2023 NIT

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Wags

Re: 2023 NIT

Post by Wags »

Flying Dutchmen wrote: I was about to draw up a letter to the new NCAA president requesting a formal investigation into the spate of fouls on Estrada and Williams in the second half.
And you'd have been right to do so. Even Welsh was openly saying that Rutgers fans - not the refs - made some calls and that Rutgers fans were a fourth official tonight. To pull off what they did in a loud, hostile place, with Estrada fouling out, to overcome the refs and the poor start, was one of the grittiest wins I have ever seen this program have. And I would say that if it were a regular-season game in November, not just because it was upsetting the 1 seed on the road in the NIT.

Actually, as much as I love Estrada, I wonder if they win this game if he doesn't get his fourth with so much time left and if he didn't foul out. You normally never want that of course, but do others step up and win the game down the stretch if he stays in and isn't playing at the star level we've seen him at in so many prior games?
Polito

Post by Polito »

It's wild because HU actually played better with him out... and I really felt Speedy should've sat AE for a few min in the 1st - he was completely out of sorts and needed to settle himself. AE just had a really REALLY bad night of ball. Kudos to RU in part as their D on him was a factor. But he really hasn't been great of late. Like I said, his value is dropping - he needs a baller game in this NIT to show he's not losing it.

A lot of respect and credit coming from the RU fanbase on their boards. Have to appreciate that. For any of their fans viewing here, this was a MONSTER win for HU largely because of how good RU is and one of the best D's in the land. Thought this game was over for HU countless times. SUPER proud of how hard they battled.

And just for the record RU fans, HU typically shoots well. It's not a fluke. They were definitely some tough shots, a luck one here and there, but that happens every game with all teams, this is actually what HU has done most of the year. BOTH of these teams should've been in the NCAAT.

That should be a candidate for one of the best games of the year in hoops.
dutchalum01

Post by dutchalum01 »

Flying Dutchmen wrote:
triplec2195 wrote:
Flying Dutchmen wrote:that was the greatest win we've ever had
We should have declined the NIT bid. I just want to know how much Rutgers paid for this win.

Make up your mind FD DECLINE or was it the greatest win EVER?? LOL Can't be both!!

LOL - I don't think two posts could more sum up the rollercoaster ride my brain goes through watching this team!
Lmao. Said every true Hofstra fan ever. ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wags

Post by Wags »

Polito wrote: It's wild because HU actually played better with him out... and I really felt Speedy should've sat AE for a few min in the 1st - he was completely out of sorts and needed to settle himself. AE just had a really REALLY bad night of ball. Kudos to RU in part as their D on him was a factor. But he really hasn't been great of late. Like I said, his value is dropping - he needs a baller game in this NIT to show he's not losing it.
He generally hasn't been great - at times good - ever since the missed game with the food poisoning. I doubt that's still been an issue for so long, but you can trace it back to then pretty much. He was bad from 3 (1/6) and turning the ball over again, but I think "really bad" is strong. He was a very solid 5/7 from 2 and contributed his usual asts, rebs, and pretty good D (had half of HU's six steals). As much as the rest stepped up without him, I think they also don't win without the contributions he did provide.
Polito wrote: They were definitely some tough shots, a luck one here and there, but that happens every game with all teams
True, but boy - that one that Dubar BANKED in? THAT was lucky and it was HUGE. They very may well not win without that. Whew! :D
Polito wrote: That should be a candidate for one of the best games of the year in hoops.
Could be, was highly entertaining. For a little while down the stretch, they were going shot for shot.
dutchalum01

Post by dutchalum01 »

In my 22 years following this team, that’s a top 3 win. With the transfer portal in full effect, This might be the programs biggest win ever. I can fully see this win changing some of these young men’s mind on leaving, and will also help bring in new recruits and transfers. Incredible job all around tonight … what a game.

Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

What. A. Game!

I just got home and so happy I went. Going against a huge crowd (+ 3. Refs honestly). I haven’t been to too many road games - nothing like this. If the fans weren’t into it because of disappointment from missing the NCAAs, you could have fooled me. The stands were reverberating when they were getting loud on defense.

