MBB recruits 2016

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Polito

Re: MBB recruits 2016

Post by Polito »

lol of course he made the right choice - you only go to W&M if you want to become some annoying politician... or if you fail at that, a shady lawyer :P I kid, I kid! Sorta...

EP playing well, excited for his future at HU

JG gets ok PT for a frosh, it's just that the Hoyas have LOTS of big talent, and they are after at least TWO 5* bigs in this next class, one being Thon Maker - they land him and it's going to be a tough road for JG - don't underestimate the desire for major/starting PT/being THE guy, being close to home so family can be really involved, and the real friendship he and DB have - they could be the next Green/Tanksley friend combo that become stars together

No idea if it will happen, but it is certainly a possibility.
garyg

Post by garyg »

Hopefully DB puts full court press on JG and convinces him to transfer to Hofstra...do not see it happening but would be nice surprise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Polito

Post by Polito »

I know we are in the heart of the season, but can't lie, I'm hungry for some super recruiting news! Pretty dry on my end other than the offers that have been posted... Anyone have some juicy info???
garyg

Post by garyg »

I have heard nothing....to the JG rumor guys...hear anything else???
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Since the halfway mark of the season JGs minutes have increased. From what I have been told he is starting to adjust to life in the DC area. If he gets starters minutes next year then all will be fine but if they bring in another big or two things could change. The staff loves his inside outside game. Unless he gets homesick I think it is now a longshot.
Polito

Post by Polito »

fair enough, if he can get major PT and/or become a starter next yr, then no one can blame him for sticking with the Hoyas, a place well known for big men

will def watch if they land a 5 star guy at his position, that could alter things, but for now seems like he's going to play it out

onward dutch, onward
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

G-town is playing #1 Villanova on CBS right now and the announcers are gushing about Govan, calling him the next great Hoya center. He's not going anywhere.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Anyone hear any other news regarding other prospects?? I know we're in the midst of the season, and its not a signing period, but its been soooooo quiet, and we have sooooo many openings next year.

I suspect we're looking at signing at least one JUCO and maybe one one-and-done or transfer (that maybe can play right away). I still would love to see another strong freshman (wingman).I think its beneficial to get at least two freshman each year. That gives you 8 guys going through the system. I think those are also the guys that the students and fans are most likely to latch on to.
Polito

Post by Polito »

this class is H U G E

there should, and I expect WILL, have 1-2 players who are ready to start and/or make immediate impacts, particularly in the 6'5-6'7 range - whether that's JUCO or a 5th yr, this class needs a couple of guys ready to step in from day 1 and produce - lot of point production, and experience, to replace next yr

there is NO room for error on these scholly's, how far Gustys, Buie, JWF, and EP get to go in their careers rides largely (though not solely) on it!
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Brad Winton ‏@JucoRecruiting
Hofstra has offered South Plains College guard, Che Bob (6'5/2016)

https://twitter.com/JucoRecruiting/stat ... 8631965696
Cards

Post by Cards »

Che Bob would be a nice pickup. Watched some video and he appears to be a pretty strong, physical guard (6-4 or 6-5). Kinda tough like a tanksley but with more skills as a guard. Could play at the 2 or 3. 3 star player. He would be great, but I would still like to see the 6-6 to 6-7 wing that can shoot. he's also being recruited by some big name schools.
Polito

Post by Polito »

I'm thinking a more athletic/explosive version of Jenkins

Big bruising guard, looks to enjoy contact, and at his size will likely be a load to handle on the wing, even at 6'4/6'5 - may not be a superstar in one particular area, but seems to do everything well - drives very strong to the hoop, plays longer than he is and rebounds well, quick hands on D, solid handle, has range to hit the 3, unafraid to bang with the bigs and play above the rim

kind of an interesting situation, was a top 25 kid in NC in '14 class, considered a high major recruit - going to guess grades/qualifying sent him to JUCO first (?) - still a borderline high major guy though best fit is prob at a higher mid like HU, hence the opportunity here - solid 3 star, impact player

I agree that HU desperately needs at least 2 guys in the 6'6-6'7 range, but can also find great use for this kind of player - they need a guy who can be physically aggressive to the hoop, and who has the demeanor and size to handle it - JR may be that next yr, but Bob is certainly that, so can DEF carve a spot for himself

His Offer and Interest list is extremely impressive, both then and now: Cincy, VT, FSU, UNCW, NC State, ECU, Charlotte, WKU, ISU, ASU, and had strong interest from Tennessee and Miami, who both spent time visiting and watching him - seen some video, he's got the tools no question

Was a 20+ ppg guy in hs, and is basically a double-double guy in JUCO - long arms, has a real knock for pulling down boards, and decent FT shooter - guys like that are key for mids who can scoop up slightly undersized guys that can still get the job done
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

BOY, IT'S REAL QUIET HERE....ANY NEWS ON COLLGE FOOTBALL SIGNING DAY????? MISSING THE ACTION!!!!!!
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Guys how many schollies do we have for 2016. By my count we still have 4 is that right.
Buie
JFW
gustys
Robinson
Powers
Sabety
Pemberton
AW
Bernardi
thats nine and 13 is the limit. I am not counting Djambo until I see him on the court.
WE are still very short on the roster again unless we somehow get two or three grad transfers or JUCOs.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

As of now we only have 3 players over 6ft5.
Cards

Post by Cards »

regarding bigs:
As it currently stands, RG is the only impact big I think we can count on. AW (assuming he is still around) has defensive value and can contribute overall, but he is not an impact guy. Although I am fairly optimistic about HS, there is still some uncertainty about how he will perform at the D1 level. Djambo is of course a question mark.

We cant put it all on RG next year. The other teams will be preparing for him......he will need help. he is getting decent help rebounding from Koons and others this year, but right now, the "others" for next year are a question as far as rebounding goes.

Not sure if sabety will be able to play the 4, or how often RG and HS will be on the court at the same time.

Bottom line is that we still need a Koon type replacement - a tall wing or power forward with at least a mid-range game. Not sure if an incoming freshman could even fill that role (unless we recruit a stud)......maybe a JUCO.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

We need at least a Koon replacement and another big at minimum. Elsewhere we are ok but I hope we don't EVER get caught short-handed like we did this year. As for Djambo not sure he has any eligibility left unless he gets a waiver...He already sat out last year and is now out this year.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Tomorrow's game is a H U G E opportunity to market the program and RECRUIT!!

HU needs to have as many recruits as humanly possible tomorrow night - win or lose doesn't matter, it's a major game that will garner some solid coverage, and will be one of the better environments and better attended games all season, this should be treated like a recruit night

Big time setting - GET SOME TALENT IN THE SEATS JM!!
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Funny how we're always reading about all the St. John's and Seton Hall recruits coming for visits but we NEVER hear about recruits visiting Hofstra...Anybody hearing anything???
HofstraFan101

Post by HofstraFan101 »

HUSID80 wrote:Funny how we're always reading about all the St. John's and Seton Hall recruits coming for visits but we NEVER hear about recruits visiting Hofstra...Anybody hearing anything???
Don't believe any visits are scheduled but we are going after a bunch of JC wings. Che Bob is one and a few other guys around the 6/5-6/8 range. JC seems to be the focus.