MBB Game 19 - Delaware, 1/14/23 (Sat), 2 PM

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Hofstra (11-7) hosts Delaware (10-7) this Saturday, slightly more than two weeks after defeating the Hens down in Newark, 87-73.

Since that game, the Hens edged a weak Elon team, hung with CAA-leading Charleston, and shot a season-best 64% in the first half last night to defeat Towson, 72-59.

We will have to play better than we did last night vs. Monmouth to secure a win over Delawere. We can't start the game flat again.

This will be the 101st time Hofstra and Delaware have met in MBB. The game is on FloHoops.

PS -- It's Boy Scout Day, so we may have some extra fans in the stands.

Hofstra's Preview:

https://gohofstra.com/news/2023/1/12/me ... urday.aspx

Delaware Scorches Towson:

https://bluehens.com/news/2023/1/11/men ... ver-towson
Hof_Judge99

Re: MBB Game 19 - Delaware, 1/14/23 (Sat), 2 PM

Post by Hof_Judge99 »

The game will also be on MSG network.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

This is a big weekend for us. We need to beat Delaware at home, where we have not been too sharp lately, then head down to Towson for a Monday, 12 noon encounter with a disappointing Towson team.

We need to separate ourselves from the pack and show that we are in the top three of the CAA along with Charleston and UNCW. It's all in front of us...time to play up to our pre-season expectations, and by the way, ESPN gives us an 81 % chance of beating Delaware.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HUSID80 wrote:This is a big weekend for us. We need to beat Delaware at home, where we have not been too sharp lately, then head down to Towson for a Monday, 12 noon encounter with a disappointing Towson team.

We need to separate ourselves from the pack and show that we are in the top three of the CAA along with Charleston and UNCW. It's all in front of us...time to play up to our pre-season expectations, and by the way, ESPN gives us an 81 % chance of beating Delaware.
Sometimes I wonder if ESPN'S crystal ball needs new batteries but I like an 81% chance of winning for what that's worth. If Delaware is playing without Jameer Nelson who averages around 20 points a game honestly I don't see how they could possibly beat us. He had 22 against us at Delaware. I know they just came off a big win vs Towson who are not playing particularly well and have been without Cam Holden who averages 15 points a game. I like our chances in this game.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Hof_Judge99 wrote: The game will also be on MSG network.
That was a sudden addition. Thank you for saying that. I e-mailed the CAA and Hofstra to tell them to put it on the schedule. I think it will be our first game on MSG since they suddenly added our game at Northeastern on February 2, 2019 because we were on a 16 game winning streak. I do not know when our last home game on MSG was.

https://bluehens.com/news/2023/1/13/men ... road-swing is Delaware's preview.

KenPom predicts us to win 77-69. The CAA fell to 24th in KenPom. The CAA is moving the right way in the Conference NET, as it improved from 24th to 21st. While teams are playing conference games, there is not a chance from conferences to have their rankings change a lot.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

ESPN has us as a 8.5 point favorite I wonder if that factors in Nelson being out or expecting to play.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

triplec2195 wrote:
HUSID80 wrote:This is a big weekend for us. We need to beat Delaware at home, where we have not been too sharp lately, then head down to Towson for a Monday, 12 noon encounter with a disappointing Towson team.

Sometimes I wonder if ESPN'S crystal ball needs new batteries but I like an 81% chance of winning for what that's worth. If Delaware is playing without Jameer Nelson who averages around 20 points a game honestly I don't see how they could possibly beat us. He had 22 against us at Delaware. I know they just came off a big win vs Towson who are not playing particularly well and have been without Cam Holden who averages 15 points a game. I like our chances in this game.
Delaware beat Towson without Nelson,Jr.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Delaware boards also asking whether Nelson is playing
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Jojogunne wrote: Delaware beat Towson without Nelson,Jr.
Towson was without Cam Holden and Jason Gibson, who combined for 30 percent of their points and 44 percent of their assists last season.

http://defiantlydutch.blogspot.com/2023 ... aware.html is Jerry Beach's "I'll Be Quirky: Delaware." The 77-57 win over Monmouth was our fifth unicorn score of the season, meaning the first time we won by that score. Plotnikov became our first player this season to have his only points be the winning shot, meaning the points that gave us a lead that we kept regardless of when in the game it was. We had a tie for our scoring lead in consecutive games for the first time since Loren Stokes and Wendell Gibson scored 18 on January 21, 2004, and Gibson and Kenny Adeleke scored 20 three days later. Warren Williams made 15 of his last 17 field goals. From late in the first in one game to last in the first half against Monmouth, we went 41:05 between free throw attempts. Jerry Beach guesses that that is a record, but there is not a way of finding out.

Edit: Delaware is starting LJ Owens (guard, 10.6 points), Gianmarco Arletti (guard, 4.2 points), Christian Ray (guard, 9.4 points, 9.5 rebounds), Ebby Asamoah (guard, 6.5 points), and Jyare Davis (forward, 16.6 points, 3.4 assists). 9.5 rebounds is extremely high for a guard. He is 6-6, so he is not short.

Here are today's CAA statistics links and KenPom's score expectations:

Drexel at Northeastern at 12:00 P.M. http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcas ... ?id=426952 (KenPom expects Drexel to win 65-64)
After blowing a lead and losing by 1 at Stony Brook, Drexel will be very disappointed if they lose today because they lead 44-28 at halftime. Drexel has very balanced scoring, as all eight of their players scored 4 to 7. Northeastern shot average, but had only 10 rebounds, and Drexel shot extremely well. Northeastern committed only 5 fouls, but Chris Doherty had 3 fouls including a technical, and scored 2 in 7 minutes.

