Charleston wins CAA Title

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
EvanJ

Re: Charleston wins CAA Title

Post by EvanJ »

On ESPN, Charleston ranks 43rd in percent of people that picked them to win at least one game, and 29th (in the top half) in percent of people that picked them to win at least two games. Among the 3 loss mid-majors, Charleston's 32.0 percent to win at least one game is almost as high as 9 seed Florida Atlantic's 33.8 percent. Charleston is much higher to win at least two games, but that is because Florida Atlantic would have to beat a 1 seed to do that unless a 1 loses to a 16 for the second time ever.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Wags wrote:Charleston has a good shot but I think this is a bad matchup for them. I think they would have upset more of a finesse 5 seed, but SDSU is tough, physical, and defensive-minded. Charleston is versatile and can win that way too, but Towson physical is a little different than San Diego State physical, so I think the Cougars come up a little short. Would be great for the league though to see them and Hofstra make runs in the two tourneys.
Very predictable. Looked just like the way SDSU won 2 of their 3 MWC tourney games this year (64-61 and 62-57 in the final). Today, 63-57.

That was the type of physical, intense game Charleston squeaks by in for a win if it were Towson. But SDSU just a little more physical, a little bigger, a little stronger. Charleston predictably in it the whole way but just as predictably, fell a couple possessions short in the end. The old adage: it's always easier to slow a team down than to speed a team up. The Cougars needed to at least get that game into the 70s but the Aztecs were never allowing that to happen today. 50s/60s was right where they wanted it and right where they won it. They forced Charleston to play their pace and their style. Just the wrong matchup. If they had a 5 like say, Miami, they might've won.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

They win 31 games and got some press and were a top 20 team for a while but who did they beat. They beat Kent State mid major and Virginia Tech. I never thought they were that great of a team. They were a good team that couldn't even beat us on their own floor and with all their wins and people blowing them out of proportion they couldn't even get to the 2nd round. Ridiculous. SDS had a 14 NET ranking to COC 51 so maybe based on this it's no surprise but a close game regardless.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Wags wrote:
Wags wrote:Charleston has a good shot but I think this is a bad matchup for them. I think they would have upset more of a finesse 5 seed, but SDSU is tough, physical, and defensive-minded. Charleston is versatile and can win that way too, but Towson physical is a little different than San Diego State physical, so I think the Cougars come up a little short. Would be great for the league though to see them and Hofstra make runs in the two tourneys.
Very predictable. Looked just like the way SDSU won 2 of their 3 MWC tourney games this year (64-61 and 62-57 in the final). Today, 63-57.

That was the type of physical, intense game Charleston squeaks by in for a win if it were Towson. But SDSU just a little more physical, a little bigger, a little stronger. Charleston predictably in it the whole way but just as predictably, fell a couple possessions short in the end. The old adage: it's always easier to slow a team down than to speed a team up. The Cougars needed to at least get that game into the 70s but the Aztecs were never allowing that to happen today. 50s/60s was right where they wanted it and right where they won it. They forced Charleston to play their pace and their style. Just the wrong matchup. If they had a 5 like say, Miami, they might've won.
Charleston had opportunities to pull the upset, but they struggled with SDSU's size/athleticism too much. Impressed with how hard they played, just seemed like Charleston themselves could not keep up with the pace they wanted to play at, which played right into SDSU's hands. They also went 5-24 from the perimeter, so it's a borderline miracle they were in it at all. Thought they represented the CAA well though, props to them for a great year.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Even though the CAA desperately needs to win NCAAT games, this conf has no shine at all, I am very happy CofC didn't. We do not need that program gaining the attention and hype from HU. This conf will only ever get 1 bid, and I of course only want that to be HU.

I have zero interest in CofC becoming a national name anymore than they already have. Or any other CAA team. The CAA is never going to be anything, so it's not worth it being 'tougher' just for HU to have to deal with.

Much prefer HU to have a Vermont or Iona type presence in the CAA and make the dance most of the time. 8-)