It’s February, and Groundhog Day

Post by stuball888 »

So Hofstra ha is now in first place in the CAA
Will we be seeing Polito?
If he sees his shadow, we will get six more weeks of Polito
triplec2195

Re: It’s February, and Groundhog Day

Post by triplec2195 »

Wow Stu I wonder what Polito would say about that post? You're not trying to compare Polito to a GROUNDHOG ARE U?? LOL Look even Polito has to be happy with the latest goings on here but lets have no letdowns and lose to W&M or Elon. You just don't know in this game of basketball!!
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I should of added S.B. to the games we better not lose.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

We don't play W&M or Elon again in the regular season. We play Stony Brook and Northeastern twice, host Drexel and Hampton, and go to Monmouth. If we are in first after hosting Drexel on Monday February 13, we should stay there because we end Thursday hosting Hampton, Saturday at Stony Brook, Thursday off, and Saturday hosting Northeastern. After going to Monmouth on February 11, we don't have to leave Long Island until the CAA Tournament.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I think my analogy was OK but lets not lose to NE, Monmouth, Hampton etc. We saw what Drexel did to Charleston. We will be favored in all these games but we know we can lose so need to play hard and with purpose no matter who we're playing.
Wags

Post by Wags »

triplec2195 wrote:I think my analogy was OK but lets not lose to NE, Monmouth, Hampton etc. We saw what Drexel did to Charleston. We will be favored in all these games but we know we can lose so need to play hard and with purpose no matter who we're playing.
Absolutely. And it's always easy to get up for games like Charleston and Towson. A lot less so against the type of schedule that's left. They are clearly better than each one of those teams. Between now and leaving for DC it is strictly about not letting the guard down and respecting every opponent as if it's Charleston and Towson even if it's not close to that. If they do that, we should see more of what they did over their first seven CAA wins this year, when they won each of those by 13-24 points.
Wags

Post by Wags »

EvanJ wrote: After going to Monmouth on February 11, we don't have to leave Long Island until the CAA Tournament.
That's a good point. Not only are the final seven games seemingly much easier ones, but those last four, with three at home and the lone road one also on Long Island, there is some big opportunity to rest key guys if they get a lot of blowouts and to not have to hit the road after Feb. 11, they should be feeling great physically before heading to D.C.

Just hope they'd stay sharp for D.C. though if they're not tested much over the last seven games and that's also a long time to go without leaving the area by the time they head to D.C. for a team that was used to going on the road a lot and which has (mostly) played very well on the road in CAA play this year. But I don't think there'd be too much of an adverse effect with that. I think once the whole league gets to D.C. in a tournament setting, it's like everyone's starting over, and who they played and where shouldn't really factor in that much.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Hehe, Stu, you rock buddy - I have kept my word and stayed away from the board for quite some time. However, I have of course been following along behind the scenes, and am very up on what's been transpiring - additionally, I have been bothering Stu, HUSID, and Wags to no end offline :D good people they are!

You are right my friend, it's February and about that time to return. It matters more now. Not gonna lie, the break was fantastic - did not stress an ounce about this program. Rolled my eyes at the (few) losses, and gave a positive head nod of pride with the wins.

With that, I am very happy to come back and see a team in 1st place with some monster wins of late, and very happy to give credit where it's due - this team has it's flaws, and I am not a believer yet that they will have what it takes to cut nets, BUT there is no denying they have battled and put themselves in true contention - kudos to Speedy, the staff, and the players!

This is the time of year when you want to get hot, and HU seems to be on that track - these games matter, so this is a big step in the right direction - what will really matter soon is, can they win when it matters MOST in the CAAT??

TBD.