Transfer Portal

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Captain

Re: Transfer Portal

Post by Captain »

He was born inRoosevelt and the family moved away with him when he was six.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Keeshawn Kellman, the Princeton forward, plans to visit Hofstra and four other schools:

https://twitter.com/ThePortalReport/sta ... 14466?s=20

He's from Allentown, Pa.:

https://goprincetontigers.com/sports/me ... lman/20663
Polito

Post by Polito »

Several thoughts from all the posts here:

- SUPER to hear of TT, he is a must-have returner!
- Positive on BW returning as well, but I'm not sold on him starting - not what's needed - solid off the bench for sure, but this team needs another stud - hence why Speedy is still recruiting a big time CG to replace AE.
- Not loving that being the likely reason Marshall left - would prefer his upside to BW's one year of bench play.
- Players heights and weights are fudged ALL the time guys, in ALL sports. There is no way on this great planet that Dubar is 6'8 lol. He's a 6'6 3/4 with solid wingspan. 6'7 in the right shoes. Same for Plotnikov, not that tall, c'mon guys. Numbers are exaggerated literally everywhere.
- I LOVE what Speedy is going for this offseason - he's after size, rebounding, and defense, with athleticism. Very encouraged that Speedy does seem to learn quickly from his mistakes and makes the needed pivots.
- I believe the Princeton big is a difference-making KEY piece if HU can land him. Team is desperate for winners with NCAAT pedigree.
- Enough with the finesse bigs please - get some GROWN MEN with dawg in here at the 5 for goodness sake.
- Good Lord, we aren't doing the Tomasco conversation again are we?? Just say I was right and be done with it.
- Zion literally stole free money / education for 2 years and didn't do a dang thing. Nothing personal, wish him the best, but c ya.
- Barrouk on the same track - kid better play this year, or process him out - gotta stop wasting spots and money on zero ROI guys. This isn't a charity - produce and earn it or we need to move on.
- Hm, luke warm on the inter-conf transfers... does feel weird.

And finally... DONATE! Yep, NIL is going to ruin it all, and the NCAA is completely inept and corrupt. The CAA "leadership" is in a mental coma. Sure, it's all going to come crashing down. But if you try to ignore, not participate, fight it, put it on others, get stingy with even $5, etc etc it's only going to hurt the program you love. And that program you love won't exist in a few years without it.

There are mids who are navigating it - sadly CofC is one of them (replaced that 4 star guard with a national title winning top D2 player) - and I'll say Speedy & Co. quite frankly are doing strong work considering they are squeezing blood from a stone. But that won't last and they need a fanbase that "gets it". Broken record here, but your season tickets and Pride Club memberships don't move that needle - separate kitty. Sorry. Reality. This program needs us and the entire HU community. It's now or too late.

ROLL PRIDE
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Jojogunne wrote:Keeshawn Kellman, the Princeton forward, plans to visit Hofstra and four other schools:

https://twitter.com/ThePortalReport/sta ... 14466?s=20

He's from Allentown, Pa.:

https://goprincetontigers.com/sports/me ... lman/20663
Fingers crossed on this kid as if it hasn't been mentioned already. Would start here and would get more minutes hopefully then the 18 he was getting there. 10 Points a game sounds reasonable I believe maybe with 6 boards.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Zion Bethea didn't steal anything. Hofstra recruited him in 2020-21 after he scored 1,500 points in high school. Like many freshman, he played very little at the beginning of the season. Then his father died in December, leaving a wife and three children.

As best I recall, Zion did not return, although he is listed on the 2021-22 roster. He had a nice year year at St. Francis Brooklyn in 2022-23, leading the team in 3PT%, and now has to move on because the school ended its athletics programs.

He has been through a lot. I wish him well.
mikey75

Post by mikey75 »

All true. And same here. Where did you get the "steal" reference?
mikey75

Post by mikey75 »

I'm sorry didn't see that reference in Polito's email. Polito tends to exuberance at times.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

I think he was referring to the group as a whole
With Zion a totally different set of circumstances
Only wish Zion the best
Like it or not, this is the new landscape for mid majors. You can literally rebuild a team every year, just random players in the portal. This is not good news for high school seniors hard for them to get playing time as a freshman when the portal is filled with upperclassman with D1 experience.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

stuball888 wrote:I think he was referring to the group as a whole
With Zion a totally different set of circumstances
Only wish Zion the best
Like it or not, this is the new landscape for mid majors. You can literally rebuild a team every year, just random players in the portal. This is not good news for high school seniors hard for them to get playing time as a freshman when the portal is filled with upperclassman with D1 experience.
Really good point Stu re H.S. players with the exception of the 5 star kids that play for Kentucky and other P5 SCHOOLS.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Here is some video of the JC we offered, Isaiah Stafford. I can see why we offered - kid looks like a high energy athletic scorer - has nice "J", step back, mid-game, drive, hops, etc. He has lots of other offers from low level mids and small colleges. I think Speedy sees this kid as a real talent that's flying under the radar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoB48D-ATgw
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Well for a kid who's only 6'1 he certainly can go to flight school. Reminds me of Speedy and alley oops to him going back door.
Mark19th

Post by Mark19th »

Need two more bigs. Right now roster seems filled with eight guards, with Tomasco as only center.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Mark19th wrote:Need two more bigs. Right now roster seems filled with eight guards, with Tomasco as only center.