They actually played with more confidence when Estrada got his 4th. Looked like Dubar, Thomas and Carlos started taking (and hitting) their shots. No disrespect to Estrada, but just a different loom than them watching him dribble around to find a shot. Thomas made some unbelievable shots.

Biggest win I’ve witnessed. So proud of how they played. Looks like lots of good pub so far. Kudos to them all! Let’s keep it rolling!

Wags

Post by Wags »

dutchalum01 wrote: With the transfer portal in full effect, This might be the programs biggest win ever. I can fully see this win changing some of these young men’s mind on leaving, and will also help bring in new recruits and transfers.
If you're Towson and just lost Timberlake while not playing in the postseason, if you're UNCW and just lost two guys (one who was on the rise) while not playing in the postseason, or if you're Delaware and just lost Nelson Jr. while not playing in the postseason, you figure to be behind the 8-ball with trying to lure new talent from the portal relative to watching Hofstra - even if Hofstra were to lose Estrada and/or Thomas - compete in a highly entertaining game on national TV, taking down the top seed in the NIT on the road.
Last edited by Wags on Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Wags wrote:
Flying Dutchmen wrote: I was about to draw up a letter to the new NCAA president requesting a formal investigation into the spate of fouls on Estrada and Williams in the second half.
And you'd have been right to do so. Even Welsh was openly saying that Rutgers fans - not the refs - made some calls and that Rutgers fans were a fourth official tonight. To pull off what they did in a loud, hostile place, with Estrada fouling out, to overcome the refs and the poor start, was one of the grittiest wins I have ever seen this program have. And I would say that if it were a regular-season game in November, not just because it was upsetting the 1 seed on the road in the NIT.

Actually, as much as I love Estrada, I wonder if they win this game if he doesn't get his fourth with so much time left and if he didn't foul out. You normally never want that of course, but do others step up and win the game down the stretch if he stays in and isn't playing at the star level we've seen him at in so many prior games?
Interesting proposition, but they literally didn't get a shot off the entire time Estrada sat after his 4th foul. They eventually figured it out but it was ugly for a while there and allowed Rutgers to go on a run to regain the lead and then some.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Great win. Was with a bunch of Rutgers fans watching the game, and they were upset. Loved the fight in this team. Still sucks that we arent dancing, especially when you watch what this team is fully capable of. Glad we won, and live to fight another day.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Hofstra wrote:Great win. Was with a bunch of Rutgers fans watching the game, and they were upset. Loved the fight in this team. Still sucks that we arent dancing, especially when you watch what this team is fully capable of. Glad we won, and live to fight another day.
Was completely crestfallen after the UNCW game - BUT every minute of the Rutgers game I was back - bigger then before rooting and ranting for HU - such a great game -

They beat both off the R&R's : a better Rutgers team and completely incompetent team of Refs

Such a great game to watch!
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I'm really happy to see FOR A CHANGE the overwhelming positivity from this board. Amazing how uplifting a big win can be. On the one hand you look at the post from FD that at one point had defeat written all over it and 15 minutes later it was like we were cutting down the nets at Rutgers. So for someone like Pride 97 who was at the game I just wonder how SOMBER the crowd was when it settled in that they had just lost to a local MID MAJOR team. The cameras panning to the Rutgers players was worth a thousand words on how devastating a loss this was.

Also I remember reading part of a Polito post on how AE looked like a "deer in the headlights" and I thought the same thing in the first few minutes of the game losing the ball and just looking like he was in AWE of the moment. It looked very much out of character for him having been there on numerous occasions and just rising to the moment. He clearly hasn't been himself but like so many others have said even the announcers that this team is MUCH more then Estrada. Playing roughly 12 minutes without him and holding our own and then some.
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

