Women's basketball vs Monmouth 2/26 @2PM

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Pride97

Women's basketball vs Monmouth 2/26 @2PM

Post by Pride97 »

Well - that loss put an exclamation point on a underwhelming season. Tie game with a full :24 and they cant even get a shot off. Then with .5 left the commit a foul, Monmouth hits 2 FTs ... game over.

They called a timeout before the last possession and I cant's believe two Ineza layup attempts (both blocked btw) was the best they could come up with.

I'm not sure what the future of this program holds, but if this staff continues, they need to recruit come more shooters and work heavily on ball movement and shot selection. The coaching and decision making is confounding at times.

Von Essen made some key three's down the stretch and i though that was gong to get them over the hump. However, they committed some of the worst TOs I've ever seen after that (as this team as a whole has been doing all season) on their way to another loss.

Very disappointing game
triplec2195

Re: Women's basketball vs Monmouth 2/26 @2PM

Post by triplec2195 »

Pride what you forgot to post when they drew it up to have Sorelle take the last shot(s) guess who was on the BENCH?? UNBELIEVABLE you don't have your best offensive weapons out there. This is why we are what we r. At least we didn't turn it over 20-30X!!
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

less turnovers more points 67
this was our last winnable game as the last three in cluding the tournament are on the road
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

triplec2195 wrote:Pride what you forgot to post when they drew it up to have Sorelle take the last shot(s) guess who was on the BENCH?? UNBELIEVABLE you don't have your best offensive weapons out there. This is why we are what we r. At least we didn't turn it over 20-30X!!
Coach was asked that question directly in the presser and said they wanted to have their best defensive team out there for after they shot. I am perplexed by this answer as 1) its most important to score there and less important for D and 2) if they ran the clock down, there would be less thank a second for Monmouth to score if they dont stop the clock (if they take a timeout, you can sub). I dont think she has much confidence in her freshman late in games.

That being said there were a few REALLY bad turnovers by certain players down the stretch.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I haven't watched the complete game who turned it over??
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

Unfortunately Von Essen. She had 2 of her 3 TOs in the 4th. I wonder if that factored into the reason she wasn't on the floor at the end.

I disagree with not having her out there. i think if the ball got to her she was putting it up, and if they played the clock correctly, there would have been little to no time left and they either win or go ot OT.

Von Essen made a clutch three in the 4th on an inbound pass with :02 on the shot clock and followed that with another three soon after. She was heating up and would have been a great opportunity to see her in crunch time. Looking towards the future of the program.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

TY for the info. Pride she usually doesn't turn it over I'll watch the replay and she couldn't have picked a worse time but u know as well as I that game shouldn't have ended the way it did on senior day on our court. An inbounds pass where we have to foul with .4 seconds left. Give me a break what was the likelihood they could score with .4. We needed to have Swint down low and whatever tall players we have but to foul them with no time on the clock is just HORRIBLE basketball. You're right about our last possession the coach decided it was going to Ineza to drive and maybe get fouled but why not a short jumper. Anything but two blocked shots and why not Brandy Thomas who was having a good game or Emma. I think this coach has dug a hole for herself and she seems passionate about winning too bad.
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

i will say the passing on this team is poor overall - cannot count how many picked off passes ive seen with this team this year - many trying to force the ball down low
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Pride97 wrote:i will say the passing on this team is poor overall - cannot count how many picked off passes ive seen with this team this year - many trying to force the ball down low
Agreed but we were doing better in this game too bad Emma had to turn it over twice. If there's a way to lose for some reason this team will find it!
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

After watching the entire game on replay did see one of the turnovers but after Emma turned the ball over Rosi also turned it over then Ineza turned it over called for a charge which was a bad call. There were so many reasons that they lost this game and in reality it should have never came down to a 1 possession at the end. They shot 10-17 from the FT line which is unacceptable especially when you have guards missing FT's. Its one thing for Swint to miss a FT but Ineza, Knights, Gooden. Probably more then any thing else was our poor defense of the three point line. They hit 11-23 or 48% and they shot so well because on numerous occasions they had WIDE OPEN LOOKS. People missed D assignments over and over again which is usually our strength.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

I remember watching one of our games early in conference play. The announcers said the much improved Hofstra pride, and last year we were eight and 20 at that point we entered conference play, six and five the OOC schedule was one of the weakest in the country, they obviously were only looking at the record
I knew better so at this point we are nine and 18 the next three games do not look good for us so at the end of the year we will probably wind up nine and 21 so I asked the board this question how are we much improved?
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

I'm certainly not blaming the Emma's turnover for the loss. Just seems like the freshman have a smaller margin for mistakes for playing time. Many reasons for that loss, but for me, it was there for the taking and they ended the game on a terrible offensive possession. The center on Monmouth had blocked a few layups already so to think that was the best option seems like a bad choice. There had to have been open looks at that point, but once she started the drive (both times) the only option was shooting. Compound that with the terrible D on the following inbound and that equals their record.

Admittedly, I didn't follow the program before this year, so not sure of the outlook after last season to this one. I feel like a young core of Von Essen, Gooden and Ross-Barnes (maybe Joseph-Bernanrd too but didn't get a lot of run this season) could have a nice future. Would be great if they could work with Swint on her offensive post moves and trying to stay out of foul trouble for her senior season.

Real question - whats the status of the coaching staff? Coach Atkinson seems to have a lot of passion and a good pedigree, but the results havent come yet.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

They deserved a better fate as they let games slip away while going into the 4th quarter with leads against good teams. I thought this team was far better then last years team on paper but yet here we're with a similar record. There could be promise going into next year as we come back a bit more experienced the kids having played a season with each other. They lose Rosi and Thomas both losses and may have Ineza back for 1 more year. So the team might be competitive but we need to get at least one to two scorers from the portal. We need a few double digit scorers to take the pressure off of Emma and Ineza should she return. Our offense left a lot to be desired.