Men's Lacrosse 2023

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Jojogunne

Re: Men's Lacrosse 2023

Post by Jojogunne »

The Hens won the CAA tournament, but our league did not get much love from the NCAA tournament committee. UD has to host the play-in game this Wednesday vs. Marist. The winner will face #1 seeded Duke on Sunday:

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/other-s ... ecbit5ansq
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

How's that for a slap in the face!! They are ranked 26th.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

And yet we can't even qualify for the CAA Tournament...Sad!
Captain

Post by Captain »

Delaware reached the final 8 last year. This is a good and experienced team. Beat Marist and then Duke and the CAA may get noticed.
IF they play Duke this in no cupcake of a game for Duke.
mikey75

Post by mikey75 »

Was on a men's lax website shortly after the NCAA finals. It listed Hofstra as one of the worst D1 programs. My God how did it come to this?
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

This is probably why we can't recruit the necessary players to get us back to relevancy. ??
JoeyBagODonuts1

Post by JoeyBagODonuts1 »

We were ranked #2 in the country before John Danowski left.

Sent from my moto g 5G (2022) using Tapatalk
Hofstra Football. Undefeated since 2009!
mikey75

Post by mikey75 »

Would love to here what Tierney and Metzger have to say, this is on them in my view.
dutchalum01

Post by dutchalum01 »

mikey75 wrote:Would love to here what Tierney and Metzger have to say, this is on them in my view.
If AD’s hands are tied. Couldn’t agree more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Ok lets look at the season we just had
I am only stating facts here
The CAA was incredibly weak this season
Other than Delaware all the other teams were ranked in the lower half of all D1 schools
there are 76 D-1 schools in mens lacrosse
The 76th team is Hartford who due to lack of funding played zero D1 opponents this year and is not in any conference
That leaves 75 teams left
#41 Towson
#42 Drexel
#43 SBU
#57 Fairfield
#58 Hofstra
#59 Monmouth
#75 Hampton
Of the local teams only #58 LIU and #61 St johns are worse than us
There is no reason why Hofstra should not be in the top 25
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Edit LIU was #68
dutchalum01

Men's Lacrosse 2023

Post by dutchalum01 »

What’s more likely at this point; Tierney steps down or Tierney gets let go? The only way Hofstra regains stature is Tierney retiring or moving to another program (which is unlikely). I don’t see anything changing, and possibly falling further if something drastic doesn’t happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mikey75

Post by mikey75 »

58 out of 76 ain't nothing to brag on Stu. With Hofstra's facilities, location, and lacrosse legacy HU should consistently be in the top 25 with an off year falling to 30.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Mikey was not bragging
We should never be out of the top 40 even in a rebuilding year
The fact that 7 out of 8 teams in the CAA are in the bottom half of mens lacrosse speaks volume of how far we and this conference has fallen
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

According to FanLax, goalie Max May (Hewlett HS) from Muhlenberg is transferring to HU for his 5th year.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Dutchflid, if you are still around, wanted to say:

A) that funny story post you made at the end of the season was fantastic, got a nice lol from me :D
B) congrats to you and your son, should be proud of having a D1 athlete and an HU grad
C) we have our differences, but I always appreciated your parent perspective and lax insight
D) please thank your son for his commitment and efforts, honorable to hear about his steadfast decision - and it is ALWAYS great to have more HU fans, I hope you continue to visit us and root on the Dutch/Pride!
E) very glad to hear that ST is a standup man when it comes to caring for the student athletes - I do not discount or devalue the importance of this

And finally...

F) this letter is not a coincidence, although great to hear he is a good dude, which even I have said he likely is, he's not the 'Head Coach of Friendship'. He is here to produce a winning HU Lax program (on the field) AND do so while leading young men to be quality students and citizens (off the field). He has failed miserably 'on the field' for most of over a decade. Not gonna cut it.