triplec2195 wrote:I'm really happy to see FOR A CHANGE the overwhelming positivity from this board. Amazing how uplifting a big win can be. On the one hand you look at the post from FD that at one point had defeat written all over it and 15 minutes later it was like we were cutting down the nets at Rutgers. So for someone like Pride 97 who was at the game I just wonder how SOMBER the crowd was when it settled in that they had just lost to a local MID MAJOR team. The cameras panning to the Rutgers players was worth a thousand words on how devastating a loss this was.
It was surreal.
It was a rowdy crowd! Lotis of ye=lling and screaming - kids yelling "Hofstra sucks!" a lot. I sat relatively quiet (for me) for most of the game. There were a few Hofstra fans in the upper level behind the bench. I felt like a blue dot in a sea of red. They were very into it from the beginning with with deafening "D-Fense" and "R-U" chants (while on offense) throughout. Pikell was very involved as well. He walked the opposite sideline prior to the start of the game waving his hands to get the crowd up. After every big shot they made, he waved the crowd up and they did exactly that. I was clapping and rooting on from my seat, but was drowned out by chants every time.

They didn't seem nervous at all - could tell they were a little uneasy most of the way that they kept going up 6-8, but couldn't blow it open. Honestly I dont think they were really concerned until Thomas hit the final shot. They quieted a bit there, but jumped up for the final offensive set. When the last shot bounced out, it was a complete hush. They were a little stunned when Hosftra tied it at the end of regulation, but it happened so fast they didn't have time to react too much. Felt they thought they'd take over in OT at some point.

It was very surreal to go from that decibel level to a hush and watching people leave stunned. I stayed a while as i was in disbelief. Just felt like we weren't able to get over the top the entire game and i was in shock when we won. My wife said i just simply stated "we won. i can't believe we won" and then looked for any Hofstra fan i could find to high five.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Lost in the excitement of this game if you remember after Nelson tied to score at 74 in regulation, Rutgers still had 2.6 seconds to score after a long, full court pass was intercepted Carlos heaved a full court shot that hit the backboard
Can you imagine if that shot went in?
Shades of Eli, Pemberton and his shot against JMU to end the first half in 2019
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

TY Pride 97 for giving us insight into what the tone was after they lost. I’m sure their fans were in total disbelief like having a nightmare. Imagine their coach having to talk to the media etc Love to get to hear those comments
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

Triplec2195, Go to the website A Daly Dose of Hoops to get a little insight on the RU reaction. Also, our friend Wags had a good article on the NY Sports Day site.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Now that we can happily say this matters for Hofstra...

Virginia Tech at Cincinnati on ESPN2 tonight (3/15) at 9:00 pm ET.

The second round is Sat 3/18 & Sun 3/19. The only things we know about that round so far are:

Sat 3/18 - Michigan @ Vanderbilt at noon ET on ESPN
Sun 3/19 - TBD games at noon & 2:00 pm ET on ESPN2, and TBD games at 7:30 pm & 9:30 pm ET on ESPNU
Wags

Post by Wags »

Wags wrote:Now that we can happily say this matters for Hofstra...

Virginia Tech at Cincinnati on ESPN2 tonight (3/15) at 9:00 pm ET.

The second round is Sat 3/18 & Sun 3/19. The only things we know about that round so far are:

Sat 3/18 - Michigan @ Vanderbilt at noon ET on ESPN
Sun 3/19 - TBD games at noon & 2:00 pm ET on ESPN2, and TBD games at 7:30 pm & 9:30 pm ET on ESPNU
Just saw that if Cincinnati wins tonight, Hofstra GETS A HOME GAME this weekend!

Cincinnati is having renovations done to its playing surface and can't host beyond tonight. Why they would have possibly scheduled that now and not waited for March to be over first is beyond me, but go Bearcats! I think... I'm not sure if playing Va Tech on the road would be more winnable than Cincinnati (a better team) at home, but at this point, bring on the excitement of hosting Cincinnati at The Mack! Win or lose, that would probably be better for creating any positive buzz that could linger into next season to attract fans then. Of course, making a deep run or even winning the NIT all on the road might do more for next year and beyond. But hey, after beating a top seed and the biggest NCAAT snub, who says we can't have both, a home win over Cincinnati AND a deep, even winning the whole thing?!
Last edited by Wags on Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
CTDutch

Post by CTDutch »

Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Postgame press conferences, like day and night. I don't think I've seen a more emotional press conference than this one from Rutgers:

Hofstra:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IH6uAqKoxCQ

Rutgers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRCVI_FkH2M
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »