Watching HU Sports without Cable

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Jojogunne

Watching HU Sports without Cable

Post by Jojogunne »

How easy or difficult is it to watch MBB and other sports without a traditional cable TV subscription? I still have cable, but am thinking about "cutting the cord." I can stream ProHoops from my phone to my TV, but what about other channels where we may have games, such as SNY and MSG? Thanks.
cactus
Site Admin

Re: Watching HU Sports without Cable

Post by cactus »

live sports is what keeps cable in business.
hofstra is very rarely on those channels - flosports has a lot of the games.

I have used hulu + live TV for the last 5 years. it's gone up in price a few times, not much of a savings anymore, but still way more convenient than cable. no cable boxes and can watch tv on my phone anywhere. boring family event on a football sunday? game is on in my pocket. it has ESPN and SNY and lots of college football, if you're into that. only the att/direct tv service has YES and MSG and it's expensive. downsides are there's a 15-20 second delay on live sports feeds and for the other games you can't get your only options are shady sites like streameast or reddit streams and training yourself on dodging ads.

for real savings you can also do streaming only (netflix, disney, hulu, etc.) plus over the air channels (cbs, nbc, fox, abc, wb11, pbs) for your live TV which you can still get with an antenna but then you wouldn't have SNY or ESPN for sports.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Thanks, Cactus!
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

I watch sports mostly on the computer, but I can't imagine giving up TV. For many sports websites including ESPN, you can only watch online if you are logged in to a TV provider that you get those channels on. If you give up cable, and Hofstra is on an ESPN channel at Duke, in the NIT, or any other time, you can't watch unless you have an alternate provider that includes the channel. ESPN channels are ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPNews (which occasionally has games), ESPN Classic (which does not have games), ESPN Deportes (Spanish), ACC Network, SEC Network, and Longhorn Sports Network (University of Texas). Paying for ESPN Plus does not include ESPN TV channels. Now that I can't watch every New York Giants game in Nebraska, NFL RedZone is important to me. I pay for FloSports for part of the year, ESPN Plus, MLB.TV to watch the Yankees, Peacock Premium (NBC), and Paramount Plus (CBS). Common things I do not use are movie channels, Netflix, Hulu, Disney Plus, and devices like Roku.
Captain

Post by Captain »

Maybe off topic but doesn't HU now have a relationship with MSG starting this fall.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Yep, broadcast partnership, will have a few games on this year!

By the way, that right there, securing some games on TV outside of the CAA's inept leadership, was HUGE - absolutely needed to be done, really happy they took this action, and hope to see more. This gives me some much needed faith that HU might actually understand that they need to focus on HU in order to elevate this athletic dept to where it needs to be.

If HU relies on the CAA we'll be sunk after all of this conf realignment stuff and the ncaa itself blows up lol.