Us at 2:00 P.M. http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcas ... ?id=425819 (KenPom expects us to win 77-69)

Stony Brook at North Carolina A&T at 2:00 P.M. http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=436470 (KenPom expects North Carolina A&T to win 73-67)

Monmouth at Towson at 3:00 P.M. on CBS Sports Network http://stats.statbroadcast.com/statmonitr/?id=428612 (KenPom expects Towson to win 75-58)

Elon at Charleston at 4:00 P.M. http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=424658 (KenPom expects Charleston to win 85-63)

William & Mary at UNCW at 5:00 P.M. on CBS Sports Network (which has a CAA doubleheader) http://stats.statbroadcast.com/statmonitr/?id=426894 (KenPom expects UNCW to win 73-60)
Wags

Post by Wags »

Jojo, a lot of empty areas behind each basket, especially in the Lion's Den, so I'm going to have to adjust that 2,768 number I said in the other thread. Going with 1,964.
Wags

Post by Wags »

14-1 run (and a larger 24-7 run) broke open a close game that was tied, 4-4, and that Hofstra led, 15-10.

Pride kind of took its foot off the pedal after that - Delaware went on a 14-6 stretch to nearly cut the 18-point deficit in half, getting to within in 10, but HU takes a 37-25 lead into the locker room at halftime.

Thought the defense was good through most of the half and thought Williams was once again a good spark off the bench (like he was on Wednesday against Monmouth), and thought Carlos had a nice all-around game at each end of the floor. PLotnikov helped with a couple of big 3s off the bench during the run when HU pulled away. Estrada finished strong (3/4) after starting 0/4 and is quietly the only double-figure scorer (11 pts). Hofstra catching a big break with Nelson out, but can only play who's opposing you and so far, HU has taken this game seriously even without Nelson playing.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Pride coasting, up 60-39 at the U12 (11:21).

Missed their last two shots but were 16/25 from the floor after starting the game 5/18.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

We controlled this game almost from the tip. Sloppy at times but it never felt like we were in trouble.
Williams was a beast, Carlos played well as did Thomas and Estrada who was a bit shaky early.
On to Towson!
Cards

Post by Cards »

As was stated, HU was never in trouble.

I thought our first half defense was the best 20 minutes of D we have played all year. Lots of hard fighting thru picks, intelligent switching, and quick picking up of open men. Good defending the paint and rebounding as well. As we always say, good D will take you far. It was good to see it today.

I was also clear we need to practice controlling the rock when double teamed. We had a few ugly possessions in the second half when UD doubled us as soon as we came across midcourt. We need to work on that to cut down on turnovers.

Overall, HU played well. Good to see WW and JC improving (I have been complaining that both need to turn it up a notch)!
Wags

Post by Wags »

Cards wrote: I thought our first half defense was the best 20 minutes of D we have played all year. Lots of hard fighting thru picks, intelligent switching, and quick picking up of open men. Good defending the paint and rebounding as well. As we always say, good D will take you far.
Agree (at least on the first 15 minutes if not the first 20), I thought this was the tone-setter for this game. After the 14-1 run that put HU up 29-11, I didn't think the Hens were going to get back in it and they didn't. Only 11 points allowed after nearly 15 minutes at that point. They often seem to find enough offense even if they have to struggle for it in some stretches of some games (like today, starting only 5/18, then going 16/25).

Good D won't only take them far, it will be the deciding factor in just how far they go. It was the primary reason they won the title in D.C. three years ago. Would be nice to see them bottle the first 15 minutes defensively today for the rest of the season - would make them very tough to beat no matter who they play.

For all the concern about the inconsistent OOC play, they navigated the first third of CAA pretty well - the only blemish, blowing the 13-point lead with under 10 minutes left against NC A&T. Otherwise, wins by 14, 16, 13, 20, and 24.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Wags wrote:Jojo, a lot of empty areas behind each basket, especially in the Lion's Den, so I'm going to have to adjust that 2,768 number I said in the other thread. Going with 1,964.
The attendance was 2,037, so off by 73 this time after being off by five last game. Will try again on Thursday.
Wags

Post by Wags »

On CBS Sports Network now: UNCW clinging to a 61-60 lead over W&M with under five minutes left. Hofstra stays in a tie for second place with a UNCW win, moves into sole possession of second place with a UNCW loss. Charleston still undefeated in CAA play, winning its 17th straight, beating Elon at home today.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Wags wrote:On CBS Sports Network now: UNCW clinging to a 61-60 lead over W&M with under five minutes left. Hofstra stays in a tie for second place with a UNCW win, moves into sole possession of second place with a UNCW loss. Charleston still undefeated in CAA play, winning its 17th straight, beating Elon at home today.
Not sure I've ever seen a team push fouls to the limit without going beyond like this before, but William & Mary, despite being whistled for 31 personal fouls, has not had anyone foul out yet. The Tribe has six players with four fouls each and two others with three apiece. W&M 63, UNCW 62 with 3:23 left.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

So we are in Sole possession a second place in the CAA as William and Mary beat UNCW 69 to 67 today
Wags

Post by Wags »

Wags wrote:On CBS Sports Network now: UNCW clinging to a 61-60 lead over W&M with under five minutes left. Hofstra stays in a tie for second place with a UNCW win, moves into sole possession of second place with a UNCW loss. Charleston still undefeated in CAA play, winning its 17th straight, beating Elon at home today.
W&M wins, 69-67. Hofstra in sole possession of second place (and a better finish against NC A&T from being tied with Charleston and at least two games ahead of everyone else). That's a pretty good place to be in after the first third of CAA play.