The future of postseason for men’s basketball

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
stuball888

The future of postseason for men’s basketball

Post by stuball888 »

So after doing some research, I’ve come to this conclusion
If the NCAA tournament expands to 96 teams, I see the top 10 conferences participating in it
There are 123 teams of which 96 will be picked
The NIT will be able to choose from the remaining 240 teams and pick 64 to compete
Since money is a driving factor in college sports today, I can see the scenario coming through
Jojogunne

Re: The future of postseason for men’s basketball

Post by Jojogunne »

Seems like too many teams would make the NCAAT and NIT, Stu.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

there are at least 340 teams in div 1 its the top half
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

NCAA is greedy, unless they control the CBI or CIT which is not really a money maker.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Jojogunne wrote:Seems like too many teams would make the NCAAT and NIT, Stu.
96 for the NCAAT has (unfortunately) been talked about for many years, so it could definitely happen, especially when money is involved. But I hope it doesn't. 68 is fine, if anything maybe 2-4 more in play-ins to remove all the griping about the 69th - 72nd teams that don't get in, but I would not want to see it go beyond that. If they do add 2-4 more, they should all be play-ins, 65-72. That would actually be good. Settle any gripes on the floor instead of on the various Selection Sunday shows, and let's stop seeing two teams play each other for a 16 seed. People would rather see teams compete for 11 and 12 seeds anyway instead of the caliber of teams we see competing for 16 seeds, who qualified automatically and shouldn't have to qualify again through a play-in game.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Wasn't sure which thread this fit in. I know this is more for the NCAA tourney, but in terms of the future of the CAA tourney, expect an announcement on a multi-year deal to either keep the tourney in D.C. or to move it elsewhere for a few years by about the first or second week of April.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Saw this on Yahoo this morning talking about a 90 team tournament and how does this behoove Mid -Major basketball?? Rich get richer and the mids once again are just step-children!! https://sports.yahoo.com/what-would-a-9 ... ?.tsrc=364
Polito

Post by Polito »

The NCAA is a fully corrupt and terribly run organization. Would love for it to blow up.

Until then, can absolutely see them expanding it. Purely for money, and no, it will not benefit mids whatsoever.

And the NIT isn't going to just take mid majors for the exact same reason. They want names, and they will take the best of what's left. Mids will play the same role they've always played, second fiddle with a few teams that get selected and each year one or two will make their name and make it exciting. And nothing more. Because mids can't sustain that level of success. There has been literally only ONE in the entire hoops history to permanently elevate, Gonzaga. That's IT. Every other has been a flash in the pan for small window of time, and then back to average once the top flight coach moves on to bigger names and bigger money they can't compete with.

Neither tournament is going to truly give who's "deserving". They will give it to who's going to provide the best matchups, bring fans, give them the best chance at the max money possible.

So really no different than today. Just more watered down.

Ultimately, what I think could happen, is once the P2/P3 becomes a reality, they might just form their own org and exit the NCAA period and blow that whole thing to smithereens.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Polito wrote:Ultimately, what I think could happen, is once the P2/P3 becomes a reality, they might just form their own org and exit the NCAA period and blow that whole thing to smithereens.
Have heard some opinions the last week or so that this is the way college football will go. The top P-level programs (maybe 40 teams) may just leave the NCAA and form their own organization for college level football only. Of course, the entire driver will be high dollar TV contracts.