We Made the NCAA Power 36

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
EvanJ

We Made the NCAA Power 36

Post by EvanJ »

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-me ... test-power says:

"36. Hofstra (NR): Time to give the Pride some love. They’ve won 10 straight and sit atop the CAA. "

NR means not ranked last week.
triplec2195

Re: We Made the NCAA Power 36

Post by triplec2195 »

Love this TY for the post Evan now is this the highest ranking HU has ever received??
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

NICE
Wags

Post by Wags »

triplec2195 wrote:Love this TY for the post Evan now is this the highest ranking HU has ever received??
I think Katz had them as high as 33 on this list during that 16-game HU winning streak four years ago. He loves when HU has long winning streaks. :D That also shows that it doesn't matter how bad your conference is - if you keep winning and rise to the top of any league, you'll eventually get national recognition in some form.

But just to be recognized on this list again is obviously good for the program.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Katz also has Hofstra as the team to beat in the CAA tourney:

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-me ... -champions
ZMAN3

Post by ZMAN3 »

This is just stupid - Thrilled HU is playing the way they are - but 36 ? Seriously. Sparty has beaten Indiana, Maryland and Iowa (all on list) and 1 point losses to Purdue and Gonzaga. HU got crushed vs St. Mary's.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

ZMAN3 wrote:This is just stupid - Thrilled HU is playing the way they are - but 36 ? Seriously. Sparty has beaten Indiana, Maryland and Iowa (all on list) and 1 point losses to Purdue and Gonzaga. HU got crushed vs St. Mary's.
ZMAN why ruin this moment?? A lot of us like drinkng this "COOL AID" C'mon get on board, LOL!!
ZMAN3

Post by ZMAN3 »

R U sure this isn't the Cool Aide Jim Jones was serving up ?
PS - HU also crushed by Purdue (as was MSU)
Wags

Post by Wags »

As much as I love seeing HU getting attention on this list, I have to agree with ZMAN here. Being #36 right now would indicate that Hofstra is in pretty good shape for an at large bid at the moment, which we all know is not remotely a possibility. Seems to be a very generous inclusion on the list from Katz to say the least. That said, any time any poll wants to throw some national attention HU's way - deserved or undeserved - feel free!
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

I think they are basing things on our play the last 10 games.
Afterall do you really think we are the same team that lost to St Marys and Purdue in our OOC schedule
Are we #36 not yet but if we win the C AA and win a game in the NCAA then thats another story
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Look can't we just enjoy the moment and not have to analyze this to death fact or fiction. Andy Katz likes HU maybe he likes Speedy or both but I'll take the positive attention.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Oh Z stop it, good grief lol

Typical high major fan out there trying to stomp out mid majors from having any amount of shine - who are you, Jim Nantz?? Or any of those buffoon announcers who were out there trashing the likes of George Mason and VCU making it and then they promptly stuffed it in their faces by making Final Fours :lol:

Maybe MSU should have better regular seasons? OR, OR, maybe don't care because MSU is one of the most famed NCAAT programs of all time with a legendary coach who will always get their attention anyway once they turn on the heat in march madness like they do every year like clockwork!!

Purdue and SMC by the way are top 15 teams. Now you should've called out the Mason, UMass, and MTSU losses, which were awful - THEN I could agree with you! lolol

My goodness man, have a drink and be thrilled with any attention HU can receive!! ;)
ZMAN3

Post by ZMAN3 »

You of all people shouldn't be commenting since you bailed on HU month's ago and now are jumping on the bandwagon. I've been at all the Home games and watched every other one on Flo or regular TV. But I've been a Spartan fan since the early 60's (19 not 18)and an HU fan since my enrollment in '65 - so I just can't go along with some stupid ratings - looks better when it's deserved not fabricated.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

Until April 1-3, 2023 with the Final 4 and Championship games in Houston, aren't all rankings just an opinion and a fabrication? Come on, let us have some fun and speculation. Why do we look a Lunardi's Bracketology if not for fun and speculation. ZMAN3, You have been a loyal HU fan for about SIX DECADES, through 3 home courts, numerous athletic conferences, bad coaches, drunks, scandals, and NCAA snubs, just lighten up! First place and a #1 CAAT seed is an accomplishment taking parts of 3 months,18 games, long travel to road games,too many games in too few days, etc. AD Cole,Jr. making the Wright selection of Speedy now looks pretty good. He's in his 2nd season. If it was a different coach coming to HU, we would be thrilled if this accomplishment was in their 3rd or 4th season. The MSG network affiliation also looks pretty good. Even Newsday has jumped on the HU Bandwagon. This is a time for HU fans to enjoy before the CAAT. We have all had our fan hearts broken through too many CAA seasons, give us a little slack. By the way, my family and I have never bailed on a season.
Last edited by The Shadow on Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ZMAN3

Post by ZMAN3 »

I'm all for the fun and speculation - there's no speculation about them being 36th in the country - it's a stupid poll if that's where they are ranking us - I'd be more interested in a real poll - like Sagarin who has us somewhere around 80.

PS- There is no more loyal fan - maybe as loyal - but not more.
Wags

Post by Wags »

ZMAN3 wrote:I'm all for the fun and speculation - there's no speculation about them being 36th in the country - it's a stupid poll if that's where they are ranking us - I'd be more interested in a real poll - like Sagarin who has us somewhere around 80.

PS- There is no more loyal fan - maybe as loyal - but not more.
I don't want to speak for ZMAN here, but we can enjoy the ride, appreciate the attention, root with everything we have for them to cut the nets in D.C. next week and still be very real about whether Katz is overreaching by placing Hofstra in his Power 36 poll - it doesn't have to be one or the other. I'll gladly take it if Katz or anyone else wants to give that to HU. But do I see where ZMAN (whose HU fandom and loyalty is unquestioned) is coming from as well? Absolutely.

The latest AP Others Receiving Votes is from 26-42, and 41 and 42 only have ONE vote each. If Hofstra truly belonged in the Top 36 on any list right now, wouldn't they have received just one AP vote?
The Coaches poll is through No. 38 based on Others Receiving votes. Again, not a single vote for HU there.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

There is no way of finding this out, but I am guessing that the Power 36 has a stronger correlation with how teams played in the last month than for the season.
Wags

Post by Wags »

EvanJ wrote:There is no way of finding this out, but I am guessing that the Power 36 has a stronger correlation with how teams played in the last month than for the season.
I would hope so. That's the only way it would make sense for some of the teams that were included and excluded.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

ZMAN3, I did refer to you as a loyal fan for 6 decades. I know the HU location on Sagarin, KenPom (#91 currently) and Massey (#94 currently). My family and I are well aware of how difficult it is for HU to get some positive, and well-deserved, local or national recognition. If Andy Katz wants to give us some kudos for a good season, we should gladly all enjoy it. HU is a good story with Coach Speedy as local star athlete (with a great nickname) to the NBA, returns home to coach college.
Except for Seton Hall, St. John's, and Rutgers, it is very difficult for a local NY area college to get ANY recognition. Fordham is having probably its best A10 season with very little local recognition. We all know that HU and Iona have a difficult time scheduling local area teams because of their success. Like I've said before, let's all just enjoy it for a day or so and get ready for a continuation of the win streak and a championship in DC. Remember, polls and rankings fade, banners and rings are forever!