The CAA is now the CAA

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
JoeyBagODonuts1

Re: The CAA is now the CAA

Post by JoeyBagODonuts1 »

slightly off topic, but bringing it back around to the topic, the conference issued a press release today announcing that both the Men's and Women's basketball tournaments will be in Washington DC the next 4 years. The press release only refers to the conference as the CAA.
Hofstra Football. Undefeated since 2009!
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

stuball888 wrote:The CAA just added three historically black colleges to the conference
They had to drop colonial as to not offend these three new members
I don’t have a problem with that, but it hot as wags said, at least be honest about it
The CAA’s foot print was larger several years ago when we had the Georgia state as a member
The term colonial was to represent the original 13 colonies
The CAA was always a coastal conference
Unless I’m missing something isn’t it two and not three HBCUs, Hampton and NC A&T? They also tried to add Howard and they stayed in Mideast although maybe they eventually also join.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wags

Post by Wags »

JoeyBagODonuts1 wrote:slightly off topic, but bringing it back around to the topic, the conference issued a press release today announcing that both the Men's and Women's basketball tournaments will be in Washington DC the next 4 years. The press release only refers to the conference as the CAA.
Same thread, three post prior (it apparently went unnoticed).
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Sorry it is two but yes the CAA is trying to get Howard in
It not rocket science but the readon for the name change is in plain sight
The Big East didnt change their name when they added midwest teams
The Big Ten didn’t change their name when they went well over 10 teams
JoeyBagODonuts1

Post by JoeyBagODonuts1 »

Wags wrote:
JoeyBagODonuts1 wrote:slightly off topic, but bringing it back around to the topic, the conference issued a press release today announcing that both the Men's and Women's basketball tournaments will be in Washington DC the next 4 years. The press release only refers to the conference as the CAA.
Same thread, three post prior (it apparently went unnoticed).
Sorry Wags, I missed that part of your post.

Sent from my moto g 5G (2022) using Tapatalk
Hofstra Football. Undefeated since 2009!
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

stuball888 wrote:Sorry it is two but yes the CAA is trying to get Howard in
It not rocket science but the readon for the name change is in plain sight
The Big East didnt change their name when they added midwest teams
The Big Ten didn’t change their name when they went well over 10 teams
1000% and if anything changing CAA name would have made more sense when they added Georgia State in 2005. As soon as GW got rid of Colonials nickname I knew was just a matter of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

I dislike being the one to correct our American History but, the 13 original colonies were: 1) Georgia, 2) South Carolina, 3) North Carolina, 4) Virginia, 5) Maryland, 6) Delaware, 7) Pennsylvania, 8) New Jersey, 9) New York, 10) Connecticut, 11) Rhode Island, 12) Massachusetts, 13) New Hampshire. Maine was part of the Massachusetts Colony. All the member colleges in the CAA and CAA Football fit into these states. I also believe that if the name change is offensive to some institutions, alter it. I still think it is better than the Big 10, Big 12, Big East, Pac 12, SEC, MVC, etc. that no longer make any sense, except in the name of tradition. I'm with our friend Polito, whatever you name it, just get a championship banner!
Polito

Post by Polito »

Amen, let’s win titles!!!

Don’t mind the DC location, probably one of the better options really. Fine with any of the midpoint locales. As long as it’s not in Richmond or someone’s backyard like Charleston. Great spot to visit but not proper for the conf as a whole.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Polito wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 1:16 pm Amen, let’s win titles!!!

Don’t mind the DC location, probably one of the better options really. Fine with any of the midpoint locales. As long as it’s not in Richmond or someone’s backyard like Charleston. Great spot to visit but not proper for the conf as a whole.
The only problem with the DC location is the surrounding area and lack of things to do within walking distance of the arena. That's why Baltimore was better. But in terms of being a central location for all conference members and in terms of the arena size for the CAA and the sightlines for fans to watch the tournament in D.C., it's a great fit.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

So now the ACC might add 2 PAC 10 teams
so let me get this straight. The Atlantic coast conference is adding to teams from the West Coast and it will still be called the Atlantic coast conference
Gee that makes a lot of sense
mikey75

Post by mikey75 »

Quite simple Stu, for the right amount of money geographical accuracy is not relevant.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Def fair on location, not sure there is a 'perfect' spot for the CAA in that regard, but as far as geography I guess, DC and Baltimore, 6 of one...

