Transfer Portal

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
triplec2195

Re: Transfer Portal

Post by triplec2195 »

Getting a little too quiet will HU make an announcement soon?? This from TWITTER; Dylan Brett
@DBrettBrackets
·
21h
Per the Portal Report, Hofstra is still in contact with Sacred Heart transfer Tanner Thomas (Tyler’s brother)

The 6’5” sophomore averaged 7 points and 4.5 rebounds with a 52.8 eFG%.

Physical guard who excels on the glass and on the defensive end. 3 years of eligibility.
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

Guess we will get to see more of our old recruit Zion Bethea after all … playing for Delaware.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Imagine that and when we saw him here the few times he played he wasn't very impressive. He had a nice body of work coming out of H.S.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Really starting to get concerned re: our bigs for next year...hoping Speedy pulls a couple out of his hat like he did last year!
mikey75

Post by mikey75 »

Quite right HUSID80. Things are way too quiet. Think we have four scholarships left?
dutchPride86

Post by dutchPride86 »

Estrada is going to Alabama. He should fit nicely in Nate Oats' system.

Pretty interesting how 5 of the best guards in recent CAA history all made their way to Power 5 schools in this new world...

Tyson walker: Michigan St
Cam wynter: penn st
Nelson jr: tcu
Timberlake: Kansas
Estrada: Alabama

It sucks for us, but really can't fault these kids for taking advantage of extra covid year (all but Walker of these 5) to make some real money through NIL and getting as much exposure as possible before starting their pro careers
ZMAN3

Post by ZMAN3 »

Walker taking extra Covid year also - Go Green!
DCDUTCH

Post by DCDUTCH »

triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Finally we get a post up player. Good stuff and he'll come in as a sophomore. He will be a work project but plenty of time for him to develop. He might be the tallest player we ever had??
dutchalum01

Post by dutchalum01 »

Silas with big time offers out of high school .. Rutgers, Wake, Nebraska, St John’s, K-State, Oregon amongst others. Not sure who was in front of him at Iona but with 3 years could be a great find for us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zo4M9cSQKQo

Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

Like this signing. Obviously needed to get bigger. If they can coach him up this could be an nice advantage that we don’t normally have in the middle.

You can’t teach size.

daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

dutchalum01 wrote:Silas with big time offers out of high school .. Rutgers, Wake, Nebraska, St John’s, K-State, Oregon amongst others. Not sure who was in front of him at Iona but with 3 years could be a great find for us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zo4M9cSQKQo

Nice signing - big kid, cant find it now but remember reading of this kid and how hard he worked at Iona to lose weight and get in shape. Also has an Irish background (Listed - not sure if born or raised - as his Hometown).
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I believe I read he was born in Italy Nigerian father Polish mother and was raised In Ireland. Figure that out!!
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

G Carlos KJ Washington Thomas Farmer Barrouk Plotnikov

F Dubar Wilmoth Sunday Tomasco

similar in size to last year
still 2 spots left
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I believe we need another scorer and an insurance policy big. Injuries could be our worst nightmare especially if we had to play Tomasco for any extended minutes. Here's an old article re Sunday. https://www.zagsblog.com/2022/04/18/ion ... as-sunday/
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Sunday sounds like a Warren Williams type. Would love to see Manyang stay, but there are many players left in the portal. Somewhere I read that only 25% of the 1,000+ players in the portal have transferred. You might say the best ones go first, but there are plenty more to chose from.
dutchalum01

Post by dutchalum01 »

My guess being a mid major is you can only attract approximately 5-10% of the players in the portal, due to this you have about 250 to choose from at the start, and then it's need based, so you really only target maybe 25-50 players max out of 2,500. Then it's finding a true fit... so you maybe have 10 players to kind of choose from. I could be wrong, but It's not as easy as saying you have this huge pool of players to target and grab.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

Academics should also be considered with the transfer portal. Every college does not have the same majors or reputation in a possible field of study that a player might be interested in. This could especially come into play after a few semesters of accumulated credits required for a degree.
dutchPride86

Post by dutchPride86 »

Sunday definitely seems like a project, but like it's been said here can't teach that size. Strength and conditioning coaches gonna need to be attached to him at the hip. But with 3 yrs left a very intriguing long term prospect.

So the question becomes, with guys like Kellman and Kelly off the board where does Hofstra turn for their starting veteran center?

Also what is Wilmoth? Does anyone believe he's going to be starting at the 4 spot with another big? Is he just a bench piece? Would they start him at center (even though he doesn't project as a post player)? The answer there I think will determine whether Hofstra is actually in on another scoring guard or not, cause the depth at guard is certainly very strong already (esp if Farmer and/or KJ actually contribute)
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

dutchPride86 wrote:Sunday definitely seems like a project, but like it's been said here can't teach that size. Strength and conditioning coaches gonna need to be attached to him at the hip. But with 3 yrs left a very intriguing long term prospect.

So the question becomes, with guys like Kellman and Kelly off the board where does Hofstra turn for their starting veteran center?

Also what is Wilmoth? Does anyone believe he's going to be starting at the 4 spot with another big? Is he just a bench piece? Would they start him at center (even though he doesn't project as a post player)? The answer there I think will determine whether Hofstra is actually in on another scoring guard or not, cause the depth at guard is certainly very strong already (esp if Farmer and/or KJ actually contribute)
So interesting post dP86 I actually thought that Sunday would be the starting center. I understand that he only played 5 minutes a game last year as a freshman. I know there r people here that believe that Tomasco is just a practice player but it seems like he's going to get some minutes. If we can get a starting 5 so be it but as of right now I think that Sunday will be the starting center. Is he ready for this IDK.

I don't believe that Wilmoth was signed here to be a starter so will just assume he comes off the bench and could even play the 5. I do think that we get another scoring guard/CG.