MBB Game 17 - @ William & Mary, 1/7/23, 2 PM EST

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Pride97

Re: MBB Game 17 - @ William & Mary, 1/7/23, 2 PM EST

Post by Pride97 »

I’m very happy with the win - was just curious why the rotation has tightened up.

I saw the post game and agree on the hot hands. I just can’t imagine giving the a few minutes break on the first half would cause them to lose every game. I imagine the percentage of teams that have four players play 35+ minutes is low.

Again great win. Great to see them keeping their foot on the pedal when they got up 15+.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Wags wrote:
Pride97 wrote: Hard to argue with a convincing win, but i'm perplexed by. the lack of use of the bench. Its like we are sliding into JAM
JAM, whose team won HU's only conference tourney title in the CAA that way, with virtually no bench at all.

Like Speedy said today, he's aware of it, and would like to work the bench in more, but it's hard to take guys out when they're playing that well. I agree with him.

Do you want to see other guys get minutes or do you want to win? There will be times the bench will be called upon. Today simply wasn't one of those days. Take the comfortable win and move on to the next one. They took care of business on this trip. No need to search for problems when there weren't many today or in the last game.
Wags I agree...also many of the later minutes were low stress as we had a comfortable lead and we were running out the clock...funny everyone talks about lack of offensive rebounds but when you shoot over 60 percent and most of those points are in the paint there are not too many to be had.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Wags wrote:
Pride97 wrote: Hard to argue with a convincing win, but i'm perplexed by. the lack of use of the bench. Its like we are sliding into JAM
JAM, whose team won HU's only conference tourney title in the CAA that way, with virtually no bench at all.

Like Speedy said today, he's aware of it, and would like to work the bench in more, but it's hard to take guys out when they're playing that well. I agree with him.

Do you want to see other guys get minutes or do you want to win? There will be times the bench will be called upon. Today simply wasn't one of those days. Take the comfortable win and move on to the next one. They took care of business on this trip. No need to search for problems when there weren't many today or in the last game.
This seems more of a style problem, as Speedy comes from the Mihalich tree...most coaches don't struggle to this degree getting the bench minutes. Certainly not when you have guys like Marshall and Plotnikov available to round out an 8 man rotation.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

North Carolina A&T got an attendance of only 1,904 on a weekend hosting a school from the same state, which dropped their average below our 2,500. We are third in the CAA in attendance behind Charleston and UNCW. Our four home games are the fewest in the CAA.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Pride97 wrote:I’m very happy with the win - was just curious why the rotation has tightened up.

I saw the post game and agree on the hot hands. I just can’t imagine giving the a few minutes break on the first half would cause them to lose every game. I imagine the percentage of teams that have four players play 35+ minutes is low.

Again great win. Great to see them keeping their foot on the pedal when they got up 15+.
It'll probably depend on the game, and matchups in certain games, and foul trouble. If things are going well with the starters, no need to force bench minutes. If things are not going well or there's foul trouble, the rotation will lengthen and bench minutes will increase. And I think that's the right approach.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Cards wrote:I think that its Triplec. Speedy has JC playing less and less minutes at the point, so why does he need to be in there for 35 minutes if hes not the PG. Let marshall or Plotnikov come in for JCs no PG time. Carlos only had 11 because the team was letting him try and score. As far as rebounds go, HU is crashing the defensive boards the last few games, so all of a sudden JC is getting boards. I think if Marshall played JCs 35 minutes he would have more of an impact on the boards. I think the issue with Marshall is that he needs more playing time to be more comfortable, reduce his turnovers and rookie mistakes......JC does not make as many of those mistakes. Im not saying that JC does not bring some stability to the court, but I don't see the logic of AM only getting 3-5 minutes (especially in an easy win).
It does seem like Marshall could be a better option but I don't think Speedy wants Estrada to be THE point guard. We had a similar problem when we had Burgess running the point and he didn't score much. He was a good defensive player and had size at 6'3. He now scores 2.5 points a game and doesn't start for unc Asheville. Burgess is a better defender then Carlos but even I have to admit that I believe Carlos is playing better D and is a better shooter then we give him credit for but his 3 point shooting % is only 25 and his overall shooting is 34%. I get the feeling that Speedy likes Carlos in the game and he's averaging over 4 assists a game. He's second in the conference in assists to turnover ratio at 2.22 and 8th in steals at 1.59 a game. The kid has upside just hasn't shown his scoring skills as yet.