2023 CAA MBB Playoff Schedule

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Wags

Re: 2023 CAA MBB Playoff Schedule

Post by Wags »

Polito wrote:The battle lines are drawn, let the games begin!!!

P.S. These conf tourney's are ridiculous. The fact that HU as a 1 still has to play bottom feeders in it's first game is so pointless and stupid. These setups do nothing to help the league. Having some low level team strike lightening and knock out a top team in one meaningless game completely hurts the conf on a national level, esp in the dance. And no, league parity is not more important because this isn't the ACC. It's a low level one bid league. You want your best.

Your top teams shouldn't have to win 3 in a row after busting their hump all season - they should get bye's to the semis. Or eliminate the bottom 4 - it's silly, esp with a zillion teams now. That's how you raise the national profile of your league - you give your best the best chance to shine and rep nationally.

And I will mean this even if it means a Drexel knocks off a CofC for example - which would be great for HU - but it's not good overall. I don't like these setups.
We don't need an average UD type repping the league in the NCAAT. We need one of the best from that year. But I digress...
From an interest and excitement standpoint, even when it's the best teams reaching the final anyway, I like the conference tournaments. Some of them can be a lot of fun. But for everything else you're saying, and especially for pure fairness and making the regular season truly mean something, each regular season champion should ideally be repping each conference in the NCAAT. However, we all know why that'll never happen.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Here's the CAA bracket. Click on the image to enlarge:

https://twitter.com/CAABasketball/statu ... 52/photo/1

Which of the first five games is the likeliest to be an upset?
Wags

Post by Wags »

Cool graphic summarizing regular season & conference tourney titles by year for each CAA team:
https://twitter.com/ProjSports/status/1 ... 04/photo/1
Wags

Post by Wags »

Jojogunne wrote:Here's the CAA bracket. Click on the image to enlarge:

https://twitter.com/CAABasketball/statu ... 52/photo/1

Which of the first five games is the likeliest to be an upset?
This could make for some interesting early matchups: for the four matchups that we know and either way the fifth one falls, the teams split this season in all scenarios except one (but even with that one, one of the two games was close).

The ESPN chances (below) and the underdog being closest to sweeping so far this year (only a two-point loss) says Stony Brook has the best chance of pulling the upset.

Northeastern-Delaware split two very close games too, but it feels like Delaware is playing better ball than Northeastern now (Nelson Jr. didn't play in the Northeastern win).

Delaware 75.6% to beat Northeastern - teams split, each winning close at home (Northeastern 59-58, Delaware 81-78).
Hampton 62.5% to beat Monmouth - Hampton swept (83-66 away, 86-81 at home).
William & Mary 61.9% vs. Elon - teams split, each winning comfortably at home (Elon 66-55 and W&M 73-60).
NC A&T 60.9% to beat Stony Brook - teams split, each winning at home (NC A&T 61-59, Stony Brook 69-59).
Drexel split with Hampton (won 79-73 at home, lost 75-72 away) and Monmouth (won 67-35 at home, lost 69-67 away).

I guess, gut feeling, I would agree with the ESPN percentages above and say Stony Brook or Elon might have the best chances of winning as lower seeds, but if I had to pick, I see the higher seed advancing in each of the first five games.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

A William & Mary fan posted odds that make these probabilities:

Charleston: 44.6 percent
Us: 29.8 percent
Towson: 11.9 percent
UNCW: 7.6 percent
Drexel: 3.2 percent
Delaware: 1.6 percent
William & Mary: 0.3 percent
Elon: 0.3 percent
North Carolina A&T: 0.3 percent
Northeastern: 0.2 percent
Stony Brook: 0.2 percent
Hampton: 0.2 percent
Monmouth: 0.2 percent

That is almost 75 percent for Charleston or Us. It adds up to 100.4 percent due to rounding. I wonder how many conferences have a majority of their teams at 0.3 percent or lower.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

https://www.flohoops.com/articles/10664 ... pset-trend says:

"Over the last 10 games, Hofstra ranks third in all of college basketball in field-goal percentage, sixth for 2-point shooting at 57.4 percent, and is the country's best offense in assist-to-turnover ratio, total turnovers and percentage of possessions resulting in turnovers, and fast-breaking shooting."

http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=459211 will have statistics for Monmouth vs. Hampton tomorrow at 2:00 P.M. KenPom expects Hampton to win 73-71 with a 58 percent chance of winning. It is unusual for a weekday to have only one game and have it be a day game, but I am sure it is because the winner plays Saturday at 2:30 P.M., and they do not want to make a team play a day game after a night games.