to portal after the season.

No post game, with nearly every play in the paint ending with Fritz getting bullied and beat and a wth just happened face. Team can’t shoot, can’t dribble, missed FTs, and plays garbage half’s. Like I’ve said can’t win playing well 10 min a game, even in the CAA.

Only one conf game, but the issues have been a trend for nearly 2 months now. I don’t see enough talent or answers from the staff.

I think this team could be in BIG trouble. As wags says, 5 more games and it’s go or no-go.
I shudder to think what you would post if you WEREN'T A FAN!!!
Polito

Post by Polito »

Hehe - oh hogwash, I'm behaving, that's light weight for me! This is as good as it's gettin right now HUSID, so I stand by all I've said! 8-)

We BLEED it, blue and gold! When the staff and team deserve the criticism, they should get it. When they earn the kudos, they should get it. They can handle it. Shoot my little sporty 9 and 10 yo girls can handle more truth and expectation than that, and do!! They go out there to take souls LOL Wifey and I aren't raising any softies, I can tell you that :D A rarity in society today it seems... but, I digress!

P.S.

The embarrassing and obvious overprotection of Speedy in post-games by his "handler" is the next thing I'll undress one day. But I'll save that spicy topic for a quiet period when I'm feeling a little extra... :P