Jojogunne

Re: Men's Soccer 2023

Post by Jojogunne »

Congratulations to our men's coaching staff:

https://gohofstra.com/news/2023/12/2/me ... award.aspx
Polito

Post by Polito »

Met Coach Nuttall at the hoops game the other night (thanks HUSID!), and the guy is awesome - just like his team, super polite appreciative and respectful. Class act. He and his team were honored at halftime, and as I've said, they are EASY to root for. Great kids, staff, and program.

Had a cool brief chat about the season and UNC - safe to say all want another crack - HU was and is the better team - this is a top 10 program this year, and I'm pretty excited to see them perhaps find a way to be even better next year. Not easy, but with that HOF coach, it's possible.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

Polito wrote:Met Coach Nuttall at the hoops game the other night (thanks HUSID!), and the guy is awesome - just like his team, super polite appreciative and respectful. Class act. He and his team were honored at halftime, and as I've said, they are EASY to root for. Great kids, staff, and program.

Had a cool brief chat about the season and UNC - safe to say all want another crack - HU was and is the better team - this is a top 10 program this year, and I'm pretty excited to see them perhaps find a way to be even better next year. Not easy, but with that HOF coach, it's possible.
Well said and completely agree about him being a class act in addition to a legendary coach. We lose some key talent from this year’s team but Nuttall always has a knack for finding talent, especially overseas. It was great to hear him say this year’s run has generated some great recruiting interest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Oregon State beat UNC 1-0 yesterday.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Jojogunne wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:09 pm Oregon State beat UNC 1-0 yesterday.
We SHOULD be in the Final Four! We know we can now do it...Looking forward to next year!
Wags

Post by Wags »

The College Cup includes 9 vs. 5 (Clemson vs. West Virginia) and an unseeded team vs. a seemingly weak 2 seed that advanced on PKs the past two rounds (Oregon State vs. Notre Dame).

The year before, it was two unseeded teams, a 13 and a 3, with 3 beating 13 for the title on PKs.

It seems that just by the nature of the sport relative to other sports, men's soccer is wide open and if you can get in the tournament and play well, it doesn't matter if you have a low seed or if you're unseeded, you can have a legit shot at competing for the whole thing.

If it's like that again next year, even more of a reason for HU to compete and go as far as some of these other teams have the past two years.
Wags

Post by Wags »

The two most recent CAA men's soccer POY's, Carmichael (selected by Miami with the 24th overall pick in Round 1) and Goldthorp (selected by Vancouver with the 45th overall pick in Round 2), are MLS bound.
JoeyBagODonuts1

Post by JoeyBagODonuts1 »

Wags wrote:The two most recent CAA men's soccer POY's, Carmichael (selected by Miami with the 24th overall pick in Round 1) and Goldthorp (selected by Vancouver with the 45th overall pick in Round 2), are MLS bound.
Is that our 1st ever MLS first round pick?

Sent from my moto g 5G (2022) using Tapatalk

Hofstra Football. Undefeated since 2009!
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Congrats to both Carmichael and Goldthorp! Great players, well deserved!
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

They were the fourth and fifth Europeans drafted. The only other CAA player drafted was UNCW's Pep Casas, who was 61st. Goldthorp was a Wikipedia page, but Carmichael does not.

Carmichael could be teammates with Lionel Messi, who came to MLS in July and became the first player to win the Ballon d'Or (world player of the year) while in MLS. Inter Miami also has Jordi Alba and Sergio Busquets, who were teammates with Messi on FC Barcelona. Inter Miami has DeAndre Yedlin, who is tied for the 27th most career games for the United States Men's National Team (USMNT) with 81, which is the most among active players; Kamal Miller, who plays for Canada; Leonardo Campana, who has 15 games for Ecuador at age 23; and Cameron Johnson, a 19-year-old Costa Rican who shares his name with a basketball player who scored 1,134 points for Charleston from 2014-2015 through 2017-2018.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Wait, does this mean Eliot is gone??? Thought he had another year left, no?
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

Polito wrote:Wait, does this mean Eliot is gone??? Thought he had another year left, no?
Unfortunately he decided to leave early. I had a bad feeling this would happen when I saw he was included in senior day festivities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Polito

Post by Polito »

Uuugghhhh noooo! Aahhhh that stinks (for us lol) Congrats to him of course certainly well earned!

But man this really puts a huge damper on next season - I was pegging is for a potential repeat performance if not better, this changes things big time sadly.

We’ll see who they bring in but this is a monster blow

Man guys cmon this thread didn’t even make note of this, I mean sheez lol I’m sitting reading all the kudos haha sure super for those two guys happy for them but this sucks for our team next year!

(Thanks for confirming HP1)