What about the transfer Myles Wilmoth at 6'9? He's the beginning of acquiring some serious post presence.
dutchPride86

Post by dutchPride86 »

triplec2195 wrote:
Mark19th wrote:Need two more bigs. Right now roster seems filled with eight guards, with Tomasco as only center.

What about the transfer Myles Wilmoth at 6'9? He's the beginning of acquiring some serious post presence.

Wilmoth doesn't seem to project as a low post player despite his size. However, it will be fascinating to see if Hofstra would start him at a stretch 4 along with a more physical 6'9ish post player at the 5 (like Kellman or Amari Kelly) instead of going 4 guards.

This theoretical lineup wouldn't replace any of Estradas playmaking but would add a lot of size, and be the most "traditional" lineup Hofstras run out in years...

Pg - Carlos
Sg - Thomas
Sf - dubar
Pf - wilmoth
C - Kellman/Kelly type from the portal

Of course maybe Wilmoth is just the backup 5 and they will add another starting guard. But their reported interest in some more traditional centers makes me think they don't view Wilmoth that way
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Yeah dp86 all this is very true how r they actually going to use him. He doesn't project as a starter here but will get minutes off the bench and what's interesting about him he of course rebounds and is a shot blocker but has a perimeter game shooting 35% from beyond the arc in one of his seasons. It seems like he will add some versatility to our lineup for sure.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

With all due respect to the schools mentioned here, there does not seem to be much quality interest in Manyang. He would be better off staying with us:

https://twitter.com/ThePortalReport/sta ... 10194?s=20
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

Jojogunne wrote:With all due respect to the schools mentioned here, there does not seem to be much quality interest in Manyang. He would be better off staying with us:

This might indicate it was less his decision and more Hofstra's decision.
garyg

Post by garyg »

Polito wrote:Several thoughts from all the posts here:

- SUPER to hear of TT, he is a must-have returner!
- Positive on BW returning as well, but I'm not sold on him starting - not what's needed - solid off the bench for sure, but this team needs another stud - hence why Speedy is still recruiting a big time CG to replace AE.
- Not loving that being the likely reason Marshall left - would prefer his upside to BW's one year of bench play.
- Players heights and weights are fudged ALL the time guys, in ALL sports. There is no way on this great planet that Dubar is 6'8 lol. He's a 6'6 3/4 with solid wingspan. 6'7 in the right shoes. Same for Plotnikov, not that tall, c'mon guys. Numbers are exaggerated literally everywhere.
- I LOVE what Speedy is going for this offseason - he's after size, rebounding, and defense, with athleticism. Very encouraged that Speedy does seem to learn quickly from his mistakes and makes the needed pivots.
- I believe the Princeton big is a difference-making KEY piece if HU can land him. Team is desperate for winners with NCAAT pedigree.
- Enough with the finesse bigs please - get some GROWN MEN with dawg in here at the 5 for goodness sake.
- Good Lord, we aren't doing the Tomasco conversation again are we?? Just say I was right and be done with it.
- Zion literally stole free money / education for 2 years and didn't do a dang thing. Nothing personal, wish him the best, but c ya.
- Barrouk on the same track - kid better play this year, or process him out - gotta stop wasting spots and money on zero ROI guys. This isn't a charity - produce and earn it or we need to move on.
- Hm, luke warm on the inter-conf transfers... does feel weird.

If I remember correctly you were down on Kevin Schutte his first couple of years on the Hofstra roster and he developed into a valuable reserve off the bench for Hofstra...Tomasco may not be an impact player but it does not mean he can not contribute in the future
And finally... DONATE! Yep, NIL is going to ruin it all, and the NCAA is completely inept and corrupt. The CAA "leadership" is in a mental coma. Sure, it's all going to come crashing down. But if you try to ignore, not participate, fight it, put it on others, get stingy with even $5, etc etc it's only going to hurt the program you love. And that program you love won't exist in a few years without it.

There are mids who are navigating it - sadly CofC is one of them (replaced that 4 star guard with a national title winning top D2 player) - and I'll say Speedy & Co. quite frankly are doing strong work considering they are squeezing blood from a stone. But that won't last and they need a fanbase that "gets it". Broken record here, but your season tickets and Pride Club memberships don't move that needle - separate kitty. Sorry. Reality. This program needs us and the entire HU community. It's now or too late.

ROLL PRIDE
garyg

Post by garyg »

HofstraMathew wrote:
Jojogunne wrote:With all due respect to the schools mentioned here, there does not seem to be much quality interest in Manyang. He would be better off staying with us:

This might indicate it was less his decision and more Hofstra's decision.[/quot

Just because a player is big and athletic does not guarantee him success at the D-1level...two Hofstra players that come to mind are Andy Walker and Greg Washington
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

garyg wrote: Just because a player is big and athletic does not guarantee him success at the D-1level...two Hofstra players that come to mind are Andy Walker and Greg Washington
I am guessing you meant Andre Walker, who averaged 1.1 points and 1.9 rebounds in 6.6 minutes in 47 games. Greg Washington did much more. He played for us for four seasons, and started as a junior and senior. He averaged 5.4 points, 5.1 rebounds, and 2.2 blocks. As a senior, he averaged 7.5 points, 5.3 rebounds, and 2.2 blocks. He made the All-Defensive team in his last three seasons, including as a sophomore when he started 7 games.