Women's basketball vs Hampton 1/29 2PM

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
triplec2195

Women's basketball vs Hampton 1/29 2PM

Post by triplec2195 »

We come home to play Hampton tomorrow who's right above us in the standings and coming off a feel good loss to a very good Drexel team our confidence factor will prevail in this game and just feel we're a better team especially playing at home.
CTDutch

Re: Women's basketball vs Hampton 1/29 2PM

Post by CTDutch »

Looks like the game has been added to TV, MSG Plus I believe
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I'll be at that game tomorrow and hope we get another CAA win. A very WINNABLE GAME FOR US.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

TripeC what section do you sit in
I might be at the game
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

stuball888 wrote:TripeC what section do you sit in
I might be at the game
Stu I will sit in my seats that I have for the men's games Section 102 row C 11-13. Sometimes I have to sit in a row lower or higher if someone is sitting in those seats as the tickets I get have no specific seat assignment.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Ok
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Game was a disaster After leading at halftime Hampton ran us out of the gym. Team had 29 turnovers with very sloppy passing and trying to force the ball inside. We dont handle the rock well and we are not very athletic. We also dont shoot the ball well even with the improvement over last year. Will we win more games yes but lets look at conference only. Our OOC schedule was a joke. It was made against most teams with an RPI over 300.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

stuball888 wrote:Game was a disaster After leading at halftime Hampton ran us out of the gym. Team had 29 turnovers with very sloppy passing and trying to force the ball inside. We dont handle the rock well and we are not very athletic. We also dont shoot the ball well even with the improvement over last year. Will we win more games yes but lets look at conference only. Our OOC schedule was a joke. It was made against most teams with an RPI over 300.
Misery likes company and as we watched this game together I thought this was the worst game we played all year at least IMO. The game was close for a while then their full court press unraveled us and quickly put the game out of reach. IDK what the coach is thinking and the lineup she has playing. Ineza not having a good game getting 36 minutes 5 turnovers and scoring 10 points on 3-12 shooting. Somehow Von-Essen only gets 16 minutes 2-3 and scored 6 points with 2 turnovers. I'll say it once again for a team that's desperate for offense why aren't the best shooters on the floor getting minutes. Brandy Thomas who definitely has an offensive presence in the game committed 10 turnovers getting 20 with 10 rebounds but 10 turnovers. She makes some of the worst passes I have ever seen. She has become a turnover machine 29 turnovers in this game leading to 25 points from turnovers. Just pathetic that this coach can't somehow correct this problem all season long. You can't win a game when you turn the ball over 29X and have a weak offensive team. A very disappointing game for a team that was making some progress. EMBARRASING!!
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

Had a chance to watch the replay and agree with al the above.

They just could not handle the pressure in the 3rd quarter - its was like they never seen it before. Admittedly, Hampton was tenacious. I was getting flashbacks of UNCW teams some years ago as they were having so many issues with it.

Tougher team won - Hampton was grittier and wanted it more. Hofstra wilted to the pressure and physicality of the game in the 2nd half.

What I didn't get was the lazy press we tried back. It was just a few players over on the inbounds and just ran with them. No trap attempts - no real pressure. What it did do was leave our half court defense out of position and let to a ton of wide open shots and 52% from the field form Hampton. Would have made way more sense to hustle back on D and get set before they crossed half court.

What i can't get past is the constant turnover issue. EVERY GAME! How has this not been corrected? Just horrible passing all around - especially on the inside. Love Thomas' shooting and rebounding, but 10 turnovers negates a lot of that. Feels like they are constantly passing to players that aren't open. Where is the off ball movement? How do they never have open looks?

I agree Von Essen needs more playing time. However, she needs to work on her defense a bit. Would be great for Nicholson to work with her. She's the best defender on the team IMO and should be moved back to the starting lineup. Also, i think its time to move Gooden to the starting lineup too. I like the way Knights leads on the floor, but we desperately need more scoring and Gooden can provide that.

I'd like to see Swint, Thomas, Nicholsen, Von Essen and Gooden start.

I think the coaches need to really bear down on this team as the season is slipping away. They have talent, but they dont work together well. There is no offensive rhythm and they dont have good enough shooters to live by the 3.

Really hope they can turn this around.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Good points Pride97 the coach who is clearly frustrated talking about the game in the post presser was kind of throwing her hands up in the air. Someone brought up Brandy Thomas and her 20 point production and she said yeah but she turned the ball over too many times. We're lacking two way players on this team. You got kids that can score like Emma but not the best defenders and you have a kid like Ally who can keep turnovers to a minimum, distributes and she plays D but she has trouble scoring. Thomas our best player can score rebound but you don't want her passing the ball. You would think after five years of playing college ball you could make smarter passes. Rosi a good defensive player who can give you some scoring and yes she should start. After seeing so many of these games I can't help but feel that Ineza and Emma don't play well together. Is their some sort of animosity here with Ineza losing her starting roll to Emma and now getting it back. Emma can shoot and often calls for the ball but it seems that players like Ineza don't get her the ball when she's open. The coach knows what's going on so it's up to her to straighten that out. Gooden another good player who like a lot of freshman has up n down games but she is tough and can take it to the basket and shoot the three. This team does shoot the three at 32% but I think the problem is we have a bunch of catch and shoot three point shooters. Maybe Emma can shoot of the dribble. If we aren't getting open looks we can't score from beyond the arc.

Our offense is a problem for sure and constantly trying to pass the ball down low to Swint who scores 7 points a game and shoots 42% from the FT line is not the answer. If you can cleanly get her the ball fine but if she's surrounded by three defenders that's just a turnover in the making. Too many of our turnovers are a direct result of trying to force the ball inside. I'd rather see us taking lower % shots then turning it over time after time only to give the other team a good chance to score on a live ball turnover. We need a shakeup on this team and the coach has very important decisions to make going forward.

I haven't talked about players like Fargo who definitely contributes and Ross-Barnes who could be a big plus down low but she seems to always be hurt. Joseph-Bernard has been getting minutes but is still learning to adjust to the college game.
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

totally agree triplec.

Much better to take a low % shot than get no shot at all with a turnover. They definitely have issues passing and receiving the ball down low. There are not many (if any) shot creators on the roster which makes ball movement imperative to find open looks. Feel like they are faily stagnant on offense without the ball and constantly take contested shots. Swint and Thomas have good size and could be great on the boards. Would be great to take advantage of that on the offensive glass.

Also if the guards could prove they could drive to the hoop it would open the floor up. They dont finish well when they drive unfortunately.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Thomas has a lot of upside but passing isn't one of them and honestly Swint has had some decent games but she's not that athletic. Getting the ball to Swint if she's going to get an easy layup makes sense but how often does that happen. What does happen often is that the ball is stolen leading to a fast break the other way. As I've said before if she gets fouled she shoots less then 50% from the FT line. I rather have Thomas playing down low and go with 5 guards. Lord knows we need the offense. In the last game I couldn't believe that Hampton of a miss got an O rebound and a layup while Swint had her back to the basket and didn't even know that Hampton had scored. Maybe I'm missing something here.

I'm all about supporting this team and have been optimistic and saw some good games but this last one was tough to swallow. Just total disarray in the second half.