Does this mean they are staying

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
stuball888

Does this mean they are staying

Post by stuball888 »

Hofstra just announced for senior day Nelson Petey Galgano and Warren Williams will be honored for senior day
Question for the board does that mean that Aaron Estrada and Tyler Thomas will be staying an extra year?
garyg

Re: Does this mean they are staying

Post by garyg »

Hope so...sure would be nice !!!!
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

stuball888 wrote:Hofstra just announced for senior day Nelson Petey Galgano and Warren Williams will be honored for senior day
Question for the board does that mean that Aaron Estrada and Tyler Thomas will be staying an extra year?
I noticed this right away as did others but both of them have a legit year of eligibility left at least athletically so this appears to be correct. Why close the door when it's still technically OPEN??
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Does anyone care to voice their opinion on the odds that both of them will be coming back?? Certainly is a very good topic but would rather pursue this after the CAA playoffs are finished.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

I would say the only thing this means is that they haven't 100% told Hofstra they are leaving. I am not surprised by this at all as even if they are thinking of leaving I'd assume they want to leave all options open.

I really can't see Estrada going to a 4th school; so if he leaves it would be to try to make a run at the NBA or play overseas. I'd say a similar situation with Thomas; would he want to transfer again? Maybe but again my opinion would be if he leaves its to play pro ball overseas.
Cards

Post by Cards »

We can only hope!
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

If anyone could persuade them both to stay it would be Speedy. He speaks highly of both and keeps doubling down on Tyler being a 1st team CAA player and of course Estrada as the best player in the league.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

Well looks like the whole premise of this thread is moot. Hofstra is honoring Thomas and Estrada for senior day tomorrow.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Don't they both have an extra fifth year of eligibility?
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Even is they could come back, is it better to honor them knowing you could be honoring them two years in a row, or not honor them and not get a chance to honor them next year? Since we joined the CAA, what player has contributed the most without being honored on Senior Day? Kenny Adeleke? Somebody more recent like Isaac Kante or Tareq Coburn? I am not including a player who played for us for one season like Chaz Williams, who went on to be in the NCAA career assists leaders.
Polito

Post by Polito »

IF HU and AE and TT can find a way to make a return a reality, HU will have a chance to build a mini mid major dynasty with back to backs. Which by the way is EXACTLY what this program needs to do in order to separate itself from the pack, become more attractive to better leagues, and to be the flagship of the AD.

Repeated national attention and success will catapult this program, and this university, esp with a Speedy type at the helm recruiting. As Jay Wright said, a sleeping giant. Still yet to be realized. Can Speedy...?
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

NIL or professional basketball will play a huge role in their decisions. This the new world of college basketball...some Power 5 school can come in and offer Aaron and Thomas, for that matter hundreds of thousands of dollars to play a mercenary year for them...sad but true...surely their families could use the money.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HUSID80 wrote:NIL or professional basketball will play a huge role in their decisions. This the new world of college basketball...some Power 5 school can come in and offer Aaron and Thomas, for that matter hundreds of thousands of dollars to play a mercenary year for them...sad but true...surely their families could use the money.
Sad but true but isn't that how the world works money talks even on the amateur level.
Cards

Post by Cards »

triplec2195 wrote:
HUSID80 wrote:NIL or professional basketball will play a huge role in their decisions. This the new world of college basketball...some Power 5 school can come in and offer Aaron and Thomas, for that matter hundreds of thousands of dollars to play a mercenary year for them...sad but true...surely their families could use the money.
Sad but true but isn't that how the world works money talks even on the amateur level.
When players are getting NIL money, especially if the amount exceeds one year of full ride money, I don't think they are amateurs. Accepting that kind of compensation makes you a professional. Just out of curiosity, does anyone know how the IRS views NIL money? You don't get taxed for scholarship money, but I would think you should be taxed on any NIL money. If so, that certainly would put you in the pro category IMO.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

I knw NIL donations to Hofstra, for example are not tax deductible so I would surmise that a player's earnings are taxable.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Many players do not know about things like paying income taxes. I read that at is hard to be an accountant for pro athletes because some states that charge state income tax charge it to visiting players for whatever percent of their games were in that state, so they have to pay income tax to several states. I wonder if musicians on tour have to pay state income tax to several states also. Imagine if college athletes had to pay taxes to states they have away games in.
CTDutch

Post by CTDutch »

EvanJ wrote:Many players do not know about things like paying income taxes. I read that at is hard to be an accountant for pro athletes because some states that charge state income tax charge it to visiting players for whatever percent of their games were in that state, so they have to pay income tax to several states. I wonder if musicians on tour have to pay state income tax to several states also. Imagine if college athletes had to pay taxes to states they have away games in.
Paying these other state taxes does reduce your home state income tax
Wags

Post by Wags »

triplec2195 wrote: Does anyone care to voice their opinion on the odds that both of them will be coming back??
Not sure what the odds are or if they're coming back, but I know those odds just increased with Speedy being locked up and the threat of St. John's or anyone else taking him away from Hofstra removed for next year.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Is Bryce Washington coming back? He did not get honored on Saturday.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Bryce is a graduate student also