Wow, how amazing that UD went that far - impossible!! I've been told mid majors can't compete anymore in this landscape, it's 'too hard' - lol. Strangely, every single year other mid majors are navigating the sport just fine, play well, get ranked, and make the NCAAT. Must've been voodoo magic for a fellow conf member and HU rival to prove all the excuse-making to be bogus.

Or maybe just actual quality coaching and leadership. Naaahhhh... definitely dark magic.

dutchalum01, unfortunately I do not see either scenario. Considering how long this been allowed to continue, I highly doubt ST is pushed out, and he seems perfectly content to ride this cush job out until he chooses to retire or move on at his own discretion. This admin has been completely neutered to do anything about this. Cole is powerless, and Metzger has put his ego and one person above an entire legacy program. And HU seems to have honored that likely due to his donation power (I get it), and therefore proving they do not put priority on the program, only on keeping those two happy. I see ZERO urgency at HU to fix this. Z E R O.

It's disgusting and shameful. And it's not how a successful athletic department is run.
mikey75

Post by mikey75 »

The situation with the men's lax program is very troubling and as Politio and others have pointed out Cole et al seem completely oblivious to the situation. Why that is I can only guess. The stature of the program has clearly diminished as have the crowds. Smaller crowds, fewer to no AA's, diminished schedule, fewer CAA tournament appearances, let alone NCAA appearances. There's not a a lot to shout about here. So I suspect that's why we are hearing that ST and JM are jolly good fellows more frequently and I'm sure they are but this program is in for further decline which is very sad given its history.
Dutchflid

Post by Dutchflid »

Polito wrote:Dutchflid, if you are still around, wanted to say:

A) that funny story post you made at the end of the season was fantastic, got a nice lol from me :D
B) congrats to you and your son, should be proud of having a D1 athlete and an HU grad
C) we have our differences, but I always appreciated your parent perspective and lax insight
D) please thank your son for his commitment and efforts, honorable to hear about his steadfast decision - and it is ALWAYS great to have more HU fans, I hope you continue to visit us and root on the Dutch/Pride!
E) very glad to hear that ST is a standup man when it comes to caring for the student athletes - I do not discount or devalue the importance of this

And finally...

F) this letter is not a coincidence, although great to hear he is a good dude, which even I have said he likely is, he's not the 'Head Coach of Friendship'. He is here to produce a winning HU Lax program (on the field) AND do so while leading young men to be quality students and citizens (off the field). He has failed miserably 'on the field' for most of over a decade. Not gonna cut it.

Wow, how amazing that UD went that far - impossible!! I've been told mid majors can't compete anymore in this landscape, it's 'too hard' - lol. Strangely, every single year other mid majors are navigating the sport just fine, play well, get ranked, and make the NCAAT. Must've been voodoo magic for a fellow conf member and HU rival to prove all the excuse-making to be bogus.

Or maybe just actual quality coaching and leadership. Naaahhhh... definitely dark magic.

dutchalum01, unfortunately I do not see either scenario. Considering how long this been allowed to continue, I highly doubt ST is pushed out, and he seems perfectly content to ride this cush job out until he chooses to retire or move on at his own discretion. This admin has been completely neutered to do anything about this. Cole is powerless, and Metzger has put his ego and one person above an entire legacy program. And HU seems to have honored that likely due to his donation power (I get it), and therefore proving they do not put priority on the program, only on keeping those two happy. I see ZERO urgency at HU to fix this. Z E R O.

It's disgusting and shameful. And it's not how a successful athletic department is run.
Thanks Polito - yeah, I do not think I will be on this board much, time to worry about other things but I will always be a Dutch fan. I will continue to root for Hofstra lacrosse and for ST, my dream now would be for Hofstra to make a great run in the next few years and let Seth go out on his own terms.

because, really what's so funny 'bout peace, love and understand
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Congratulations to Danny his teammates on their academic achievements:

https://gohofstra.com/news/2023/6/29/me ... -well.aspx