What's happening in the college landscape right now is monumental, and will completely change college sports. As a Hokie guy I follow the realignment circus closely. Right now the ACC brass is desperately trying to stay together because the top football schools want to exit and get on the B1G or SEC money train - but they can't do that easily due to a tv rights contract, so there is a lot of posturing going on. There is a HUGE disparity in media dollars in the P5, and that's why this is happening - schools are fighting to survive and compete. NIL of course a big factor, but it's more than that. This was going to happen regardless, that just sped it up IMO.

The PAC-12 is done due to poor leadership (ahem, CAA), and the ACC will dissolve one day as well - writing is on the wall, it's just a matter of time. Shame for all those who really love the tradition and rivalries - all going kaput. Many believe the P2-P3 conferences will end up breaking away from the NCAA, perhaps for football only, and create their own league. And leave the rest to the NCAA - but who knows really.

As far as HU and the CAA, TBD how this will all trickle down to mid majors... but it will, in a big way. It will impact mid major football programs, hoops only programs (i.e. the A10), on and on. And we need strong leadership to navigate through the waters. I'm pretty confident the CAA won't exist in a few years, at least not in its present form. This is like a nuclear explosion. Wild times.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

CAA just added Bryant for football...don't know if anyone left.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Bryant used to be in the Northeast Conference, but they moved to the America East, which doesn't exist in Football, and were geographically out of place in the Big South-OVC Football Association. Nobody left, and CAA Football will have 16 teams starting in 2024.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

I will trade Hampton for Bryant any day of the week
Solid basketball and lacrosse programs
They are a better fit for the CAA and Hofstra
They also would be a nice travel partner for Northeastern
Polito

Post by Polito »

Have to agree on those points, Bryant seems better than Hampton. Or A&T for that matter. Weak adds, and hard to justify from any real athletic reason. Bryant does act like they care about sports, and seem to be willing to invest in it. Pretty important factor in a sports conference...

Although I have ZERO interest in any more BS expansion of the CAA from a hoops perspective - replacement, sure, adds no thanks.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

As weak as this conference is collectively we recruit never ending top tier talent that moves on to star in P5 conferences. Take a look at the projected top 25 teams. Number 1 team Kansas has Nick Timberlake projected to start on this team, #4 Michigan State has Tyson Walker as a starting guard on that team and of course our very own Aaron Estrada projected to start for Alabama projected as the number 22. Not too shabby for a weakly rated conference. https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... l-rankings
Polito

Post by Polito »

Yeah it's pretty wild tc - this conf really does have excellent individual talent, and has developed a rep for that over the years. I am really hoping AE balls out at 'Bama, will be a great recruiting tool for HU.

The thing with the CAA is that the high level play is only individual based, the large portion of the conf teams absolutely stink and have zero national relevance or appeal. It is also a very top heavy league, so that strong talent isn't really the "CAA", it's really typically with only about 3-4-ish teams, and the rest are a joke.

Add on to that the CAA hasn't made nearly enough noise in the NCAAT, and it makes for tough sledding. This conf is pretty terrible from a national perspective - only a couple of teams win any big regular season games, so the success is very individual vs the overall conf - it's not really "terrible", but unfortunately for the things that matter it is. And that's why it can't hold on to its collective talent. What top flight player would want to stay in a one bid zero respect one and done league? Very little incentive, and all the reasons to bolt.

What HU has done in largely retaining its players, and what CofC is doing in recruiting, are tremendous testaments to their respective coaching staffs - it's unheard of throughout the rest of the league, and in most low to mid level conferences.

The best thing HU can do is work their butts off to become consistently dominant akin to an Iona or Vermont - the onesy twosy stuff ain't gonna cut it as the landscape shifts. HU needs to make itself a "household" name like they've done by being in the dance most years. CofC will be in the way, but Kelsey won't be long for the Cougers with another year or two of success. HU has to be very vigilant and opportunistic to take every advantage possible and be top dog.