2023 NIT

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Pride97

Re: 2023 NIT

Post by Pride97 »

Flying Dutchmen wrote:Just got my tickets for Saturday. Trending towards SELLOUT! Lets make it happen!!
Just got mine too and they said they think sell out to me as well.

I watched some of the Cincy game last night. They are big and physical for the most part - probably similar bto Rutgers in that aspect, but they looked to be a better scoring team (one game sampkle size though).

One thing i was happy to see is that their PG, Dejulius, looked small - he's listed at 6'0". Thats good news for Carlos since he's had trouble guarding bigger bards. However, Dejulius looked very quick and a VERY active defender. He also led the team in points last night.

Cant wait for Saturday!
Cards

Post by Cards »

Any chance the ticket demand is high enough that they roll out some of the upper level stands - that would be awesome (reminiscent of the Nebraska game).
mikey75

Post by mikey75 »

Are they actually NOT rolling out those stands? That's insane. Roll them out and sell the place out.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Cards wrote:Any chance the ticket demand is high enough that they roll out some of the upper level stands - that would be awesome (reminiscent of the Nebraska game).
And the ODU game too. I'm guessing they'll want to keep those areas as is since they do have other things going on for kids and other fans there. But it would be great to have the extra seats and a louder crowd.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

I made a mistake with hosting. So this will make us having hosted one game in each possible NIT round (before the neutral Final Four), but not in the same year.

It is disappointing to not be on TV, but TV spots are competing with the Women's NCAA Tournament, which is on the ESPN channels.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

PTON_KAT wrote:Evan has noted that HU and Cincinnati have never played each other, but there is a basketball connection linking the two schools. Any old timers remember? I would expect that HUSID80 would know.
Not sure how you are referencing "connection" but I go back to the 70's and remember a kid transferring from Cincinnati to Hofstra. His name was Lionel(The Train) Harvey. His brother Eric was the PG for us. They were from Malverne H.S. if my memory serves me well.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Both Jojo and HUSID would remember him.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

EvanJ wrote:I made a mistake with hosting. So this will make us having hosted one game in each possible NIT round (before the neutral Final Four), but not in the same year.

It is disappointing to not be on TV, but TV spots are competing with the Women's NCAA Tournament, which is on the ESPN channels.
Honestly more people might know about ESPN+ than EPSNU. So definitely possible for plenty of people to still watch.
PTON_KAT

Post by PTON_KAT »

triplec2195 wrote:
PTON_KAT wrote:Evan has noted that HU and Cincinnati have never played each other, but there is a basketball connection linking the two schools. Any old timers remember? I would expect that HUSID80 would know.
Not sure how you are referencing "connection" but I go back to the 70's and remember a kid transferring from Cincinnati to Hofstra. His name was Lionel(The Train) Harvey. His brother Eric was the PG for us. They were from Malverne H.S. if my memory serves me well.
Correct
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Awesome IDK how I remember some of these trivial things and can't remember my name in the morning. Lol
Wags

Post by Wags »

With San Diego State's win today, Hofstra will be the last CAA team to play basketball in the 2022-23 season.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

Polito wrote:Aaahhh it was RIGHT THERE!!! Lol man closest I’ve come to that matchup being a reality!

But wow how huge is this for HU, hosting an NIT game against CINCINNATI, the biggest name they’ve ever had at the Mack!

HUGE - what an opportunity for this program. Super time slot, this game will get some attention, and IF HU can pull this off they will be a ‘story’. Despite this being NIT, these are at least big names HU is playing. That is a big boost as far as coverage goes.

I haven’t followed them much lately, but believe the Bearcats are a similar build to HU…? ie whichever team has shots falling seems likely to take this one.

They are also a very good rebounding team, and play physical. HU will need its bench in this one, and every player to fight for the ball all game long. This will be another where these fellas need to leave it all on the floor and protect their house.
I agree Cincinnati is probably biggest opponent to ever head to Mack given their history and tradition. Only other debatable one is St. John’s and def rank above Nebraska, who has never won an NCAA Tourney game. We also hosted Clemson at PFC in 1989, but would still rank Cincinnati above that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

triplec2195 wrote:Both Jojo and HUSID would remember him.
Know the Train very well. Out of Malverne.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Wags wrote:With San Diego State's win today, Hofstra will be the last CAA team to play basketball in the 2022-23 season.
It would have been cooler to lose in the NCAA Tournament then to win a game or two in the NIT though.
Wags

Post by Wags »

triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Hofstra wrote:
Wags wrote:With San Diego State's win today, Hofstra will be the last CAA team to play basketball in the 2022-23 season.
It would have been cooler to lose in the NCAA Tournament then to win a game or two in the NIT though.
I couldn't disagree more with this. When is a loss better then a win in a tourney. This isn't the CBI but even the CBI win for me is worth more then a loss. I wonder how many people remember the loss to Houston in O/T OR DO THEY MORE RECALL THE WIN AT ARKANSAS. A loss is a loss anyway you look at it whether it's a blowout loss or a close loss. Such a stigma attached to LOSING IMO NCAA OR NIT.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

So I'm a little surprised that ESPN has given us a 57% chance of beating Cincinatti tomorrow. We're 11-1 at home and they're 4-6 on the road. Lets hope this prediction comes to fruition.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Here is an interesting tidbit
We are the only surviving see CAA team, both men and women’ss
As we know, Charlotte lost in the NCAA’s first round
On the women side Monmouth lost by 10 and it’s opening round of the NCAA
In the WNIT, Drexel, lost by 10 and Towson was blown out by 40 against Harvard
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

triplec2195 wrote:So I'm a little surprised that ESPN has given us a 57% chance of beating Cincinatti tomorrow. We're 11-1 at home and they're 4-6 on the road. Lets hope this prediction comes to fruition.
Ive seen a few predictions of us winning - I have not seen a spread yet but I was guessing us GETTING 4 - Cinncy is a BIG team with tranfers from some BIG MAJORS -

Go Davey - Beat Goliath
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

triplec2195 wrote:
Hofstra wrote:
I couldn't disagree more with this. When is a loss better then a win in a tourney. This isn't the CBI but even the CBI win for me is worth more then a loss. I wonder how many people remember the loss to Houston in O/T OR DO THEY MORE RECALL THE WIN AT ARKANSAS. A loss is a loss anyway you look at it whether it's a blowout loss or a close loss. Such a stigma attached to LOSING IMO NCAA OR NIT.
NIT has tradition but being part of ncaa tourney is way better even with a loss! Not even up for debate given given attention tourney gets. It is also extra important for us given what happened to us three years ago which was beyond a cruel joke. Many Hofstra fans and alums have never experienced Hofstra in NCAA tourney and quicker that happens for all of our sanities the better!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk