2023 NIT

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
cactus
Site Admin

Re: 2023 NIT

Post by cactus »

Wags wrote:As predicted, Hofstra at top-seeded Rutgers.

Tue on ESPNU at 7pm
Rutgers is essentially the top overall seed in the tournament.
This logically seeds hofstra as the worst team in the tournament.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
dutchPride86

Post by dutchPride86 »

cactus wrote:
Wags wrote:As predicted, Hofstra at top-seeded Rutgers.

Tue on ESPNU at 7pm
Rutgers is essentially the top overall seed in the tournament.
This logically seeds hofstra as the worst team in the tournament.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
NIT placed the unseeded teams by geography so wouldn't read it at all as Hofstra ranked last in NIT field, but yes tough draw with Rutgers probably the biggest snub from NCAA tourney.

Still, type of opponent i was hoping Hofstra would get, will be a fun challenge. Rutgers size and defense will be a major obstacle, #5 in the country in adjusted D (via kenpom). Now will Rutgers be motivated by the snub or will the NIT just be a major letdown for them?
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

On KenPom: RU #35, HU #90.
Wags

Post by Wags »

dutchPride86 wrote: Now will Rutgers be motivated by the snub or will the NIT just be a major letdown for them?
With Pikiell as the coach, I would expect the former rather than the later, although eventually reaching MSG might have been slightly more motivating for them than making a run to Vegas. I think they'll be in this tourney to try to win it though at every step.

Rutgers is 7-8 (solely vs. the Big Ten) against this year's NCAAT field.
Hofstra is 3-2 vs. the NCAAT field (wins at Princeton, vs. Iona, at Charleston).
Purdue was the only common opponent: Rutgers won there by 1, Hofstra lost there by 19. Rutgers lost to Purdue by 5 in the Big Ten tourney.
Last edited by Wags on Sun Mar 12, 2023 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

We play in one of the ten televised games, with the other six on ESPN Plus. We play on Tuesday at 7:00 P.M. on ESPNU, while Michigan hosts Toledo on ESPN2, and Alabama-Birmingham (UAB) hosts Southern Mississippi on ESPN Plus.

11 teams got automatic bids, which means that 21 of 32 regular season champions won their tournament or got an NCAA Tournament at-large bid.

We're 3-2 against the NCAAT field with losses at Purdue and Saint Mary's.

By NET through yesterday, we are the sixth worst NIT team, meaning we deserve a 7 seed if seeds were done that way. However, the nearest 2 seed is Wisconsin, and the others are Vanderbilt (in Nashville), North Texas, and New Mexico. All of them would require flying.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Yeah for sure this will be a tough game their big is their leading scorer Omoruyi at 6'11 240. He averages 13.2 and 9.7 rebounds. Another game that Warren Williams may see a lot of minutes and could run into foul trouble. They have two guards that get a lot of minutes who r 6'7. Both D-Stone and Carlos have their work cut out for them. UGH ....
Polito

Post by Polito »

As far as games go, this is definitely the kind of game you want. HU got essentially the best team in the NIT - have to love that from a competitive standpoint. Nationally televised game. Local matchup. B10 opponent. That's an "exciting" game all things considered.

That said, this will obviously be a very tough game. As mentioned RU is a highly skilled defensive team. B10 DPOY, a D 1st teamer, and a top 5-10 D ranking. Conversely, they typically do not score a lot, further evidenced by their 'highest' scorers.

They have plenty of size of course, play 7-10 from the bench regularly, hold court at home, and Pikiell is a pretty darn good coach. Will hate to see HU settle for 3's all game but this may be just that considering the trees in the post. Highly concerned about HU's bigs in this matchup, and I think this is another game where Dubar will be a major key, one way or the other. He can't play like last game or they have no shot, regardless of AE. But will clearly need AE to play at a POY level.

If HU comes in and finds a way to run and score the way they've done most of this year, they can make this game. Need to continue to get open and take good shots, and take care of the ball (not like last time). If they play like CofC, RU will wax the floor with them / win easily even at half mast. Would be awesome to see HU treat this game like their chance to right their season story and play on fire.

Revenge would be nice, and will certainly be a motivator for Speedy - not sure about the rest of the team, most were probably not even or just born lol. I was at that last NIT game, was pumped for it but man it stunk not having Speedy get to play - that game would've been different. It was a cool deal at that time because it was HU's first time finally getting back to the postseason in forever. This time, it's a letdown.
Now will Rutgers be motivated by the snub or will the NIT just be a major letdown for them?
eh, will Hofstra? Think it's a bigger question for them. I have yet to see HU show up to an NIT game ready, hungry, and playing it's best. This will be quite an interesting test for Speedy and staff, especially considering it's 2 best players are likely out the door. Won't be easy. If he can lead them to a W here, even I will readily admit that's a quality showing and a relatively 'big win' for HU after the CAA disappointment.

I'm blah and still disgusted about the NIT for HU, the fall is still fresh, this is a 'losers' tourney so to speak for those who couldn't cut it, and it lost a lot of luster for me moving out of NY, but will certainly still be rooting them on. Better than the other joke fake 'tournaments'. Hope they use this opportunity to represent themselves and this program in the best way they can.
mikey75

Post by mikey75 »

Polito - Agree moving the NIT out NY and MSG was dumb but it is not a losers tourney. There are really good teams in this tournament and always are. The NIT is prestigious and a stepping stone to bigger things and shows a program heading in the right direction. Hofstra got what it deserved but the program has come a long way since the "laptop" era meltdown. The problem is every time the program gets to certain point it seems to fall back with the "lap top" debacle being the most glaring set back. Feel your frustration but we got what we deserved to a certain extant.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

"St. John's (18-15) and Fordham (25-8) did not receive NIT berths."
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Nobody seemed to be mentioning the fact that Villanova is in the NIT but what's worth mentioning is they're unseeded and have to go on the road to play Liberty! What! Nobody can rest on their laurels and it seemed not to long ago they were winning a National Championship with Jay Wright. So while N Carolina snubs their nose at this tourney Villanova is all in. I wonder what Jay's thoughts r on this tourney. https://www.inquirer.com/college-sports ... 30312.html
Last edited by triplec2195 on Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Rutgers - 7.5
O/U 136.5
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Wags wrote:Rutgers - 7.5
O/U 136.5
So at a neutral site about 3? What about at the Mack?
Cards

Post by Cards »

triplec2195 wrote:Nobody seemed to be mentioning the fact that Villanova is in the NIT but what's worth mentioning is they're unseeded and have to go on the road to play Liberty! What! Nobody can rest on their laurels and it seemed not to long ago they were winning a National Championship with Jay Wright. So while N Carolina snubs their nose at this tourney Villanova is all in. I wonder what Jay's thought r on this tourney. https://www.inquirer.com/college-sports ... 30312.html
I wonder if Nova's acceptance of the bid is to get their two stars a few more looks from NBA scouts. Cam Whitmore is only a freshman who missed the first part of the season due to hand surgery is said to be a first round top ten pick, if he wants to go pro. Justin Moore, would have been a pre-season
Big East MVP candidate except he missed 2/3 of the season recovering from Achilles surgery. He still has his covid year to stay at Nova another year, but if he wants to go pro, more showcase time may help his cause.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Anybody planning to go tomorrow?
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

I live 25 minutes away, but I cant bring myself to watch this live. I am still so upset that we arent dancing. I will watch on TV.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Hear that.

I shudder to say all this as I'm sure I'll get raked, deservedly so, but I actually thought about going, just that I have to fly out early tomorrow morning and didn't think it wise to take more time away from the fam (been away a LOT). And ugh I will watch despite my b!tching. I know I know, trust me, I know. I'm a glutton for punishment like the rest of this board. The NIT sucks, this game sucks, the end of this season sucked, and I'm still pissed at Speedy & Co for what I will still call a choke job. But I of course want them to win and the NIT is better than nada, esp for a mid.

Going to be interesting just to see which team treats this game with respect and comes out to win vs has a disappointment hangover and plays lazy/lethargic. Really could be either team, maybe both lol.

This was a pretty big snub for Rutgers. This team took down Purdue. But they were up and down in conf as well.

If they play to win this game will not be close in the end. If they play soft and HU comes in with fire they can catch them off guard. HU will need to be hitting shots of course - can't shoot like they did last game.

This isn't a knock on Speedy, just respect for Pikiell, but he is the better coach with more experience. They have high level talent. They are at home. The odds are very much against HU.

If they find a way to pull this off, that would be a feather in the cap. Would gladly give them their props for a pretty decent upset. But I do anticipate an L in this one. Hope to be as wrong in this prediction as the last game.

*Forgot to mention, mikey75, fully agree that HU got exactly what it deserved. Played their way to earn the NIT during the regular season, and then played their way right out of earning the NCAAT when it mattered most. Again. Sucks. :x
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

Speaking about glutton for punishment ... I just bought tickets. One last hurrah I guess.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

At this point, we're playing with house money. There's more pressure on RU to win, and they choked when it counted vs. MN and others.

I'm sure UNCW and Towson would love to be playing tonight.

And if we should win, there's a chance we could face VA TECH in the next round!

All good. Go pride!
Wags

Post by Wags »

Jojogunne wrote:At this point, we're playing with house money. There's more pressure on RU to win, and they choked when it counted vs. MN and others.

I'm sure UNCW and Towson would love to be playing tonight.

And if we should win, there's a chance we could face VA TECH in the next round!
Meant to say ask this when I saw the bracket on Sunday - Polito: who do you root for if it's HU vs. Va Tech?